New 700 or 8000 series worth waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mansfield

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I have a feeling this is asked a lot but I have yet to see it on here, does anybody have any idea when the new series of cards are (or rumored) to come out?
I know the 600 and 7000 series are fully capable cards, but I'm in the process of saving up and I don't want to buy a 660 Ti is the 760 Ti comes out in a month.

Solution

AMD and Nvidia always launch their flagship GPUs first. So when the 700 series launch, you won't be able to get the 760 ti, until a couple of months after the 780 gets released. That is how it has been for years, and I don't see them starting the other way around.

The rumors say we might see the next series in Q2 or late Q1. Though there is a reason it's called rumors, because no one really knows yet. BUT I can tell...

AMD and Nvidia always launch their flagship GPUs first. So when the 700 series launch, you won't be able to get the 760 ti, until a couple of months after the 780 gets released. That is how it has been for years, and I don't see them starting the other way around.

The rumors say we might see the next series in Q2 or late Q1. Though there is a reason it's called rumors, because no one really knows yet. BUT I can tell AMD already has begun shipping out their 8000 serie mobile GPUs, so it cannot be long before something happens.

Solution

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Last I saw (yesterday) the AMD 88xx is tracking for a 2nd quarter 2013 release. That's Apr - Jun 2013. IF - it goes as planned. I'm not sure n the Nvidia.

To answer the original question yes -- and here's why:

1. They will be the latest and greatest
2. The realeases will drive the cost of the 7xxx and 660 Ti down

That's a double win. Either pay full price for cutting edge (expensive), or buy a powerful GPU for less money (6xx or 7xxx) than currently available.

If you can wait 3-4 months you will be rewarded either way.

From what I've heard through the forums that the 700 series is going to be a architecture change for the Nvidia side so it may be worth while but it all comes down to when you purchase your card. If you plan on purchasing or can wait till around April May then I would say it may be worth it to you if you are willing to pay the brand new prices.

Wow, uhm, yes. The 8k series will be rolling out within a month and a half or so, and they're rumored (reliably) to be about 30% more powerful than their equivalent 7k series, and will be priced aggressively.

There's not much point in buying a card right now; it's pretty much guaranteed that the new lineup will be coming in Q1, possibly into Q2 of this year.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished
They wont come out in a month. More likely in about 3 months. If you want it now, get it. Plus the 700 series will be expensive at launch. Of course you can always wait for the price drop as retailers try to clear out stock for the new gen in 2-3 months.

MC_K7

Distinguished
I heard that the 8000 series by AMD should launch first, I think they're scheduled for March 2013. And the 700 series by Nvidia should come a little later. But like lostgamer_03 mentioned they always release flagship first so you shouldn't expect a 760-Ti at launch time. The other problem is that I find launch price a tad bit high and they usually drop a lot a few months later. I also need a new GPU and I'm waiting probably at the end of summer or next fall for that reason, price drops and also more choices (more special versions of cards being released).

I highly doubt it. Honestly the game to my knowledge uses the same engine that the previous game 2 used the game graphically at least through the alpha looked exactly the same and the gameplay of the game they have shown through story looks the same. A demanding game sure but I don't know I haven't seen anything to indicate that this game will be the revolution of pc gaming graphics like the original Crysis game was. And I don't Nvidia is a bad option to purchase from at the moment as is AMD. If you want to buy now prices are probably decent however in the next coming months they will probably drop considerably in preparation for the newer cards. The point is that if you are waiting the next few months to buy a card and are looking to get the flagship card then yea go for it or even if as others have suggested you wait till the fall to get a wider selection of the next series of cards that could be a way to go as well.

c_h1132

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
prices wont drop too much for current cards. probably low stock as well so expect to wait even longer. remember how how hard it was to find a 680/7970 during release. if you need it now just get current card. expect 6-8 months to get a hold of new release unless your one of those who pick up 1 fast enough during release.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I think its worth waiting and i agree i do see them dropping something soon. I mean if anyone still wants to buy a gtx 600/ati 7000 series thats cool but i would wait on the new gen specs to atleast see whats coming so u will know instead of buying now then trying to sell the gpu attempting to get the new series which some people has already did and will run into

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I would honestly save up and go 770

mansfield

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I want to buy at around the $300 point so I will see what I can get. I don't want to wait longer than 2 months though. maybe if the 7950 drops considerably from 8000 series i'll go with that.

G

Waiting on the 780 hopefully a 4Gb version at release. For us handfull of pc gamers that game on multiple monitor setups or 2560 x 1600 single displays with max settings. From what I've read it looks like April when the 700 series comes. The lower end versions a month or 2 later after that. Not sure about AMD but prob around the same time.

mansfield

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
I think I'll still get 600 series at a lower price point. not looking for cyrsis 3 max settings here, I prefer farcry, skyrim, and MAYBE BF3, all of which 660 TI or 670 is fully capable of. not to mention my dumb CPU decision, ill be stuck with bull dozer for a while. and since I have 16 GB of ram I should be good for a while.

Well I would wait and see with Crysis 3 I don't think like I said it will innovate graphics at all. Looks the same as Crysis 2 mind you I was playing Crysis 3 Alpha. Yup one day you will be free of your faildozer which is pushing the pile of shiz which will be replaced with a steamroller to smash everything together :p

Status
Not open for further replies.