Idle Channel Noise?

Tags:
Last response: in Home Audio
Share
May 21, 2004 3:29:41 AM

What is it?

More about : idle channel noise

Anonymous
May 21, 2004 10:40:47 PM

In article <34a4f456.0405202229.64f92a89@posting.google.com>,
Curious <curious11112001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is it?

In the broad sense - any noise which you detect in a signal channel,
under conditions when (in theory) you'd detect no noise at all. In a
purely analog system, this might include hiss from thermal/Johnson
noise, hum or buzz from power supply noise, etc.

Another, more specific use of the term can refer to noise of specific
types which can occur in an analog-to-digital or digital-to-analog
conversion system. Certain types of A/D and D/A conversion system
(e.g. those which use a very high sampling rate, a relatively narrow
converter, and some sort of noise-shaping feedback system) can suffer
from an effect often called "birdies" - a converted signal which
*should* be completely silent, will have a very-low-level audio tone
superimposed on it.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO