Sign in with
Your question

7950 shutting down when playing games

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2013 3:04:31 PM

hello i am new to the forums and i have been having a problem with my gigabyte radeon hd 7950 windforce 3x when i play games like crysis 2 or far cry 3 my graphics cards fan basically the game hangs for a few seconds then shuts down and i get "input not supported" and a few seconds later the game restarts where i was from and this happens every few mins so both games are unplayable ive tested on unigine heaven benchmark at highest settings and it runs at 30 fps no crashes and ive used 3dmark 11 benchmark and no crashes just those 2 games i am running them at the highest settings and ive tried at 4080x768 and 1366x768 and i get the same results i have tried disabling firewalll and antivirus and updating motherboard bios and drivers and i have no luck but the only errors i have got are amd drivers have stopped responding and recoverd and desktop window manager crashes i cant find a fix to this problem anywhere
sorry if this is in the wrong section please ask if you require anymore information

System Specs:
cpu: intel i7 3770k 3.5ghz
mobo: asus sabertooth z77 lga 1155
ram: corsair dominator 8gb 1333mhz
gpu: gigabyte radeon hd 7950 windforce 3x
psu: ocz zx 1250w 80+ gold
case: coolermaster haf x
cpu cooler: corsair h100
January 16, 2013 3:55:35 PM

how are your gpu temps? crashing might be cause by overheating card
January 16, 2013 3:56:48 PM

Open case. Make sure your PCI-E power cables leading to the GPU are plugged in all the way. Do the same for 24-pin and 8-pin plugged into your motherboard. If doesn't help try different cables.
Related resources
January 16, 2013 6:29:10 PM

alvine said:
how are your gpu temps? crashing might be cause by overheating card

the highest temp that the gpu got to whilst running crysis 2 at max settings was 48c i used msi afterburner to record it
January 16, 2013 7:35:52 PM

hizodge said:
Open case. Make sure your PCI-E power cables leading to the GPU are plugged in all the way. Do the same for 24-pin and 8-pin plugged into your motherboard. If doesn't help try different cables.

all of the wires are correctly plugged in and none are loose
January 16, 2013 7:46:08 PM

Are your cards overclocked? It seems like you have unstable clock speeds causing your drivers to crash, and then recover. Try lowering the core clock of your cards and see if that fixes it.
January 16, 2013 7:49:05 PM

Derza10 said:
Are your cards overclocked? It seems like you have unstable clock speeds causing your drivers to crash, and then recover. Try lowering the core clock of your cards and see if that fixes it.

the default card clock is at 900mhz and i overclocked it to the 7970 default clock speeds of 925
January 16, 2013 7:49:26 PM

Derza10 said:

and i dont understand how it works with benchmarks but not crysis 2 or far cry 3
January 16, 2013 7:54:59 PM

Derza10 said:

ive overclocked the gpu to the 7970 default clocks of 925mhz but when i was checking the temps i noticed the voltage is not being recognised is the normal for 7950 windforce 3x ive attached a screenshot
January 16, 2013 7:55:28 PM

tr1t0n said:
and i dont understand how it works with benchmarks but not crysis 2 or far cry 3

Benchmarks are not the be all end all of checking stability... there are many benchmarks you can run and have your card stable but not stable in some games. Just try it.. if as you said it happens every few mins... It is very easy for you to rule it out. Try putting them both to 850Mhz.
January 16, 2013 8:14:46 PM

Derza10 said:
Benchmarks are not the be all end all of checking stability... there are many benchmarks you can run and have your card stable but not stable in some games. Just try it.. if as you said it happens every few mins... It is very easy for you to rule it out. Try putting them both to 850Mhz.

thanks the default clocks you provided have stopped the game crashing and it is now playable thanks im kinda confused how gigabytes factory clocks of 900mhz were not stable
January 16, 2013 8:17:09 PM

Some cards are right on the edge of stability coming from the factories... you just got very unlucky... You could RMA it and get a replacement.
January 16, 2013 8:18:34 PM

you could also try AMD driver 12.8 instead if lowering the clocks doesn't help. I'm not sure how the 7000 series responds to the 12.10 driver but the 5000 series has issues with it. black screens then it comes back to where you were. this happened to me and a friend. both of us had the same issue and swapping back helped. can't hurt to try right.

edit while typing this you found the issue :hello: 
January 16, 2013 10:28:12 PM

the problem is now fixed i just had to increase the voltage to 1050 and it is now stable and crysis 2 and far cry 3 work perfectly thanks
January 17, 2013 1:28:00 PM

tr1t0n said:
the problem is now fixed i just had to increase the voltage to 1050 and it is now stable and crysis 2 and far cry 3 work perfectly thanks

The issue is you should not have to change voltage to run at factory specs... If it does not bother you then that is fine... But you could RMA it and get a better quality card, one that will work at factory clocks.
January 17, 2013 2:23:57 PM

you should not need to up the voltage at all to run factory specs period. RMA it don't play around with a bad card to start. it could last till just out of warranty then blow.
!