$1200 extreme gaming desktop

G

Hey guys
Wanted to know what you thought of my ideas. I'm planning on purchasing a pc in the next few weeks.
what do you think of this one?

-Intel i5-3500K @ 3.4 GHz, oc @ 3.8 GHz
-Asus motherboard Z77 express chipset
-Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 2 GB Graphics Card (Evga)
-8 GB RAM @ 1600 MHz
-1 TB HDD @ 7200 RPMs

the price does include the monitor and mouse/keyboard and other small accessories
please be critical! what is missing from this build? is anything excessive?
I could add an SSD, a liquid cooler, possibly SLI two cards, maybe add another 8 GB RAM
what do you think?
Sam

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi samuelcaie!

What would you be using this build for?

If it's for games, then 8 GB Ram would be more than sufficient (Edit: Having read your <gamertag> profile, i'd say yeah, this is for games).

Yes, adding an SSD would definitely be better. Install in there your OS and your games. Go for at least 120 GB.

Don't forget your power supply. Get at least 500w, go higher if you're going for that SLI. Go for SeaSonic, Antec, XFX or Corsair, and don't forget the 80+ certification.

Also, that must be a typo on your suggested CPU. It's probably the i5-3570K you're thinking of, and I think it's the best cpu choice for now, though I don't know what will happen with Haswell coming out.

You can wait for Haswell to come out and see what moves are going to happen, market-wise, i.e., price changes, etc. Or, if you can't wait, then the i5-3570K is great.

winkay

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi Samuelcaie,

A good CPU cooler wouldn't go to miss
- Unless your monitor is 120Hz then it's useless running SLI
- A large SSD would also be a good investment, take into account how many games you play/how big your OS will be

Good luck

- Winkay

G

yeah you got it! I am an extreme gamer, but I need a computer fast enough to keep up with modern games! (see my gaming laptop I currently use!) I play Battlefield 3 mostly, and also some Call of Duty and the rest of the Battlefield line, and some Age of Empires-style third person strategy games (Men Of War Assault Squad, Command & Conquer Generals). In addition, I am a computer game modder and map editor. That involves some surface map texture generations, shadow generations, unit shader & lightmap generations, etc. Mostly with Battlecraft 1942, for the game BF1942. I also possibly would like to get into video editing & recording my gameplay on BF3.

Yeah most people tell me I only need 8 GB RAM. Would 16 GB help the map editing & video editing at all?

I've been looking at a 480 GB SSD instead of the HDD, but they're really expensive and I've heard that SSDs have a limited number of writes... is that true? Would it be ok to use removable storage to store videos and such? You gave me an idea now!

I plan on buying a 650W supply - again, I've heard that performance increases slightly if you only use about 75% of your potential output. Thanks on the info about the manufacturer.

hahaha sorry, I did mean the i5-3570K CPU. Almost every gamer on this site use that one! Seems to be reliable and fast!

HEY GUYS by the way if there's anybody on this page that plays BF3, send me a friend request! My BF3 gamertag> Sam_Caie < I am a decent engineer that only plays the objectives and I love strategy! I play a little sniper and assault too... current headshot record - 540.02 meters. I need some more friends to play with!

Thanks again scragnoff
If you can answer these other questions that would be great!
Sam