Suggestions mb + cpu with integrated graphics

rramstad

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hi there.

I'm upgrading some Linux servers and wanted to check in with anyone who has done a recent build with a motherboard and CPU featuring integrated graphics.

To put this in perspective, the systems that I am upgrading have been running ASUS TUSI-M motherboards with Celeron 1.1 GHz or higher processors for a long long time... very reliable and with the integrated graphics, cheap and relatively low power consumption.

If you've built a system recently for a similar purpose -- just needing video for console, basically -- I'd love to hear what you used. AMD or Intel...

I would also be interested in opinions if that motherboard plus cpu plus four hard drives would have enough power if I was running Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W or similar... my experience with the old config would make me think I'd probably be fine, but again, anyone with real world experience please step up!

Finally, if you've got a favorite case, I'd be interested in suggestions on that too.

My situation is probably a bit typical in that the last few systems I've built have been gaming systems, so the requirements are totally different... systems aren't on 24/7 so the power supply can be less efficient and needs to be bigger anyway, because of discrete graphics, different case requirements (like front audio ports, front USB ports), totally different motherboard and CPU requirements. The integrated graphics world is a totally different deal.

Thanks!

-- Bob

Just grab an Ivy Bridge Pentium chip. Great power efficiency, an upgrade to the graphics you have, and higher clock speed.

You can then grab a cheap-o h77 or b75 motherboard and you're golden - it'll work fine with the earthwatts PSU.

As for the case, it depends entirely on what you're looking for - I personally consider the NZXT gamma classic to be one of the better budget cases, but it is noisy.

rramstad

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Any specific suggestions for a CPU and/or motherboard?

So 380 W on a high quality single rail PS should be sufficient even with four hard drives?

Yeah, cases can be a lot of personal choice, definitely. I'm probably more in the minimalist, classic, and quiet camp. In the past I've been pretty happy with Antec. Lian Li are nice but spendy. I'd really like to find a good budget simple and relatively quiet case... the choices are kind of overwhelming and I'd rather not spend $100 as these are going to be out of sight...

rramstad

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
How about this as a starting point? I'm lazy so only used NewEgg for pricing... the Seagate drives seem to have a love hate type thing going on in the reviews... the case doesn't have front USB 3.0 but I hate the blue fans on the Illusion and don't really want to spend the $$ on something fancier just to get a feature I may never care about...

I think the CPU, motherboard, memory and power supply are pretty rock solid, though.

Any thoughts?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HQLr
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HQLr/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HQLr/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Celeron G1610 2.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($30.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $488.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-06 00:20 EST-0500)