Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Please Recommend a PSU for my system.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
March 5, 2013 3:39:00 PM

Hello,
My rig is Core i5 3550, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard, Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz 4x4 GB RAM, Ocz Vertex 4 128 GB SSD, WD VelociRaptor 500 GB, PowerColor Radeon HD 7770, Corsair 500R cabinet.

I am currently using Tagan StoneRock 650W PSU and i am having problems with it. My PC wont start sometimes. So, I'm planning to get a new PSU. How much power would i need? I'm thinking of getting the Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W PSU. Will that be enough for my system? Or would you recommend some other PSU? Please help.

*Note : I dont plan to use dual GPU, but i might upgrade it to Radeon 7950 though. So, please consider this as well. Thanks!

More about : recommend psu system

March 5, 2013 3:49:55 PM

ikes9711 said:
If you are looking towards the future I would recommend a 750W XFX psu... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Im not really looking towards that. Back to my question, would 550W be enough for my system.
Why XFX? Would you recommend any other brand? Maybe Corsair or Antec or Cooler Master? cos, XFX is not available locally from where im at.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 5, 2013 3:57:12 PM

I always give the exact same advice when it comes to PSU's get the highest wattage fully modular model that you can afford. Sure it may be overkill but there is absolutely nothing wrong with overkill. Furthermore a PSU can be something that carries over from upgrade to upgrade with out worry about whether or not it will still be good enough. Buy a big enough PSU and barring failure of the device itself and you may never need to buy another. At worst you might have to get some new types of power connectors should they move past sata sometime down the road.
m
0
l
March 5, 2013 4:02:32 PM

godspanther said:
I always give the exact same advice when it comes to PSU's get the highest wattage fully modular model that you can afford. Sure it may be overkill but there is absolutely nothing wrong with overkill. Furthermore a PSU can be something that carries over from upgrade to upgrade with out worry about whether or not it will still be good enough. Buy a big enough PSU and barring failure of the device itself and you may never need to buy another. At worst you might have to get some new types of power connectors should they move past sata sometime down the road.


Thanks, I was looking at some modular PSU's as well. Please recommend some (prob'ly Corsair/Antec/Cooler Master..cos these are the ones that are locally available from where I'm at). My budget will be around INR 8000 (thats roughly $150)
m
0
l
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2013 5:18:11 PM

A system with a single HD 7770 needs a recommended 430w power supply. An HD 7950 would need a 500w unit.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I always give the same advice too. Get Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ, Antec or the higher efficiency Rosewill models for quality.

Avoid Coolermaster and Thermaltake. Although "name" brands they do not sell good power supplies for the most part.

Don't waste money on that RAM. Get some DDR3 1600 or 1866 at most and put the saved money in a better video card. Make sure you use 1.5v RAM.

The Velociraptor is also a waste of money for a storage drive. Just get a larger, cheaper drive for storage.
m
0
l
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2013 5:24:42 PM

Oops just reread and you already have that stuff. If you are having boot issues make sure your RAM is running correctly. I would do a 10 to 12 hour run of memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/

m
0
l
March 5, 2013 5:55:04 PM

anort3 said:
Oops just reread and you already have that stuff. If you are having boot issues make sure your RAM is running correctly. I would do a 10 to 12 hour run of memtest.

http://www.memtest.org/


Thanks for your helpful reply, anort3. I was browsing around and I got really interested in the Corsair TX650M Modular PSU. Would you recommend i get that unit? Or if you'd recommend another unit, please let me know. My first choice is on a modular unit, so, if you'd consider that, it would really be helpful.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 83 B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2013 6:08:05 PM

The Corsair TX M series are good units. You could easily get the 550w version and be fine with your listed setup even if you upgrade to an HD 7950. There would be no harm in getting the 650w version though except you might pay less for the 550.
Share
March 5, 2013 6:14:48 PM

anort3 said:
The Corsair TX M series are good units. You could easily get the 550w version and be fine with your listed setup even if you upgrade to an HD 7950. There would be no harm in getting the 650w version though except you might pay less for the 550.


Thank you so much!
m
0
l
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2013 6:34:03 PM

Glad to help! :) 
m
0
l
!