Missing sound channels

G

OS Win 98SE. Have a K7S5A motherboard,1000 Mhz Duron chip, Ge force 2 titanium
video card with latest drivers. I am using Audigy gamer and the on board mobo sound has been disabled. .Mobo bios is the latest . CPU running at 100/100 mhz. In some games (i.e Thief 2) there are serious sound problems .All channels of sound can not be heard. There are up to 24 channels available in the game's audio options, but even when I'm supposedly using all 24 channels, there still are certain sound effects that do not work. On rare occasions, I had all sound effects, but when I reentered the game, I lost some of the sound again. It is always the same sound effects that turn up "missing". When I played this game on an old mob with soundblaster live value and TNT ultra video card it was fine. I am really curious as to what's going on. Any ideas would help. P.s. I have all the latest drivers and Direct x 8.1.
Thanks,
Oldgamer

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Sounds like you are having IRQ problems, try taking you Audigy out and placing it on different Slots starting with #3. Also, check your IRQ values in system properties and post the results here so that we can see them.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

G

runzwithsizorz here; old gamers hubby and systems builder
sound problem seems to be only with one game;(so far,have
at least 50 titles) the game is ThiefII and sound is the key to survival. irq 5 has the audigy,pci to usb open host
control, AND the acpi irq holder steering; this acpi could
be the problem, I have heard others mention not to use it.
Not that it matters, but no usb's are being powered during game play.Device mang. says no conflicks,and moving the card around hasn't worked. Alas she may have to play this
game on one of ower older computers. *IF* someone could find a mobo;sound;cpu;OS,and vid combo that could handle all
software; I'd be intested