Sign in with
Your question

Please help technical support needed I am at witts end!

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2013 2:31:42 AM

Hello all, thank you for everyone that took the time to read this, I hope you can help.

Here is my build out
Windows 7 pro, 64 bit

Gigabyte GA-970A-ud3h
Crucial vengance 8 GB DDR3
AMD Phenom x3 720 @2.7 ghz.
Corsair 700 watt power

seagate 2TB barracuda (boot drive)
Crucial Adrenaline with dataplex 50 GB cache drive
WD 320 gig green drive (back up, was old os boot drive but re formatted and did fresh install on the seagate barracuda)
WD 500 gb green drive, just back up files.

I had been using an older gigabyte board with DDR 2 and the same processor, then I upgraded the processor to the Phenom x6 1045T, and added the cache drive.

My pc worked fine for a few weeks then randomly started freezing up and rebooting pc on its own, then would not boot unless I went in and changed the boot sequence every time.

I thought then I must have a bad hard drive so I installed the seagate and did a fresh windows install, was slower than ever btw.

when that did not work and still had a hard time doing anything I went and bought the new board in which I am using now, and tried the phenom x6 processor and new ddr3 memory.

needless to say the problems still did not go away.

Symptoms: I can open web browsers and then they will freeze, also any installation of download I tried to do I would have the same problems. it also would not open any files.

so I switched back the processor to the X3 and still the same problems, oddly I am not having as bad of problems with regular file browsing but I can still hardly open a web browser without it freezing that portion of the computer. or the load time being really slow.

I find it hard to believe that my old compaq with an intel celeron running basic windows 7 is our performing my desktop in speed.

are there any diagnostic tools or am I up a creek? I truly dont know what to do next... please help

bartservices@gmail.com

THanks

nathan betters
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 2:54:44 AM

Have you reinstalled windows?
Is your copy of windows genuine?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 2:56:48 AM

Have you tried updating the bios? Or adjusting your bios settings? How about discrete gpu? Just a few suggestions.
m
l
Related resources
March 6, 2013 3:05:31 AM

I would check your hard disk and power supply
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 3:15:16 AM

ditch the caching drive and software and try booting solely from the mechanical hard drive
m
l
March 6, 2013 3:26:34 AM

The latest firmware for that cache drive is version: 040H
Also did you install it in AHCI mode (in your bios)? And in "my computer" you should not be able to see the cache drive; as it should appear "as one" with your 2TB Seagate. When you first install Windows and are messing in your bios, it would also be best if your other two Western Digital hardrives were not even connected. Then nothing can get screwed up and they can be connected later. Once the system is stable(after all Windows updates and the drivers are intalled).

And did you follow the installation guide and know what your doing with the Dataplex software(check for latest version too)?
m
l
March 6, 2013 8:50:41 PM

to answer the questions, I did do a fresh genuine windows install on the seagate drive without the cache drive installed, I added that later. I downloaded the most recent dataplex software yesterday, please note that I had the problems before installing the cache drive also, I was just hoping the cache drive would solve some of my speed problems.

its pretty frustrating, I am trying to finish my website www.allgreatart.com and I cant barly budge to get it completed because my computer is being stupid

it seems once the internet browser is open its fine but if I open a new one or different program it bogs down??

also I am running most recent version of Kaspersky pure 3.0
m
l
March 7, 2013 1:33:27 AM

Ok, we just have to keep eliminating possible causes. With the infomation you have provided: CPU, motherboard, HDD/SSD, virus and standard updates/patches can prob be ruled out.

I'd like to ask one more basic thing; overheating. As it can cause rebooting, freezing, underclocking(slow feeling PC). Can you download the program "core temp" and check that you don't have a heat issue. And you did apply thermal paste ontop of you CPU?(that's very likely a yes, had to ask thou) And what do you have for a CPU cooler? Stock/OEM, hyper 212, ...??? I checked the TDP of your CPU's and they are both 95 watts.
m
l
March 7, 2013 3:43:04 AM

wdmfiber said:
Ok, we just have to keep eliminating possible causes. With the infomation you have provided: CPU, motherboard, HDD/SSD, virus and standard updates/patches can prob be ruled out.

I'd like to ask one more basic thing; overheating. As it can cause rebooting, freezing, underclocking(slow feeling PC). Can you download the program "core temp" and check that you don't have a heat issue. And you did apply thermal paste ontop of you CPU?(that's very likely a yes, had to ask thou) And what do you have for a CPU cooler? Stock/OEM, hyper 212, ...??? I checked the TDP of your CPU's and they are both 95 watts.

I did yes apply paste, and i will try that program. Its a stock heatsink that came with the processor. The only other thing i can replace is the power supply but thats a coarsair 700 watt never had a problem before. Although i just noticed today my wd500 gig drive mysteriousely no longer shows in the system. Perhaps a lack of power would cause this?

Ps please excuse typos im using my galaxy s3 since my dog of a computer. Is being dumb.
m
l
March 9, 2013 2:47:10 AM

ok, all I upgraded to a new corsair HX850 and I still had the same problems, I still noticed that my WD backup drive is not showing in my computer so I unplugged it all together and unplugged my cache drive and disabled it at start up when it asked me to synchronize it or disable it I chose to disable it. I would have to say my performance seems to be a bit better
beginning to wonder if $450 in hardware upgrades was really worth it. I probably would have been fine just by unplugging the cache drive. however that doest not explain the WD 5oo drive going missing....I will run it for a while does anyone know of a good program I can test the loads with?
m
l
March 9, 2013 2:48:30 AM

FYI my core temp is running at 33 degrees cel. and each of my cores is at 11% load.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 9, 2013 3:10:49 AM

is this under full load(stress test) or just idle
m
l
March 9, 2013 10:24:05 PM

@bartservices
Read you reply back on the 7th. No worries about spelling.

Just out of ideas. I thought "well you applied thermal paste", but maybe a fan is dead and temps are ~100 degrees at light load; browsing the net. But nope, it's ok. The 33 degrees C is prob at idle or minimal load(hense 11%). And that's fine.

And now that you've eliminated the PSU... I don't really don't know now:( 
m
l
March 10, 2013 11:16:16 PM

for the last two or three days it was working great and it has slowed down again... I dont know what to do other than take a baseball bat to the $500 worth of equipment I just put in it.. I dont understand why its so random, literally everything in the computer is brand spanking new right down to the windows install.. unless theres a corrupt file in windows but I have no way of telling :(  I had to download a bootable install disc and use an ISO program to create it. but I have Kaspersky pure and no viruses so im unsure..... however the first install of windows was on an OEM system builders disc and it worked fine and then degraded so im leaning towards hardware... I think im doomed
m
l
March 17, 2013 11:14:47 AM

the first few times I ran the burn in test it ran fine with no errors. then I installed a modding tool for xbox Horizon and it kept freezing up so I uninstalled the software and ran the burn in test again and it came up with temperature errors. what temp should my processor be running at under heavy load?
m
l
March 17, 2013 11:32:53 AM

after that I restarted and and ran another burn in test with over 1.3 trillion operations at full load the temp never broke 47% on any core. and im typing this while its running. I dont understand....
m
l
March 17, 2013 12:09:49 PM

any browsers are slow to open, and if I try and open any control panels it takes forever to load, example I went into the add remove devices because I can not get my label printer to work so I removed all the device drivers (unit is also not connected in any way to the pc) and after closing the control panel and opening it back up the drivers were listed again. and to boot my regular laser printer drivers wont work... I think im narrowing this down to a windows problem not a hardware problem because systematically all the hardware is new and functioning fine?? where or how can I test all the windows software to make sure its not corrupt?
m
l
!