Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire HD 6850 toxic and regular version crossfire?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 15, 2013 8:20:58 PM

I'm having problems in crossfire. What's being shown in my own benchmarks is not being reflected in games. In my crossfire, one card is an "toxic" Sapphire version of the HD6850 and the other a regular Sapphire HD6850. The toxic version is a bit bigger and requires more power and is overlooked a bit compared the the regular. In GPU-z, it detects both cards in crossfire as with CCC and I testing both cards individually so I know they are both in tact.

SPECS:
1. AMD Vishera six-core 6300 @ 4.1GHz
2. Windows 64 bit
3. 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
4. 500gb HDD

In games, like PlanetSide 2, ArmA II, battlefield 3, Mount and Blade Warband, there appears to be little to no FPS change. In fact, it may be lowering it! I checked with MSI afterburner and AMD overdrive while playing these games and see my two cards running at around 98% activity so my CPU isn't bottle necking, but my CPU is only running at 80ish%? Although 3D mark is at score 4000 without crossfire but 7000 with it.

Why am I not seeing in-game improvement?

More about : sapphire 6850 toxic regular version crossfire

January 15, 2013 8:44:21 PM

What's your motherboard? Are you sure the two slots you are using are at least x8 PCIe 2.0 lanes each? A x4 will often cause issues.

Also, with 1gb cards, possibly a vram bottleneck. GPU-z does a nice job of reporting vram usage. Are you running a high resolution and/or trying to use lots of AA? The free version of 3dMark runs in a rather low resolution and won't necessarily show vram bottlenecks that some games and resolutions might have. Just speculation.

Also - temps are ok right? And what is your PSU?
m
l
January 15, 2013 9:15:51 PM

larkspur said:
What's your motherboard? Are you sure the two slots you are using are at least x8 PCIe 2.0 lanes each? A x4 will often cause issues.

Also, with 1gb cards, possibly a vram bottleneck. GPU-z does a nice job of reporting vram usage. Are you running a high resolution and/or trying to use lots of AA? The free version of 3dMark runs in a rather low resolution and won't necessarily show vram bottlenecks that some games and resolutions might have. Just speculation.

Also - temps are ok right? And what is your PSU?

Thanks for the reply. One slot is x16 and the other x8 so I'm good. I don't know what VRAM is but In MSI afterburner and GPU-z, "Memory Usage" goes up the chart 1/3 of the way. My temps at the cards are around 70 degrees and my PSU is 700w. But if there is this Vram bottleneck, how to i fix it?
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2013 12:27:36 AM

crossfire is crap. I have said to many people trying this 6850/6870 crossfire thing that it is terrible, stuttering, low fps in many games. download radeonpro if you wish to persist with crossfire, you can change crossfire modes with it which helps some games. I ended up selling my 6850 crossfire because it is crap. also your limited to 1gb vram which is not enough for many games to run them with high texture detail smoothly, it ends up all choppy.
m
l
!