Solved

New Build, Around $800ish

Budget is around $800, subject to flexibility. My current build idea (which I would appreciate input on) is just over $930. Ideally I would get that down but I could deal with this price as a max. Here is what I have right now:

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ($40)

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k ($230)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ($135)

Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2gb 256bit GDDR5 ($205)

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R ($56)

HDD: Western Digital WD Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (free)

DVD: ASUS 24X DVD Burner ($24)

Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 ($90)

Monitor: ASUS VS Series VS238H-P ($150)

I am open to revisions to this one (and clear explanations of why) or completely new builds in the $800-900 area. I'm not worried about a mouse or keyboard but am wondering about getting some speakers maybe? Just some low end ones, this is a gaming rig first, then light editing and web stuff. Also, maybe some cheaper RAM? Thanks in advance.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build 800ish
  1. Best answer
    Get low profile RAM. You will need it if you put an aftermarket cooler on the CPU to overclock it.

Personally I would get a cheaper PSU (xfx 550w), i5 3470 with h77 motherboard.

Use all the saved money to get a better GPU. (gtx660/hd7870)
  2. Now that I see the big price difference between the 3570k and the 3470 in addition to the fact that I'm not planning on overclocking in the near future I think I might actually go for the 3470 instead. 50 bucks is a big difference in price, but in regards to the mobo, any particular h77 model you recommend? The only downside that I can see to an h77 vs a z77 is there is no overclocking on the h77?
    also, for the psu, will 550w be enough? i have no clue when it comes to figuring out psu's
  3. You can only overclock a 'k' series CPU. If you are getting an i5 3470, you can get an h77 mobo and save money. You can always still get a z77 but you won't be able to overclock still.

A good 550w PSU will power any modern CPU and GPU combo.

Use the saved money to get a better GPU.
  4. tiny voices said:
    You can only overclock a 'k' series CPU. If you are getting an i5 3470, you can get an h77 mobo and save money. You can always still get a z77 but you won't be able to overclock still.

A good 550w PSU will power any modern CPU and GPU combo.

Use the saved money to get a better GPU.

ok, thanks for that info, i think i'm going to use the money saved to go for a msi 7870, but i'm still not sure about the ram. you said i should get low profile ram to make room for an aftermarket cooler for the cpu, but since i'm not overclocking i won't need an aftermarket cooler, thus not having low profile ram is ok right? unless you can recommend cheaper but comparable ram. thanks
  5. http://www.outletpc.com/ei7671.html?utm_source=ei7671&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker

Just in case you ever get a cooler or use them in another computer or get a k series chip and decide to overclock.

It doesn't really matter though.
  6. cheers, any money i can save is good for me, even if it's only a few bucks. do you think i should buy an extra fan or should i be good with the one 12cm in front? it only sustains around 1.0-1.1k which isn't great but i've read that the case still has great air flow. i was thinking of popping in another 12cm either in the back, side, or top. is it needed or just something to put in if i have the money?
    i was thinking this one if i need it:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SickleFlow-Computer-R4-L2R-20AC-GP/dp/B0026ZPFCK/ref=pd_sim_e_1
  7. If you get another fan. use it in the rear of the case as an exhaust fan.
  8. i'm still not sure about the mobo's. my thinking is why not go for the z77 i had picked out originally and spend the extra money. why go for the h77?
  9. Because you won't be overclocking the i5 3470 and you are wasting money on a feature you will not use.
  10. Best answer selected by wildcat2015.
  11. Best answer selected by wildcat2015.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems