Sign in with
Your question

New Built, Some Video Editing, 3 Monitors

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2013 4:01:44 AM

Hello,

New to the forum. Seems like a great community. I'm looking to build my first PC with no gaming at all, only professional usage with programs such as Photoshop, some Adobe Video editing and your everyday internet usage. I will need to drive at least 3 led monitors (21.5").

Any suggestions? I would start off my budget under $1000 for now.. Looking forward to comments, thanks!
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2013 4:30:51 AM

Monitors included in budget?
m
l
March 6, 2013 5:27:12 AM

I have the monitors already.
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2013 6:04:25 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770S 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($291.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($47.98 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $998.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-06 03:08 EST-0500)

(You'll need an ACTIVE display port to dvi adapter to get the third monitor to work.)
m
l
March 6, 2013 3:38:24 PM

DarkSable said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770S 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($291.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($47.98 @ Outlet PC)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $998.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-06 03:08 EST-0500)

(You'll need an ACTIVE display port to dvi adapter to get the third monitor to work.)

Excellent!

I will also need a network card right? For the graphics card, anymore options or is that the best for the money?
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2013 4:03:45 PM

BoostN said:
Excellent!

I will also need a network card right? For the graphics card, anymore options or is that the best for the money?

Depends on how you're connecting to the network. If you want wireless, then yes, you should get a PCI wireless card.
If you're going to use an ethernet cable, then you're set - all modern motherboards have very good built-in network cards.

As for the graphics card, that's pretty much the cheapest 2GB 7750. An older AMD card, possibly a 6850, could be found used for about $100, which is the same price as most of the other 7750s out there. The reason you want that instead of an Nvidia card is pretty simple - AMD handles three monitors way better. That being said, depending on the programs you use, they might want an Nvidia card - in which case you want to be looking at the GT 640.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2013 4:36:48 PM

Noob12 said:
Why is CPU 3770S? It must be a 3770K! or intel xeon 1230V2 That is cheaper and you do not overclock? ASRock is not overclock able MoBo and you do not have CPU cooler.

Take the PRO model of samsung SSD
32GB of RAM? 16GB is more than you need. Take 16GB and buy more IF you need.

mATX mobo if you do not overclock. Gigabyte B-75 D3H is fine.

You need for Photoshop,Adobe Video editing Nvidia video card.

1) It's a 3770S because there's no need to overclock, and it's cheaper.

2) Many AsRock motherboards ARE overclockable, but this one doesn't happen to be, no.

3) If you try to add on a z77 motherboard, a "k" series processor, and a cpu cooler, you just busted the budget, big time.

4) The PRO is better, yes, I know that, but it's also $40 more.

5) The OP is going to be using this computer professionally, with Photoshop and video editing. 32GB of ram is about the sweet spot for a workstation designed to do that.

6) Why in the world would you want an mATX motherboard? Small form factor is great, if that's what you want - for a workstation, it's NOT what you want - you want as much flexibility and upgrade-ability as possible.

7) Wait, what? That's absolutely backwards - CS6 uses open GL, which is found on AMD - you get FAR more benefit from a 7750 than a 660. AMD also runs multi-monitor setups far better.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 6, 2013 5:24:22 PM

Noob12 said:
First the xeon is for professional CPU , 3770k is much faster than 3770S? Right. Also xeon is much faster than 3770S. At same price.
Find out here:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1...

I know that video and photo editing needs lots of memory. But do you really need that much? No.
You can upgrade later 16GB more if you really need it.

mATX board is cheaper and this one is really much better than the ASROCK pro 3 (much more reliable)
PRO if all trouble. Sure you can get the D3H in ATX form if that is must. No need for that, really.

You cant upgrade 1155 MoBo anyway. It is done deal. 1150 comes out and then you buy that. Right?

Yeah maybe I was wrong in that video card thing. I was thinking CUDA support. Sorry about that.

Still that CPU Is bad because you can get better at same price. Xeon is better. 3770k is fastest CPU for videoediting.
Thats why I did put it in. In 1155 series CPU:s

Actually you do not get any benefit of 7750 vs 660 or 660ti. Both runs 3 monitors that size easily.
Only benefit is overclocking ability. And that depends of card. Are you sure that in this kind of work it is better to take 7750?
I think not.

I do apologize, I was getting the "s" moniker confused with the "p" moniker - I'd go with a 3770, then. (The xeon will be faster for some things but not others - look at your own benchmarks.)

It depends on what exactly the OP is doing - we can leave the choice of RAM up to him.

I find that AsRock is extremely reliable - are there problems with the pro 3 that I haven't heard about?

As for upgrading, I was referring to expansion slots - sound cards, wifi, whatever.

No worries, it can get real confusing as to what programs want CUDA and what programs want Open GL.

Yeah, as for the CPU, like I said, I got "s" confused with "p" - and though the 3770k is amazing, I'm not sure there's room for overclocking; I'd advise the normal 3770.

Again, this is a workstation; I'm not sure the OP is going to want to overclock. Presuming that the monitors are 1080p, though, I'd seriously recommend an amd card - I mean, you can't compare a $100 card with the $300 660ti, no, but a 7850 would be more than enough.
m
l
a b C Monitor
March 7, 2013 6:59:44 PM

Noob12 said:
Lots of many kind of problems. I think it is not god MoBo for work-pc. That need to be reliable. Asrick pro3/4 is not.
Extreme 4 is maybe better. But it have problems too. Bettr is asus or gigabyte like I said.
What sort of problems, aside from being flexible, does the Extreme 4 have? I would imagine if it were riddled with holes, like you claim, it wouldn't be the top pick of most of us on the forums and many tech reviewers.

Noob12 said:
Id like to know what is upgarde plan for this build.
There isn't an upgrade plan, but if the OP should, in the future, wish to upgrade, isn't it better to HAVE that option than to not have it?

Noob12 said:
I do not understand this. why 3770? Price is $289.98 and intel xeon 1230V2 is $234.98 save 55$ and do not lose anything.
I think this is better deal. For 55 $ you can get better GPU or more memory or what ever need is. Or better MoBo. You catn tell which processor you have if you use it for the purpose in question. So is it worth to pay for it? I think not. Xeon is for workstation CPU that is why it is best choice here.
That's a point of debate - suffice it to say that that both would function fine for a workstation. (The point I will contest is that you don't lose anything - the 3770 is significantly faster.)

Noob12 said:
Better way to go is take cheaper and as fast CPU and put more money to GPU. And take more reliable MoBo.
It do not matter is it ATX or mATX.
Why your obsession over the graphics card? This is a workstation, not a gaming machine - the differences in compute performance will be negligible, so all that's needed is a 7750, or if the OP really wants the upgrade, a 7850. More than that is pointless.

As for the reliable motherboard, I was doing research, and cannot find any more incidents of issues arising with it than any other motherboard - there certainly wasn't an issue that kept popping up, indicating weak construction, nor were there people railing against it. If you're going to make the claims you are, please back them up with information from somewhere.
m
l
!