Window 7 wrt54g linksys problems

paulac

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
I have a new computer with win7 when I first hooked it up win7 set my network to public at that time I was able to access the routers software, since I have switched the network to home and changed the name to my networks name and now cannot get the routers software page to come up after I type in the address (firefox and ie) of the router I get the password page then type in the password hit enter and then nothing a blank page. The routers working great just cannot get the routers software page.

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I had this router befor reseting it usually fixes this issue. My linksys E2000 does the same thing when i change any wireless settings in windows or even the router. useing an ethernet connection will fix this. I think it just loses something in the transmission so the router just stops sending, Linksys i guess is trying t prevent unauthorized access.

paulac

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks for your reply, Iam alittle afraid of resetting incase I cannot get in to router to set up all my other devices, xbox and laptops.....Iam plugged directly into router with ehernet cable with modeum plugged into router Iam able to get modeum software to show but it takes along time to load, I wonder if changing the network connection from the original public to privitehas anything to do with this problem ? Thanks

paulac

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

Thank You for your reply, I have done an ipconfig and confirmed the correct address. I can get to the password window and enter password but then a blank screen.

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

You could try it but this shouldn't have an effect, In fact it should have the effect your haveing now lol public blocks network locations private should give you full access. You seem to be haveing the opposit of the intended purpose. It could just be windows error or the firmware on the router may need to be updated/reinstalled. But since you said it happened after you changed the settings in windows its most likely windows being well windows again. Switch it back to public and if it comes back then its windows with the problem, also you may want to secure the network if its unsecured windows doesn't like unsecured wireless networks and either do firewall programs.

Edit: you said your useing ethernet so if it comes back after the switch to public it is windows in which case i would contact microsoft cuz i've never had this issue with windows. The blank page thing is a linksys thing though i get it alot ethernet does fix it for the most part but when you edit settings the router just gets stuck and you have to restart it. If you reset it, it should come back with all the same settings as befor unless the firmware is in fact corrupt.

paulac

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

I tried to switch the network to public no go , however I did unplug power to router and plugged back in and the routers software came right up after that. Thanks for your help with this matter. Paul