Sign in with
Your question

Do i really need a Dedicated physx Card??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2013 2:26:00 PM

i hv a extra gtx 460 in my room now.
Should i turn it to a dedicated physx card? ( or sell it )
how much performance will it improve? (gtx 670 sli going to run 3D )
is it really worth it??
Will it reduce the PCIe channel ??

More about : dedicated physx card

January 15, 2013 2:26:47 PM

Well are you getting performance you don't like in games with PhysX enabled? If so, just plug in the 460, use it as a PhysX card, and see if performance improves.

If your answer is no to #1 or if you try it and it does't help performance, just sell it.
m
l
January 15, 2013 2:29:21 PM

Since you have the extra, and you won't be losing anything, plug it up and try it. If you like the results, keep it.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2013 2:30:02 PM

BigMack70 said:
Well are you getting performance you don't like in games with PhysX enabled? If so, just plug in the 460, use it as a PhysX card, and see if performance improves.

If your answer is no to #1 or if you try it and it does't help performance, just sell it.

err it don't really hv a wow factor there when i use it as Physx engine
m
l
January 15, 2013 2:32:34 PM

destwong said:
err it don't really hv a wow factor there when i use it as Physx engine

So sell it :) 
m
l
January 15, 2013 3:09:22 PM

Odds are (and I can't seem to find the article at the moment...) if you were to add that card, you might experience lower performance. In layman's terms, it just can't keep up. There really only is one way to find out though. Plop it in there, and giver a shot. Let us know the results :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 3:17:02 PM

Not worth it at all, sell it. The GTX 670 sli you said you will use will be overkill for Phsyx so need to have an old space heater in there as well. You can always test it out but I seriously doubt it would even help 1 FPS.
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
January 15, 2013 3:24:14 PM

A dedicated PhysX card will only be used in games that use GPU accelerated PhysX, so it won't help in many situations. You might not even have a game that supports it, so testing it in some random game will likely result in no improvement.
m
l
!