Sign in with
Your question

Please help with first build!

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2013 12:31:20 PM

Hi guys so I'm trying to build a budget-ish gaming pc and my key areas are performance (obviously) and more importantly silence.. I'm trying to build this pc as silent as I can but with good enough specs to run let's say Crysis 3 on max!

Here's the component list:

CPU: Intel i5 3570k - £170

GPU: Asus GTX660ti CU II Top or Asus HD7950 CU II Top - £260

Mobo: Asrock extreme6 - £124

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb - £99

Ram: Low profile Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz - £50

Psu: Coolermaster Silent Pro w620 - £90

Cpu Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900-MAX Blue or the equivalent Noctua £43

Case: Zalman Z11 plus - £49

Total: £885

I'd really like to take some suggestions if this build could be improved somehow or if I should pick one part over the other! Again, key aspects of this build is silent performance and having at the very least enough power to run Crysis 3 (won't be playing the game but it's a good target to reach) on max settings.

My total budget is £1000 so lots of headroom for improvement.

More about : build

March 5, 2013 1:42:22 PM

I'm also planning to overclock thichine and I'm mostly playing in 1080p although planning to get a 1440p monitor in near future!
March 5, 2013 2:06:40 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£55.83 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£91.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.99 @ Dabs)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£63.59 @ Aria PC)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£99.22 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 4GB Video Card (£359.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£77.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£48.17 @ Aria PC)
Total: £998.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-05 16:06 GMT+0000)
Related resources
March 5, 2013 2:13:03 PM

Would you comment on your suggestions? why/how are they better than mine?
March 5, 2013 2:23:23 PM

Alright;

1. Card is all around better card.
2. MoBo is cheaper and still has amazing features ( I personally use it and I am satisfied ).
3. Added a 2 TB storage drives just in case. You can remove it if you want.
4. Cooler Master is garbage at making PSUs. XFX is way better.
5. Zalman isn't really your go to brand of CPU cooling.
6. You wanted a quiet case, and R4 is as quiet as you can want.

I couldn't find any quiet PSUs in your area, but you can try looking around for some. Find a nice 550W PC Power and Cooling or a Be Quiet! brand PSU. You can also get silent chassis fans, but most of the time they aren't that silent, so I recommend using the R4s fan controller to make it quieter.

March 5, 2013 2:41:47 PM

I like your comments, but will the case provide enough air flow? my room is about 22C room temperature. I mainly went for asus products as the direct contact cooling they have allows us to have about 14db quieter gpu's than let's say EVGA.. Also I went with quiet components rather than case as I'd like to have some visual appeal as well. Any more suggestions?
March 5, 2013 2:47:34 PM

1. It will provide enough airflow for a 22C room.
2. You can get ASUS if you want to spend a bit extra.
3. You could always but some LED strips or spray paint and make it look nice like that.
March 5, 2013 2:59:30 PM

In terms of noise the components which make most of the noise are the CPU cooler, GPU and PSU.

For the GPU a great and very quiet one would be the Sapphire Vapor-X 7950.

For the CPU cooler I would suggest the Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme which is both cheaper and less noisier than the Zalman CNPS9900-MAX.

The Silent Pro PSU series is very quiet so that is a good choice.

All the best!
March 5, 2013 3:02:35 PM

Very helpful guys! Do you guys know any reliable quiet cases with a window cut out so I could see the inside components? ^_^
March 5, 2013 3:12:42 PM

The R4 has a window.
March 5, 2013 3:18:54 PM

O_O? I mean like a side cutout with poly glass where you can actually see all the components inside
March 5, 2013 3:47:23 PM

Yes, that's what I mean.
March 5, 2013 3:52:42 PM

The following components are what I used to customize my system after I decided to upgrade from a Win XP64 system to a Win7-64 system:
-Motherboard = Asus P8Z77-V-PRO(Goto Asus website for specs)
-CPU = Intel Core i7-3773k LGA1155, 3.5 Ghz, O.C. Unlocked
-RAM = Kingston KHX2133C11D3K4/16GX = 4 x 4GB sticks
-Graphic Card: Asus HD7770-2GD5(High Definition ready)-Goto Asus for specs & info
-PSU(Power Supply Unit) = Enermax Model EG701AX-VE(W) -600W
-HDD = Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 2TB Sata 6GB/s 7200RPM Cache 64MB
-Disc Writer = Samsung DVD Sata 24xDVD Writer SH-224BB(which can also read Blue-ray, but not write to it)
-O.S.=Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM
-Fans: 2x SILENX Effizio 80 15 dBA 32 CFM + 2 other chassis fans which I believe were Vantecs with a low dBA rating as well and which I already had.
-Monitor = Viewsonic with 1080p Full HD, but I do not have the full specs on hand
-Sound = Creative Labs 5.1 System Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro & Speakers

This system which is up and running has been providing as much satisfaction as I can hope to obtain in this lifetime. :p  The only glitch I experienced(which I resolved after 2 days of analysis) was the acceptance of the graphic card because I had not connected a secondary power cable to it near the underside(which is hard to see). :cry:  However after going to the Asus website, I discovered the problem through research for info.
This is not :non:  an absolute low-cost system. I would say it cost me about $1500.00 all around.
What I have come to realize is to choose a motherboard which will satisfy all your needs and anticipate the future needs for at least a few more years in the future. It is always better to choose a motherboard and graphic card which come from the same company because they are tested in-house to work with no glitches. Also before you buy any RAM, make sure it will work with the mobo by reviewing the specs of the mobo in the manual or online. Asus gives a list of RAM manufacturers which will work with their mobos. The same applies to the CPU, so make sure before you buy that at the very least those 3 components work together seamlessly. As for the noise level which can become an issue, the fans mentioned are a charm. They are so silent I sometimes wonder if they are working. Asus controls everything smoothly, but you can monitor and adjust almost everything to your heart's content. The fan for the CPU is the one that came with the CPU and it also is very silent. Even bios updating is a breeze after the system is up and running. I must admit that I experienced more problems with the Microsoft Win7 software because the change-over from WinXP to Win7 was confusing at first.
This is not :non:  necessarily a game system but I could believe that it would be excellent to run any games satisfactorily. The only drawback(if it can be called that) is that I had to settle for 16GBs of Ram whereas I wanted 32GBs. This, because I could not get 4 matched sticks of 8GBs of Ram anywhere at what I considered a reasonable price. I suspect that it will come down in price in the not too distant future. Never mix different Ram sticks and always make sure that what you buy comes in a "Sealed" package as one matched pair or group. Ram can give you a lot of problems if it is not matched or married to whatever the motherboard expects.
This system demands a lot of juice so make sure your PSU can take it. 600Watts is probable near the low end of what I would retain. The Enermax PSU I used I already had in my previous system and I calculated that it was sufficient for my needs. I don't think you can buy or find this on the market anymore. It probably has been upgraded to a better unit, but whatever you buy make sure it can provide enough power for whatever you assemble.
There is not much I can add except to say that if you are thinking of upgrading to a new operating system and expecting more satisfaction from it, consider revamping almost all of it. In the long run it will turn out to be a better choice. Good Luck. :hello: 
!