Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Battlefield 3 low settings

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2013 2:24:50 PM

so ive recently been running my game on low to get the maximum amount of frames i can, usually on ultra i get about 60 - 100 fps on low im getting 120 but it has these dips where it goes to 60, i can see its the gpu usage dropping slightly to 70 or 80 percent its really annoying is there a way to stop this ive set maximum performance under nvidia control panel

gigabyte gtx 670 x3 windforce
i5 3570k at stock
8 gb ram
January 16, 2013 2:33:34 PM

why is there embedded link to a mens backpack in the words game on lol
January 16, 2013 2:43:16 PM

The reason you are seeing drops to 60 fps and also seeing GPU usage going to 70-80% is because of a CPU bottleneck. Although you have pretty much the best CPU out right now for gaming. The only thing you can really do is overclock your CPU, If you don't have a CPU cooler you will need one of those too. Oh and what refresh rate is your monitor? The only reason I could see you needing over 60 FPS is if you are using a 120+ Hz monitor... 60 Hz monitors can only display 60 FPS max.
Related resources
January 16, 2013 2:47:13 PM

yea im using a 120hz moniter, is it really a cpu bottleneck though? should be fine no? the stock clock speed is 3.4

this is my first build so i haven't bought an aftermarket CPU cooler yet as i didn't have enough money was guna go with the h80
January 16, 2013 2:47:51 PM

What's the point? You're already getting great performance even at ultra settings.

What is your gpu usage when you are playing at complete maximum settings? I had a 670 for a brief period(about a week before I returned it) and it only went up to 99% usage when I was stress testing it through FurMark. Playing games it only went around 75-80% usage. I was using an FX-6100 at the time, though, and it was a huge bottleneck and I think that might have been the reason it didn't go to full usage b/c it didn't need to, but I still am pretty unsure if that was the issue.

The 670 is a very efficient card, though. There is a way to enable maximum performance and I think you have to set it in the game profiles section of the nvidia control panel, but it might be somewhere else in the panel. Hope this helps.
January 16, 2013 3:07:05 PM

rnroll100 said:
yea im using a 120hz moniter, is it really a cpu bottleneck though? should be fine no? the stock clock speed is 3.4

this is my first build so i haven't bought an aftermarket CPU cooler yet as i didn't have enough money was guna go with the h80

Yea, If you overclock your CPU to something like 4.2-4.4 Ghz you will still see FPS drop but it will be closer to 70-75 FPS min and not 60 fps. I have no doubt it is your CPU causing this and not your GPU.
January 16, 2013 4:06:49 PM

On my system, 3.9 was as high as I needed to go to get under 100% cpu utilization in BF3 multi. That was a limited test tho so there could be maps that require more. Maybe I'll try that tonight...

At any rate, can't go wrong with Derza'a advice but I'd start at 4.2 and see how that goes and work up from there. I'm a fan of going with the minimum necessary.
January 16, 2013 4:18:30 PM

My question is if you are getting 60 - 100 FPS on ULTRA....why would you play on low for 20 more frames that you cant even tell the difference between?
January 16, 2013 4:21:49 PM

yarmock said:
My question is if you are getting 60 - 100 FPS on ULTRA....why would you play on low for 20 more frames that you cant even tell the difference between?

I'm pretty sure he changed his settings to low to test what was causing the issue... That data he provided helped to show that it was truly the CPU causing the FPS drops.
January 16, 2013 4:40:34 PM

the human eye can't see more than like 40 FPS, so anything more is useless. You only need 60 continuous FPS for it to not be jerky or laggy. this is why everyone still uses 60Hz monitors.
a b Î Nvidia
January 16, 2013 5:06:56 PM

ittimjones said:
the human eye can't see more than like 40 FPS, so anything more is useless. You only need 60 continuous FPS for it to not be jerky or laggy. this is why everyone still uses 60Hz monitors.

That's a myth, that has been debunked SO many times it's not even funny. It stems from old movies that played at 32 (or something close) frames a second. Games are an entirely different matter, however, because movies have motion blur...

That being said, this IS a myth, and extremely, extremely easy to tell for anyone who games on a 120Hz monitor.

OP... Don't buy an h80. There's only one closed-loop watercooler that's decent, and that's the H100i. Every other one will have the pants beat off it by an equivalent air cooler... and to get to 4.4 or so, all you need is a Hyper 212 EVO. Don't waste the money on a POS that's liable to break and fry your cpu when it does.
January 16, 2013 5:23:30 PM

Movies are 24 frames, new/sports/etc is 30 frames, Peter Jackson Land is 48 frames. 120Hz+ TVs use a processor to smooth the 30fps out to 120 and for sports it's pretty nice. Smoothing 24 frame movies to 120 creates the "soap opera effect" that I find craptastic.

Sorry for that ramble. The 30 frames doesn't stem from "can't see above that" but from "that's normally good enough" and was a function of the GPU technology of the time. Still, good enough is very individual thing.
January 17, 2013 6:32:45 AM

yarmock said:

its mostly for competitve play, frames are really important i know it dosent seem like it but the controls feel much much smoother at 120 fps, also although you cant tell the difference between 60 or 120 whilst your playing you can definitely tell when the frames drop from 100 to 60
January 17, 2013 6:33:40 AM

DarkSable said:
That's a myth, that has been debunked SO many times it's not even funny. It stems from old movies that played at 32 (or something close) frames a second. Games are an entirely different matter, however, because movies have motion blur...

That being said, this IS a myth, and extremely, extremely easy to tell for anyone who games on a 120Hz monitor.

OP... Don't buy an h80. There's only one closed-loop watercooler that's decent, and that's the H100i. Every other one will have the pants beat off it by an equivalent air cooler... and to get to 4.4 or so, all you need is a Hyper 212 EVO. Don't waste the money on a POS that's liable to break and fry your cpu when it does.

ok mate ill have a look at some others was also thinking about the hyper 212+
January 17, 2013 6:37:17 AM

Can someone please explain to me though why i would be getting a bottleneck on low settings but not ultra? i r confused

is it because the game is switching the usage to be more CPU intensive?

I though it was something silly like the graphics card not using the power because it didnt need to? gpu boost?

i also thought that the prefer maximum performance setting would sort it but alas
January 17, 2013 12:18:17 PM

anyone?
!