Commander - damned if you do, damned if you don't

I only started playing CO when I called for supplies and got the reply that it was not
avail because we had no CO. Ok, fine, having ANYONE who can drop supplies and call in
the occasional arty strike is better than nothing. So after a while of getting the hang
of it, I actually enjoy being commander from time to time, but it's not my first choice,
I like to get out and fight.

But if I'm going to play anything, I like to be the best I can be and learn from my
mistakes and also from other commanders. Here now in no particular order are things NOT
to do as a commander.

1) Do NOT repeat "Enemy infantry spotted" 10,000 times when the UAV is ALREADY TELLING
US WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW!!!

2) Do NOT call out enemy troop locations on the other side of the map when the
information is of ZERO use to ANYONE. Why tell us there are troops in the enemy base in
Karkand if there's nobody within 3 grids of that location and there are NO aircraft that
can possibly benefit from your canny observation skills?

3) Do NOT fire your artillery the split second it becomes available, do your scans and
UAV recon first! If all targets have too many friendlies around, then by all means shell
the enemy arty so you don't have it sitting there doing nothing.

4) Do NOT ignore calls for supplies! This is based on my personal rant of being Spec
Forces on MEC playing Clean Sweep and trying to C4 all the USMC artillery, UAV & Sat in
their base. I called for supplied 5 times, and was summarily rejected even after typing
in team chat who I was and why I need a drop. I had to steal a chopper and fly BACK to
my base to find a support guy to give me ammo. ARG!!!

5) Do NOT ignore calls for health, ammo, or repairs from your troops! All too often
there's nobody around to answer the call, and it's up to YOU to take care of your men. I
don't know how many times the tide of battle has turned by dropping a crate on some
badly damaged vehicles trying to attack / defend.

6) Know you squads behavior! Some will obey orders and communicate effectively while
others are off in another world... I was repeatedly ordered to attack bases on the
opposite side of the map on Clean Sweep last night as USMC spec forces who was attacking
& defending the captured MEC base. The CO on crack was ordering me to attack flags on
the opposite side of the map over and over and over and over... I wish squad leaders
could just mute moron commanders sometimes. Ordering squad #6 (mine) to the opposite
side of the map when I'm obviously doing my job at the enemy base is pointless,
irritating, and a waste of time.

7) Do NOT spend a lot of time if any fighting in combat, your job is to COMMAND not
FIGHT! Sure the occasional flag defend or repair of UAV, Sat or Arty is fine, but you
have no business being up in the front lines unless absolutely necessary. By this I mean
you took over CO as there was none and you needed supplies. I've done this and then
later in the map had mutiny votes called (no doubt from someone who just joined) because
some genius thinks he's the best CO ever and assumes you must be a dolt if you are up in
the front fighting. You wanna lead next map? Fine! But I'll finish a job I started,
especially if the way the battle is going looks like the current strategy is working.

I've had some very gratifying moments as commander where I doled out supplies to those
who needed them most, attacked when prudent, fell back and defended as required, and
never ever give up. I had a USMC team that was behind upwards of 100 points on Gulf of
Oman and slowly and gradually turned the tide and won I think 7-0 at the very end of
time. And of course I've had other moments where I've called in arty on targets, yelled
out warnings, only to have retards drive in under it and then ALL file so the tk/punish
and server kick boots you from the server.

Sigh....

I know there are more, but that's about all I can come up with right now...

ace72

ace72ace <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in news:SsOdnQUW4YqFEJHeRVn-
2w@comcast.com:

> Here now in no particular order are things NOT
> to do as a commander.

Nice list.

I'd point out that a lot of the items on the map aren't intuitive so it
takes awhile to learn all the things you can do with it. I still have't
used the selector buttons along the bottom, as I don't know how to use
them effectively. I did find the squad selectors late in the game and the
ability to send commands to different squads.

I do wish requests would hang around in a separate chat log where I can
click on them and send the stuff in late, once my equipment charges and
the previous commitment is over. I wish I could see names in the squad
lists, as I get to know the people in the different squads and know their
quirks and abilities. Having a squad name as well as number is also
useful. (As a squad leader, pay attention to your number, as that's what
the commander knows!)

Against a good spec ops, I'm usually using supplies to keep the equipment
repaired. If it's available, I'll make them available to anyone who needs
them. And I'll drop supplies in a just-acquired zone to help the guys
there make the next push.

There's a nice right-click menu in the squad selector so you can
complement a squad or let them know you've got stuff available if they
need it.

The V and B VOIP buttons are important. B goes down the chain of command
(or sideways) and V goes up. (It's a bit more complicated than that, but
that's how I think of them.) Note the color of the speaker when you hit
those keys. Green for B and yellow with a star for V.

ace72ace <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in

> I only started playing CO when I called for supplies and got the reply
> that it was not avail because we had no CO. Ok, fine, having ANYONE
> who can drop supplies and call in the occasional arty strike is better
> than nothing. So after a while of getting the hang of it, I actually
> enjoy being commander from time to time, but it's not my first choice,
> I like to get out and fight.

Same here. If you like to command, stop by the "(MA)" servers. I'm happy to
hand over the reins if asked politely. Form a squad and then "V" me to let
me know you'd like the position. (That's a good clue that you know how to
use the controls.)

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> ace72ace <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in
>

>>I only started playing CO when I called for supplies and got the reply
>>that it was not avail because we had no CO. Ok, fine, having ANYONE
>>who can drop supplies and call in the occasional arty strike is better
>>than nothing. So after a while of getting the hang of it, I actually
>>enjoy being commander from time to time, but it's not my first choice,
>>I like to get out and fight.
>

> Same here. If you like to command, stop by the "(MA)" servers. I'm happy to
> hand over the reins if asked politely. Form a squad and then "V" me to let
> me know you'd like the position. (That's a good clue that you know how to
> use the controls.)

I've had weirdness with my voice comms as even when I can hear myself just fine thru my
mic the voice bind in my Controls (mouse 4) does nothing? As a result I end up just
using my own Ventrilo server with my friends when we play.

ace72ace <nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

> 7) Do NOT spend a lot of time if any fighting in combat, your job is
> to COMMAND not FIGHT!

Depends, I've found that on 16-servers it usually pays to fight and
call for stuff using the T-key. On the small servers, fights are too
fast-paced to allow much control - support as good as you can, but
every hand is needed to do fighting as well.

But let's not forget:

8) Do NOT use VoIP to tell every individual soldier/squad exactly what
to do, where every enemy is, etc. - it's very annoying to hear a
commander constantly driveling "5, there's a guy around the corner - 2,
tank coming" etc., this is what the MAP is for. Mark the enemy
positions on the map, send assignments to the squads, and LET THEM DO
THEIR JOB

9) If a squad declines a mission, it might have a bloody good smegging
reason for it! Don't bitch about for 5 minutes on VoIP, take a look at
the map - and you'll discover that the squad leader who declined to
rush forward on your order just defended a flag against somebody from
the other team...

Juergen Nieveler
--
Between two evils, always pick the one you haven't tried

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"ace72ace" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message

> 2) Do NOT call out enemy troop locations on the other side of the map when
> the information is of ZERO use to ANYONE. Why tell us there are troops in
> the enemy base in Karkand if there's nobody within 3 grids of that
> location and there are NO aircraft that can possibly benefit from your
> canny observation skills?

It CAN be helpful. If I see the red dot is near where the enemy's assets
are, I can assume it's an engineer repiaring them. Perhaps I'm willing to
go Spec Ops and turn that around. If it's just an enemy flag, then it at
least alerts me that the base is likely being defended so if I was
*thinking* of headed that way, I know that I may likely be greated at the
front door. If I see that red dot right is at a spot where I know a tank
respawns, then I know he's waiting for the tank and that I can expect it to
come lumbering in from that direction in a minute or so.

> 5) Do NOT ignore calls for health, ammo, or repairs from your troops! All
> too often there's nobody around to answer the call, and it's up to YOU to
> take care of your men. I don't know how many times the tide of battle has
> turned by dropping a crate on some badly damaged vehicles trying to attack
> / defend.

Yup. But on the other hand, people wouldn't have to make so many requests
if they played as squads that stuck together and had a variety of kits to
help each other out.

> 6) Know you squads behavior! Some will obey orders and communicate
> effectively while others are off in another world... I was repeatedly
> ordered to attack bases on the opposite side of the map on Clean Sweep
> last night as USMC spec forces who was attacking & defending the captured
> MEC base. The CO on crack was ordering me to attack flags on the opposite
> side of the map over and over and over and over...

They're often telling you to attack what seems like off-beat locations
because they know those locations are completely undefended. It makes no
sense to ignore a commander and go for a different flag just because it's
closer. He many know the flag you think is easier just 'cause it's closer
is crawling with enemy and is best left alone for the moment until he can
pound them down a bit with his next round of arty. That said, though, it
doesn't make any sense for a commander to order you to the other side of the
map when there are other squads closer to that target. There's a possible
chance, though, he's asking you because the closer squads are completely
ignoring him.

> 7) Do NOT spend a lot of time if any fighting in combat, your job is to
> COMMAND not FIGHT! Sure the occasional flag defend or repair of UAV, Sat
> or Arty is fine, but you have no business being up in the front lines
> unless absolutely necessary.

I absolutely whole heartedly agree with this. The worst is to see a
commander hanging out nearby his assets but playing as something like a
sniper instead of an engineer. If you're going to hang out next to your
arty, at least play as engy so you can repair them.

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"Juergen Nieveler" <juergen.nieveler.nospam@arcor.de> wrote in message
> ace72ace <nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

> 9) If a squad declines a mission, it might have a bloody good smegging
> reason for it! Don't bitch about for 5 minutes on VoIP, take a look at
> the map - and you'll discover that the squad leader who declined to
> rush forward on your order just defended a flag against somebody from
> the other team...

Yup. Personally, I'd rather have a squad leader be honest and decline and
order instead of the far more common action: blindly accepting all orders
whether or not they actually intend to try and carry them out. Just to keep
the commander 'happy'.

ace72ace wrote:

> I know there are more, but that's about all I can come up with right now...

8) Don't switch objectives all the time. Even if an order is not
perfect, leave it be for a while. Set general objectives, and led the
squads get on with it.

regards,

Achtung Ecco

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote:

>> 5) Do NOT ignore calls for health, ammo, or repairs from your troops!
>> All too often there's nobody around to answer the call, and it's up
>> to YOU to take care of your men. I don't know how many times the tide
>> of battle has turned by dropping a crate on some badly damaged
>> vehicles trying to attack / defend.
>
> Yup. But on the other hand, people wouldn't have to make so many
> requests if they played as squads that stuck together and had a
> variety of kits to help each other out.

However, it would be nice if people learned that just yelling "I need
ammo" is not the same as requesting a supply crate.

And it's especially dumb to yell for ammo or medics and still go driving
around the map - I've dropped scores of supply crates that went unused
because the "unarmed wounded soldier" ran to the other end of the map,
all the while hitting the "I need ammo"-key every 10 seconds.

>> 7) Do NOT spend a lot of time if any fighting in combat, your job is
>> to COMMAND not FIGHT! Sure the occasional flag defend or repair of
>> UAV, Sat or Arty is fine, but you have no business being up in the
>> front lines unless absolutely necessary.
>
> I absolutely whole heartedly agree with this. The worst is to see a
> commander hanging out nearby his assets but playing as something like
> a sniper instead of an engineer. If you're going to hang out next to
> your arty, at least play as engy so you can repair them.

You can repair the arty by dropping a supply crate next to it. But you
can't do that if you've been killed by a SpecOps a few seconds
earlier... therefore, by spawning as sniper you try to kill the SpecOps
BEFORE laying C4, and if need be, repair the arty with supply drops.

Juergen Nieveler
--
Superoxymoron: Government worker

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote in

> Yup. Personally, I'd rather have a squad leader be honest and decline
> and order instead of the far more common action: blindly accepting all
> orders whether or not they actually intend to try and carry them out.
> Just to keep the commander 'happy'.

Plus, declining the order keeps the peg (sword) from moving on his squad's
map. I wish there was a "Defer" option, so I could finish taking my current
objective, then go after the new one. I don't want to have to bring up the
map right in the middle of combat to see if the request is something I can
do right now.

Juergen Nieveler wrote:

> You can repair the arty by dropping a supply crate next to it. But you
> can't do that if you've been killed by a SpecOps a few seconds
> earlier... therefore, by spawning as sniper you try to kill the
> SpecOps BEFORE laying C4, and if need be, repair the arty with supply
> drops.

Well the engineer certainly isn't a great character in a gunfight so you
don't have much of a choice than play as some other class if you'd rather
defend the assets in the first place, as opposed to letting them get broken
and then fixing them.

"Robert Moir" <robspamtrap+usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You can repair the arty by dropping a supply crate next to it. But
>> you can't do that if you've been killed by a SpecOps a few seconds
>> earlier... therefore, by spawning as sniper you try to kill the
>> SpecOps BEFORE laying C4, and if need be, repair the arty with supply
>> drops.
>
> Well the engineer certainly isn't a great character in a gunfight so
> you don't have much of a choice than play as some other class if
> you'd rather defend the assets in the first place, as opposed to
> letting them get broken and then fixing them.

Depends a lot on the map, actually. I DO play engineer on some maps,
especially the Peninsula map - mines are usefull there, and gunfights
are mostly short-range.

But I wouldn't play engineer as a commander - as a sniper, you can shoot
the SpecOps or blow them up by placing claymores next to your
artillery.

Juergen Nieveler
--
famous last words: .....of course I checked it for viruses!

In article <Xns96BE5C587FBCAjuergennieveler@nieveler.org>,
juergen.nieveler.nospam@arcor.de says...
> But I wouldn't play engineer as a commander - as a sniper, you can shoot
> the SpecOps or blow them up by placing claymores next to your
> artillery.

Have to dissagree with you there, i think sniper class is the worsed kit to
choose.
i mostly play Commander as AT or Engi (have unlocked both classes)
As Engi you can protect your assets with mines (5 instead of 2 claymore
mines)
As AT you have a chance against Spec Ops in close combat with unlocked gun,
otherwise try to snipe em with AT missile.
Also you can shoot that jeep if you see em coming.
What i do often is arty my own arty ,had manny kills allready. :)

Only use for a Sniper Commander is if you can hide in a safe house and block
the entrance with a claymore.

BTW: i think UAV shed is a Commander's most important asset ,not arty.
--
Tiny Pat

Nonymous

Distinguished
May 27, 2004

"Tiny Pat" <flyace@pi.be.NO> wrote in message

> BTW: i think UAV shed is a Commander's most important asset ,not arty.

Yeah, I agree with that. Seems like most Spec Ops go for the arty. But with
5 packs, you can only take out two so there's usually one or two left
standing. I usually go for the UAV and satellite with my 5 packs. Take
them both out and the commander is then mostly blind making the arty not
very useful at all.

Tiny Pat <flyace@pi.be.NO> wrote:

> Have to dissagree with you there, i think sniper class is the worsed
> kit to choose.

Guess it's really a question of personal taste :)

> i mostly play Commander as AT or Engi (have unlocked both classes)
> As Engi you can protect your assets with mines (5 instead of 2
> claymore mines)

Wouldn't help you much against me... I prefer to park a safe distance
away from enemy equipment and sneak in rather than driving right up to
it :)

> As AT you have a chance against Spec Ops in close combat with unlocked
> gun, otherwise try to snipe em with AT missile.
> Also you can shoot that jeep if you see em coming.
> What i do often is arty my own arty ,had manny kills allready. :)

Had to do that quite often as well. No matter how often I send out
commands to come back and defend the home base, everybody runs away
trying to cap flags :-(

> BTW: i think UAV shed is a Commander's most important asset ,not arty.

But Arty is much more fun :)

Juergen Nieveler
--
If at first you don't succeed, change the rules.

"Nonymous" <noham@nospam.com> wrote:

> Take them both out and the commander is then mostly blind making the
> arty not very useful at all.

Theoretically, the whole team could still spot arty for you -
unfortunately most people seem to be too dumb to find the T-key.

Juergen Nieveler
--
!rotinom ruoy edisni kcuts m'I ,pleH

> Theoretically, the whole team could still spot arty for you -
> unfortunately most people seem to be too dumb to find the T-key.

Or the Q key. That would mostly eliminate the need for the UAV. Maybe most
people are thinking, "My frag! Get away!"

In article <Xns96BE8B991788Ajuergennieveler@nieveler.org>,
juergen.nieveler.nospam@arcor.de says...
> > i mostly play Commander as AT or Engi (have unlocked both classes)
> > As Engi you can protect your assets with mines (5 instead of 2
> > claymore mines)
>
> Wouldn't help you much against me... I prefer to park a safe distance
> away from enemy equipment and sneak in rather than driving right up to
> it :)

Gives me plenty of time to spot you and launch an arty strike.

> > As AT you have a chance against Spec Ops in close combat with unlocked
> > gun, otherwise try to snipe em with AT missile.
> > Also you can shoot that jeep if you see em coming.
> > What i do often is arty my own arty ,had manny kills allready. :)
>
> Had to do that quite often as well. No matter how often I send out
> commands to come back and defend the home base, everybody runs away
> trying to cap flags :-(

i never call troops back to defend my assets , i'm a grown man i will take
care of it. :)
If people spawn inside the UB i will spot enemies though.

> > BTW: i think UAV shed is a Commander's most important asset ,not arty.
>
> But Arty is much more fun :)

Yeah especially when n00bs run in and punish afterwards :-/
BTW: if you play often as Commander how high are you ranked?
i am momentarily @ 241.
Have a little competition going between 3 or 4 Belgian commanders. :)
Highest ranked Belgian Commander came looking for me a few days ago on our
server.
Wanted me to take it easy because i was catching up on him. LOL
Realy liked that one :)

--
Tiny Pat

In article <Xns96BE8BCAEEBB1juergennieveler@nieveler.org>,
juergen.nieveler.nospam@arcor.de says...
> > Take them both out and the commander is then mostly blind making the
> > arty not very useful at all.

i often zoom to max. and when that Spec Op turns around to get out again,
a crate is falling out of the sky to repair my assets. :)
--
Tiny Pat

Tiny Pat <flyace@pi.be.NO> wrote:

> BTW: if you play often as Commander how high are you ranked?
> i am momentarily @ 241.

I don't have time to play 24/7, so I'm still below 11000 on the
commander- list. Still, not to shabby for a lowly lance-corporal (my
nick is BOFH- de).

Juergen Nieveler
--
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards

In article <Xns96C0E3BCD1726juergennieveler@nieveler.org>,
juergen.nieveler.nospam@arcor.de says...
> > BTW: if you play often as Commander how high are you ranked?
> > i am momentarily @ 241.
>
> I don't have time to play 24/7, so I'm still below 11000 on the
> commander- list. Still, not to shabby for a lowly lance-corporal (my
> nick is BOFH- de).

Just spotted you in BF2 Stat Retriever.
My playhandle is [AGB]Tiny_Pat
--
Tiny Pat

Tiny Pat <flyace@pi.be.NO> wrote:

> Just spotted you in BF2 Stat Retriever.
> My playhandle is [AGB]Tiny_Pat

Your statistics aren't available yet :-(

Just checked mine again, I'm scoring 1.24 points per Minute...

Juergen Nieveler
--
We've got the packages. Zero hour is next week therefore Tie-fighter will
take what's coming.

In article <Xns96C174A4F6F19juergennieveler@nieveler.org>,
juergen.nieveler.nospam@arcor.de says...
> Your statistics aren't available yet :-(

They are for me ,just like yours.
Did you try "BF2 Stat Retriever"?
http://www.bf2sr.com/

> Just checked mine again, I'm scoring 1.24 points per Minute...

1.53 here.

--
Tiny Pat

Tiny Pat <flyace@pi.be.NO> wrote:

> They are for me ,just like yours.
> Did you try "BF2 Stat Retriever"?

No, I tried BF2.com :)

Juergen Nieveler
--
Foolish man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ.

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I noticed something odd the other day. I was Commander and noticed one of
our guys at an enemy flag. Zoomed in and there he is standing next to 2
enemy. "Aha!!!" I thought, a conspirator! but then it got wierd .One of the
enemy guys jumped into a vehicle (humvee I think) and then OUR guy jumped
in too. Is this some sort of reverse red tag syndrome that only effects the
commander or a hack?

Anyone else seen this happen?

Bryan