  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
April 10, 2004 3:20:42 PM

I had LinkSys wired router connected to my cable modem
supporting four wired desktops. The rounter handled DHCP.

I recently purchased the MN-700 and have connected it to
the cable modem in place of the LinkSys router. It now
handles DHCP and works fine with my Laptop. Though the
modem is in my basement office, I mounted the MN-700 on
the second floor for good coverage. I get that.

Presently, I switch which router is connected to my cable
modem to provide Internet services to either the wired or
unwired computers. It is not practical to run Cat-5 from
the MN-700 to each computer in the basement office.

Is is feasible to run the cable modem into the LinkSys
(downstairs) and run one cable upstairs to the MN-700
(cable already in place)? The MN-700 would broadcast to
the LapTop yet the LnkSYS would provide the wired
connections downstairs.

My questions involve which port to enter the MN-700 with
straight through patch Cat-5? And how to set up dhcp.
Also, is there an issue with Subnets? I want all
computers to see each other and have access to the
Internet.

Thanks in advance.
Larry

More about : wired wireless

Anonymous
April 10, 2004 6:47:06 PM

You can use the Linksys (connected to the cable modem) as the router
and turn the 700 into an access point to handle wireless connections.
Turn off DHCP and NAT. Do this and plug it into one of the ports on
the Linksys.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:20:42 -0700, "Larry"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Don't forget to put in your wireless settings (SSID and any wireless
security settings that you want).

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User