Hello there,
I am new at this and getting frustrated; I bought a PC game (Sims2)
requiring DirectX 9.0c but I only have 8.1b....I tried to install 9.0c it
from the game disc but it always freezes at a file called d3d8thk.dll during
setup/installation. So I tried to download 9.0c from the microsoft site, but
when I run the set-up/installation it also freezes at this file (d3d8thk.dll)
and says that "Directx could not copy a required file" - installation failed.
I tried disabling all background tasks, and even rebooted my computer a
couple of times, but no matter how much I try, it always fails when that file
is to be copied.
Does anyone know what I can do? Any suggestions will help - thanks so much
for your time!

Hi clecointre,

If DirectX 9 gives you an error indicating that it cannot
copy a required file and you're running XP, try these
steps one at a time to see which one solves the problem:

1. Make sure you're using an Administrator's account

2. Click Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services
Scroll down to "Cryptographic Services", double click it and
change Startup type to: Automatic and click the "Start" button.

3. Install Service Pack 2 from the Windows Update Site

4. Close all programs including antivirus / firewall software

5. Right click your C:\Windows folder, select Properties and
uncheck the "Read-only" Attribute. Click OK on the popup box
to "Apply changes to this folder, subfolder, and files". (default.)

Hope this helps you fix that error that you and previous others have
reported. Please let me know which of the 6 steps worked for you. :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

"clecointre" <clecointre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADE1ACA0-C565-4E64-BB5B-501E28FAAB21@microsoft.com...
| Hello there,
| I am new at this and getting frustrated; I bought a PC game (Sims2)
| requiring DirectX 9.0c but I only have 8.1b....I tried to install 9.0c it
| from the game disc but it always freezes at a file called d3d8thk.dll during
| setup/installation. So I tried to download 9.0c from the microsoft site, but
| when I run the set-up/installation it also freezes at this file (d3d8thk.dll)
| and says that "Directx could not copy a required file" - installation failed.
| I tried disabling all background tasks, and even rebooted my computer a
| couple of times, but no matter how much I try, it always fails when that file
| is to be copied.
| Does anyone know what I can do? Any suggestions will help - thanks so much
| for your time!

I am new as well. I installed directx and it completed. However, when I try
to use (google earth) for an example, it tells to try it in the directx mode.
I do and it tells me to select 1024x768 pixels which I already have selected.
I goes back to 800x600 for some reason. I cannot select 32 bit any more for
some reason. Thanks so much..... Heath

"Jimmy S." wrote:

> Hi clecointre,
>
> If DirectX 9 gives you an error indicating that it cannot
> copy a required file and you're running XP, try these
> steps one at a time to see which one solves the problem:
>
> 1. Make sure you're using an Administrator's account
>
> 2. Click Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services
> Scroll down to "Cryptographic Services", double click it and
> change Startup type to: Automatic and click the "Start" button.
>
> 3. Install Service Pack 2 from the Windows Update Site
>
> 4. Close all programs including antivirus / firewall software
>
> 5. Right click your C:\Windows folder, select Properties and
> uncheck the "Read-only" Attribute. Click OK on the popup box
> to "Apply changes to this folder, subfolder, and files". (default.)
>
> Hope this helps you fix that error that you and previous others have
> reported. Please let me know which of the 6 steps worked for you. :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
>
> Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
> Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
> MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
>

> "clecointre" <clecointre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADE1ACA0-C565-4E64-BB5B-501E28FAAB21@microsoft.com...
> | Hello there,
> | I am new at this and getting frustrated; I bought a PC game (Sims2)
> | requiring DirectX 9.0c but I only have 8.1b....I tried to install 9.0c it
> | from the game disc but it always freezes at a file called d3d8thk.dll during
> | setup/installation. So I tried to download 9.0c from the microsoft site, but
> | when I run the set-up/installation it also freezes at this file (d3d8thk.dll)
> | and says that "Directx could not copy a required file" - installation failed.
> | I tried disabling all background tasks, and even rebooted my computer a
> | couple of times, but no matter how much I try, it always fails when that file
> | is to be copied.
> | Does anyone know what I can do? Any suggestions will help - thanks so much
> | for your time!

Hi,

Does DX Diagnostics point out any errors?
(Start / Run / dxdiag)

--

"DirectX not working" <DirectX not working @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I am new as well. I installed directx and it completed. However, when I try
| to use (google earth) for an example, it tells to try it in the directx mode.
| I do and it tells me to select 1024x768 pixels which I already have selected.
| I goes back to 800x600 for some reason. I cannot select 32 bit any more for
| some reason. Thanks so much..... Heath
|
| "Jimmy S." wrote:
|
| > Hi clecointre,
| >
| > If DirectX 9 gives you an error indicating that it cannot
| > copy a required file and you're running XP, try these
| > steps one at a time to see which one solves the problem:
| >
| > 1. Make sure you're using an Administrator's account
| >
| > 2. Click Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Services
| > Scroll down to "Cryptographic Services", double click it and
| > change Startup type to: Automatic and click the "Start" button.
| >
| > 3. Install Service Pack 2 from the Windows Update Site
| >
| > 4. Close all programs including antivirus / firewall software
| >
| > 5. Right click your C:\Windows folder, select Properties and
| > uncheck the "Read-only" Attribute. Click OK on the popup box
| > to "Apply changes to this folder, subfolder, and files". (default.)
| >
| > Hope this helps you fix that error that you and previous others have
| > reported. Please let me know which of the 6 steps worked for you. :)
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
| > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| >

| > "clecointre" <clecointre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADE1ACA0-C565-4E64-BB5B-501E28FAAB21@microsoft.com...
| > | Hello there,
| > | I am new at this and getting frustrated; I bought a PC game (Sims2)
| > | requiring DirectX 9.0c but I only have 8.1b....I tried to install 9.0c it
| > | from the game disc but it always freezes at a file called d3d8thk.dll during
| > | setup/installation. So I tried to download 9.0c from the microsoft site, but
| > | when I run the set-up/installation it also freezes at this file (d3d8thk.dll)
| > | and says that "Directx could not copy a required file" - installation failed.
| > | I tried disabling all background tasks, and even rebooted my computer a
| > | couple of times, but no matter how much I try, it always fails when that file
| > | is to be copied.
| > | Does anyone know what I can do? Any suggestions will help - thanks so much
| > | for your time!
| > |