Highest min spec for a graphic intensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

escribblings

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
I am doing some research for a new build. The build itself will probably be in Q3, but I am not fully decided. It all depends on how much performance increase Haswell provides over Ivybridge, especially how much (if any) the move from the HD2000 to the HD4600 IGP will affect the performance of discrete GFX cards.

Whilst I am pondering that one, I am also pondering the GFX card itself. I am an Nvidia fan, I'll say that straight away. I know AMD/ATi cards may offer better bang for buck, I just prefer Nvidia.

Now I have been doing some research into graphically intensive games, and their minimum/recommended system requirements.

Several games pop-up time and time again as being intensive - BF3, Crysis, Skyrim, &c...

But unless I am missing something, I have not seen a title mentioned that is intensive and released within the last 12 months (please correct me if I am wrong).

So I have 2 questions in total.

1. What game would you say is the most demanding - when played on a machine with the manufacturers recommended settings?

2. What game lists the highest minimum/recommended system requirements (on the box)?

3. What game is the most demanding when everything is set to max?

4. What is the minimum spec card that would play the answer to #3?

Thank you, and sorry for all the questions?

escribblings

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
Well to be fair I am going to be building a rig that will likely remain unchanged for 3-5 years (a promise to my wife considering how much I am looking to spend), so some form of future-proofing is needed but I agree to a certain extent.

I asked the question around min specs as I can cope with lower detail towards EoL, provided that EoL is a reasonable chunk down the line.

The fact that I have yet to find a game that has been released that references anything higher than a gtx5xx series as recommended is what lead me to the question in the first place.

FC3 looks interesting.

Depending on the impact the rumourd gtx 7xx series will have on prices, I will probably end up with Sli 670's.

OK lets start by answering your qs

1. Kinda redundant q. Not sure what you eman?

2. Crysis 3 when it comes out. Right now its FarCry 3

3. Far Cry 3 again. But that will change soon as drivers are fixing those issues.

4. Depends on your resolution. If HD then I should at least suggest an HD7950/GTX660ti for far cry 3. If not HD then an HD7850 or GTX650ti. Both of the AMDs are in this case better value for money.

2 x HD7970s are the same price and outperform the GTX670s by far. That's the hard truth.

DelYonn

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
It depends... Going SLI can bring problems and frame stutter.

Especially with AMD/ATI cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.