All ordered, jus a few questions!

Sup guys. I've finally got round to making a build and im damn excited..
Jus a few questions really relating to this build.. But first; the Spec.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£251.16 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.90 @ Amazon - FREE P&P)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£156.98 @ Novatech - FREE P&P)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£64.99 @ Amazon UK - FREE P&P)
Storage: OCZ Vertex Plus R2 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£100 @ Amazon UK - FREE P&P)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£309.99 @ Amazon UK - FREE P&P)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.14 @ Aria PC)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans (£17.33 @ Amazon UK - FREE P&P)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£88.96 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.19 @ Dabs)
Operating System: Windows 8 64bit (Already Own)
Additonal Storage: Samsung HD103UJ 1TB 7200 32MB (Already own)

Total:
Prices include VAT, Taxes, Postage and all that other shite!. £1229.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-05 01:34 GMT+0000 then modified by me ;p

Here we go then,
Should I look at possibly overclocking? if so, using the auto features on the mobo, or actually learn it?
how can I optimize the bios? Any p8z77 users out there! Other than wifi go, what are the good feature of this mobo I can put to good use?(TPU/EPU)
Can someone explain how i will setup the Hard drives and what raid is?
Ill be back within the fortnight aswell to show the finished result
4 answers Last reply
More about ordered questions
  1. Actually learn how to do it, the auto-overclock features will only take you so far and aren't as... tidy almost as doing it yourself.
    Other than making sure that everything is set right, there isnt really any way to optimize the BIOS. Most I can think of is ensuring your boot order is correct and minimizing the amount of time the mobo splash screen appears.

Speaking of storage, see if you can cancel the order on that SSD. The original OCZ Vertex is a first gen SSD, notorious for degrading in performance quite quickly as they didn't support or have functions similar to TRIM.
    If you want to stick with OCZ, the Vector and Vertex 4 are great drives. If not, then the 840 Pro is a good option as well.

If your just after a JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks) then its as simple as plugging all the HDD's in, formatting them and your all good.
    If you want to make a RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive/Independant Disk's) then its a bit more complex. Rather than write down everything to do with RAID, I'l link you to a video tutorial on it.
    For the average home user RAID 1 and 0 are all you need to be concerned about, RAID 5,6 and 10 are more for business applications.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYBtmVMtH1g

EDIT: I'm bored, so will quickly outline the different RAID levels :D.

RAID 1, also known as mirroring.
    Its when you have two (or any even number of drives) that all contain the same data. When you write something, it writes to both drives. This means that any one drive can fail and you will still have your data on the other. No performance difference except for a small difference in read speeds. If you have two 1TB drives, you only have 1TB of effective storage.

RAID 0, doesn't fit the technical definition of RAID for reasons I will explain.
    When you have two or more drives, and each drive records every alternating bit of data. This means you get better performance as each drive is only doing half the work in both read and write tasks. However, it actually makes your array less redundant. If any one drive in the RAID 0 array fails, you lose all your data, and this risk multiplies exponentially for every drive in the array.
    Increase to read and write performance, reduced redundancy. If you have two 1TB drives, you have 2TB of effective storage.

RAID 10, 1+0 = 10 right?
    Basically it is two RAID 1 arrays, arranged in RAID 0 with each other. You get the redundancy of RAID 1 (any one drive in either RAID1 array can fail and you have your data) and the performance of RAID 0. Need a minimum of 4 drives, with it being multiples of four from there.
    Increased redundancy, increased performance. If you have four 1TB drives, you have an effective 2TB of storage.

RAID 5 and 6 require a dedicated RAID card to get decent performance.

Both are fairly similar, they are different numbers of drives that kind of act like they are in RAID 0 but the data is spread in such a way that if one of the drives fails, it is possible to guess what was inside the failed drive and reconstruct the array. 5 and 6 are basically just that, and require different amounts of drives to do either way.
  2. I would suggest to learn overclocking as Auto-overclock are never as high as manual overclocking and they're not optimised (only standard value to not compromise stability) my board clock my 3770k at 4.1ghz 1.28V with 1600mhz ram and i'm at 4.83ghz 1.35V with 2240mhz ram as i raised the base clock (not recommended for beginer as it's dangerous for data corruption and GPU damage)

For RAID, here's a description of different RAID setup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

PS: With the auto tuned voltage i can reach 4.5ghz over the 4.1 programmed so like i said auto overclock put too much voltage too for the clock it set...
  3. spawnkiller said:
    I would suggest to learn overclocking as Auto-overclock are never as high as manual overclocking and they're not optimised (only standard value to not compromise stability) my board clock my 3770k at 4.1ghz 1.28V with 1600mhz ram and i'm at 4.83ghz 1.35V with 2240mhz ram as i raised the base clock (not recommended for beginer as it's dangerous for data corruption and GPU damage)

For RAID, here's a description of different RAID setup: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

PS: With the auto tuned voltage i can reach 4.5ghz over the 4.1 programmed so like i said auto overclock put too much voltage too for the clock it set...

#
    I read the link on wikipedia about RAID, isit something i should steer clear of in this setup until future(256 ssd/1tb hdd)
  4. Thanks alot for your explanation and the link to the video. Jus cleared up alot for me, basic..but the visual imagery helped.

I will jus research alot into overclocking when the system is finally setup and i know how it runs, if i really want to do it so on so forth.

saying that the SSD i gout could be bad, has made think maybe i want to raid 1, onto a cheap hard drive just incase.

Do programs run faster from RAID 0, compared to SSD when reading data?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Amazon Systems