My Gigabyte Windforce GTX660 OC Keeps CTD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach-Pc

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hello,
I just built my first rig in December without a video card and here are the specs:

Asus P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Mobo
Intel Core i5 3570k (did the microcenter deal)
Corsair Vengeance 2x8gb
Corsair Pro HX750
OCZ 128Gb SSD
Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm 2TB
and a Coller Master HAF 912

I recently purchased and installed a Gigabyte GTX660 OC windforce. I do moderate gaming, but nothing crazy. My (low) tests for it were Napoleon Total War and Star Wars online, and both games keep CTD. This is very disappointing because I know my system is above and beyond these two games.

My temperatures are fine but i'm pretty novice when it comes to OCing and such. Naive me assumed that i'd just have to install the card, install the drivers and be up and running. I need advice on things that could possibly be wrong, or what a good overclocking program is, maybe I could bring the levels back down...i've run on all sorts of graphical setting and I still get the crash.

Solution
The game probably draws more because its more of a single threaded application. You should have the card powered by two 6 pin connections from your power supply if you don't have that you should be using the molex connections from your power supply to give you the additional PCI-E power connections that you need. I think when you say jumpers you mean adapters it has me a little thrown that is why I went into explaining it.

larkspur

Distinguished

Install in the blue slot - the x16 size one closest to the CPU. Make sure you have hooked up any required PCIe power connectors to the card from your PSU. Make sure you are using the newest drivers downloaded direct from Nvidia. If all is well with the hardware and drivers, neither game should consistently CTD. You shouldn't need to downclock the card from its default settings to make it work - it's a factory OC card and if it doesn't run at those clocks it should be returned. I assume you haven't OCed your CPU, if you have then set it back to default until the problem is resolved.

Agree there is no real reason for the card to crash to desktop. If your card continues to react the way it does and you are forced to either RMA through Gigabyte or send back to where you purchased it for a refund do the refund. Gigabyte takes a very long time with there RMA's they told me 3-4 week turn around on a RMA. Luckily I was just checking to see how long it would take.

Zach-Pc

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I'm going to try to flash the BIOS, and check the drivers again. Here are some specs i'm getting from my CPU and the OC software from Gigabyte while Napoleon Total War is running in the background. What concerns me is that the game seems to only be running on 1 core or the processor. I don't know if this is normal or not, but its pinning it to what looks like 100%

http://imgur.com/CMCSp
CMCSp

http://imgur.com/CMCSp

Thanks for the other advice so far. All of the PCIe wires (4) are connected to the PSU but I only used one jumper. The corsair unit came with jumpers and PCIe adapters for case fans which was great, but should I be connecting all 4 GPU PCIe connectors to one jumper or separate them?

The game probably draws more because its more of a single threaded application. You should have the card powered by two 6 pin connections from your power supply if you don't have that you should be using the molex connections from your power supply to give you the additional PCI-E power connections that you need. I think when you say jumpers you mean adapters it has me a little thrown that is why I went into explaining it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.