What about Tape Backup Drives?

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
With all the options to choose from, CD-RW, DVD-RAM Drives, DVD-RW, removeable media drives,...does anyone still rely on tape backups? I know they are slower, but why do they still cost so much? what are the advantages/disadvantages?

What is the best resource to have for backing up your sysetm? I am at a crossroad and can't decide. Any recommendations or comments will be appreciated.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you have a company and have to backup large amounts of data, a Tape Drive, while very expensive at first, will pay for itself in the long run. Tapes are very inexpensive and can hold Gigabytes of information (IE my Dad's office has one that can hold 75 GB on one tape!) The reason that they are expensive is that they have a very long lifetime, and are primarily for enterprises which can afford them. If you need to backup GBs of information every few days, get a Tape Drive, if you just backup data every now and then, get a CDRW drive, If you plan on making home movies or doing digital video/multimedia work, get the DVDRW drive.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Thanks for clearing that up for me. What other SCSI CD-RW drives would you recommend? I've been looking at the Yamaha CD-RW 20x/10x/40x.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>