Sign in with
Your question

385 watt psu... can i buy HD 7750 or GT640?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2013 6:56:33 AM

Hello,
i am a little bit confused because i have a 385 watt psu (10years old) with 75% efficiency and i want to buy HD 7750 or GT 640.. can my psu run them and if yes which one do you purpose?
January 15, 2013 7:13:16 AM

I forgot to tell you I have an i3 3220 processor and 4GB 1600Mhz Ram
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 7:36:02 AM

Theoretically it would run but the problem is how long... It's DEFINITELY not recommended. There's a reason for that. I had a friend who tried the same and the PSU ended up breaking the graphics card -- it started showing heavy artifacting, even in POST/BIOS. So I don't recommend it.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 7:52:14 AM

why risk it, for your peace of mind, get a better psu and dont skimp too much :) 
it will serve you well in your future upgrades, and imo, it is not good to use the 100% of your psu capacity, even the efficiency drops at that level
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 12:10:11 PM

Change you psu and then upgrade gpu.it is risky and if your psu not able to handle gpu then your psu will become kaboom and it may also take gpu with it.there are been case of gpu death because of psu failure.
January 16, 2013 7:29:32 PM

THANKS guys.. you were very helpful :D 
January 16, 2013 9:51:21 PM

rene13cross said:
Theoretically it would run but the problem is how long... It's DEFINITELY not recommended. There's a reason for that. I had a friend who tried the same and the PSU ended up breaking the graphics card -- it started showing heavy artifacting, even in POST/BIOS. So I don't recommend it.

http://www.compucase.de/en/support/product-archive/prod...

this is my psu... what do you think?
January 16, 2013 9:52:55 PM

ASHISH65 said:
Change you psu and then upgrade gpu.it is risky and if your psu not able to handle gpu then your psu will become kaboom and it may also take gpu with it.there are been case of gpu death because of psu failure.

ok i understand... by the way this is it ... what do you think?
http://www.compucase.de/en/support/product-archive/prod...

!