Sign in with
Your question

How do i connect 2 routers that are not connected to each other but do connect t

Last response: in Networking
February 21, 2012 2:00:21 PM

Hello, I have a Cisco router connected (WAN) to the wall and a Netgear router connected (WAN) to another separate segment to the wall. Each router is then connected to a single print server (using LANs). This seems to work well for internet purposes for some time (weeks) and then the internet connection fails. Is this an improper set up?
February 21, 2012 2:13:01 PM

Where and what does the wall jack connect to? Is this at your home or work?
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:14:46 PM

A data wall jack at work. We lease space at a company that provides wired and wireless networking.
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2012 2:22:09 PM

Do you have two separate internet connections? Or just one? What are the reasons for the two routers, a fail back? range?
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:25:50 PM

Have you asked this question with your IT/Networking department? Someone familiar with the network should easily be able to answer this, and they should know about these types of things anyway. Hopefully you're not asking this here because you know it's against company policy ;) 
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:30:05 PM

Yea i agree, find out the information from them first, if at all possible. If not I'm sure someone here can try to figure out the problem. Keep us updated, I'm curious on how this is effecting your connection. Also it could be just a simple problem with the router and your ISP. How long have you been at this current location? and how long has this been going on for?
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:33:11 PM

aaron88_7 said:
Have you asked this question with your IT/Networking department? Someone familiar with the network should easily be able to answer this, and they should know about these types of things anyway. Hopefully you're not asking this here because you know it's against company policy ;) 

The company we lease space from only supports up to the wall jack. Everything up to that point is fine. From there, if we want to set up an internal network, it is our responsibility.
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:37:41 PM

Dropdeadly said:
Do you have two separate internet connections? Or just one? What are the reasons for the two routers, a fail back? range?

We split the PC's into 2 segments, so that if 1 router fails, only those PC's are down.
m
l
February 21, 2012 2:42:47 PM

Who setup your current design? How many wall jacks do you have that have network (internet) access? You're still going to need to know how those are connected. You really want to be careful with connecting to two different live jacks, though I'm assuming the building's network department has already set up their end to avoid a loop, but assuming can be a dangerous game - you really should contact your buidling's networking department or at least whoever setup what you currently have.

How do you acquire an IP address? Do you have your own DHCP server? This setup is very odd and doesn't sound like it was properly setup, but if you have a Cisco router I'd at least guess somebody with some networking experience did something at one point. (sorry for the constant edits to this post, I'm done now lol)
m
l
!