Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

3D Set up - Samsung S23A700D

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 15, 2013 4:39:49 AM

I have a AMD 7870 Graphic card & intend to purchase Samsung S23A700D monitor to play 3D games. The problem is the CPU is about 5 meters further from the Monitor. My question is will i be able to play 3D games @ 1080p @ 120hz if i connect it through HDMI or use a DVI to HDMI connector ? I already have a premium 1.4HDMI cable and would want to know if i could get 3D working on it @ 1080p. Any help would be really appreciated.

More about : set samsung s23a700d

January 15, 2013 4:54:03 AM

Asheel said:
I have a AMD 7870 Graphic card & intend to purchase Samsung S23A700D monitor to play 3D games. The problem is the CPU is about 5 meters further from the Monitor. My question is will i be able to play 3D games @ 1080p @ 120hz if i connect it through HDMI or use a DVI to HDMI connector ? I already have a premium 1.4HDMI cable and would want to know if i could get 3D working on it @ 1080p. Any help would be really appreciated.



If the HDMI cable or whatever cable your going to use is long enough and can reach, then you would have no problem playing.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 129 C Monitor
January 15, 2013 5:04:04 AM

Asheel said:
I have a AMD 7870 Graphic card & intend to purchase Samsung S23A700D monitor to play 3D games. The problem is the CPU is about 5 meters further from the Monitor. My question is will i be able to play 3D games @ 1080p @ 120hz if i connect it through HDMI or use a DVI to HDMI connector ? I already have a premium 1.4HDMI cable and would want to know if i could get 3D working on it @ 1080p. Any help would be really appreciated.


No, at least not at 60hz. HDMI only supports up to 24hz (possibly 30hz with hack) at 1080p. It can support up to 720p at 60hz in 3D.

You'll have to use Dual-link DVI-D for 60hz at 1080p in 3D and 120hz in 2D. That is the only monitor I know of that supports dual link dvi-d with AMD, but it apparently works.
Share
Related resources
January 15, 2013 5:06:07 AM

Thanks for the reply, so 3D @ 1080p @ 60 hz per eye would work on HDMI and i do not require a Dual DVI cable to get it working? I have read in few forums that only through dual DVI i would be able to get 3D @ 1080p working and not HDMI .
HDMI is restricted to 24hz @ 1080p.
Score
0
January 15, 2013 5:11:40 AM

bystander said:
No, at least not at 60hz. HDMI only supports up to 24hz (possibly 30hz with hack) at 1080p. It can support up to 720p at 60hz in 3D.

You'll have to use Dual-link DVI-D for 60hz at 1080p in 3D and 120hz in 2D. That is the only monitor I know of that supports dual link dvi-d with AMD, but it apparently works.


Thanks, so ill have to probably buy a 5 meters long Dual DVI cable to get this working . Does the length of the cable have anything to do with get this working or impact on performance ?
Score
0
a c 129 C Monitor
January 15, 2013 5:13:53 AM

I don't believe the performance difference would be enough to notice. I have used a 6' DL DVI-D cable and didn't notice any problem.
Score
0
a c 129 C Monitor
January 15, 2013 5:17:26 AM

Though when I did, I did not try 3D Vision with it. You might want to test it out both ways to see if there is a difference. 3D is far more sensitive to latency than 2D as it has to sync up with the glasses.
Score
0
January 15, 2013 5:21:39 AM

Yes, but the problem is i cannot move the monitor or the CPU from where it is cuz of the set up i have :(  I probably have to just hope it works and gamble on it . Thanks for the help .
Score
0
a c 129 C Monitor
January 15, 2013 5:26:09 AM

Asheel said:
Yes, but the problem is i cannot move the monitor or the CPU from where it is cuz of the set up i have :(  I probably have to just hope it works and gamble on it . Thanks for the help .


I was thinking in terms of a temp test. Put the two together when you get it, and try it out both ways to make sure you aren't seeing any extra ghosting as a result of possible increase input latency.
Score
0
January 15, 2013 5:33:28 AM

Best answer selected by Asheel.
Score
0
January 15, 2013 5:35:26 AM

bystander said:
I was thinking in terms of a temp test. Put the two together when you get it, and try it out both ways to make sure you aren't seeing any extra ghosting as a result of possible increase input latency.



Yup, will do , just ordered the monitor. Should get it in 2-3 days.
Score
0
!