Internet Troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmilt17

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012
Hello,
My computer experiences problems loading web pages at times during the day. It will go from working great and taking a page several minutes to load, or most times, not even at all. My wireless connection is always at excellent and my provider says everything is good on their end. I checked to make sure my router was compatible with windows 7, and it is. I've moved my computer to a different part of my house and so far so go. What could my issue be?? Could it be that where the computer was located in my home wasn't good??

Solution
This is called over selling a node there is nothing technically wrong on either side there are just too many people accessing the network at one time lowering everyone's speed. Sometimes to very low 100kbps or slower. This is an issue I have dealt with for some time with my ISP there is no legal action, as long as they are providing you with service in a stable manner. Stable meaning good signals speed does not factor in, standard policy is that they must provide about half or 1/4 the speed advertised but good luck proving it. The contract says "Up To" said speed there is no promise of top speed at all times.

The location of the PC does play a huge part in speed 18 feet is as far as my PC can be from the router before I lose signal...

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
This is called over selling a node there is nothing technically wrong on either side there are just too many people accessing the network at one time lowering everyone's speed. Sometimes to very low 100kbps or slower. This is an issue I have dealt with for some time with my ISP there is no legal action, as long as they are providing you with service in a stable manner. Stable meaning good signals speed does not factor in, standard policy is that they must provide about half or 1/4 the speed advertised but good luck proving it. The contract says "Up To" said speed there is no promise of top speed at all times.

The location of the PC does play a huge part in speed 18 feet is as far as my PC can be from the router before I lose signal strength this is a wireless N router. Keep in mind what the wall is made of a signal trying to cut thru concrete or cement walls will lose a lot of strength if this is simple drywall then it shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind though the signal can hit any number of things in the wall on the way to your PC, pipes, unprotected electrical wires and my personal favorite your wireless phone can cause interference if it does not run on a separate frequency. All my phones run 5.8ghz my network runs 2.4ghz this prevents any interferance from the phone but alot of other things run 2.4ghz so its better to run the wireless off 5.8ghz and everything else on 2.4ghz.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.