How to stop electrical discharge when cleaning a pc?

robsmithy1

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
Hi, i am planing on cleaning my pc because i haven't done it yet and i know i need to and i was just wondering how to stop electrical discharge so that it doesn't cause problems with my pc and is there anything i can do without paying for something like a wrist band discharger?
thanks

Wolfshadw

Titan
Easiest thing to do is before each time you reach into the case, touch a metal part (like a drive bay) to remove any built up charge. Get into the habit of this. Next thing you know, it's second nature. Also, if you can avoid it, do not work on carpeting.

-Wolf sends

robsmithy1

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013

thanks

I usually touch the power supply in the case while the system is off of course if I'm concerned about that. I only use a wrist strap if I'm changing out parts or assembling a system. To clean it I take my computer outside and use my air compressor to blow out the dust. I'm be sure not to let the fans spin so the fins don't break off. And I don't touch anything with the air-chuck inside the case. I've never had a problem in doing this for the 5 systems I run in my house for the last 10+ years.