Windows 7 and Formatting

Bob DiGi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
First time Windows 7 user here. I have to ask this because it's bothering me. I've been on xp so I'm behind the times.

Why when i install Windows 7 and format a disk does it format in less than 10 seconds? Is it actually formatting the disk? I am using a SSD drive now but still 10 seconds doesn't seem like enough time to format.

I'm thinking of using my windows xp bootup to format the disk lol. Can someone enlighten on me why this format is so quick?

Thanks,

Windows 7 Newb

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Not really any performance difference.

I quick explanation is the quick format only erases the Master Boot file which basically holds the location of the files on the drive. Without this file the PC doesn't know there are still files on the HD. When installing the OS, the file is rewritten and the OS is installed in the same way as with a full format.

a full format writes zeros throughout the entire drive and isn't really required unless you want to erase files for security purposes.... and multiple formats is required to destroy any evidence of past files

Actually that's not entirely correct. A full format overwrites the MBR and then reads every other sector on the drive, flagging any as bad that cannot be read so the drive does not use them. It does not write zeroes to every sector. Data recovery on a formatted volume would be much more difficult if that were the case.

Basically, full format = quick format + chkdsk