Sign in with
Your question

Homebuilt PC Advice

Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2013 2:58:43 PM

Hello, everybody. I was just hoping to ask for some final advice on my choice of components, as this is the first time I will be building a PC on my own (I've done it before, but with the help of a more experienced friend).

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU: nVidia GTX Titan
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4x4)
HDD: WD VelociRaptor 1TB
SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
Case: Antec Performance One P280
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212
PSU: Corsair HX850 850W
Optical Drive: ASUS Blu-Ray Burner

This is obviously a very high-end system, but since price isn't a huge constraint for me, I would rather build a PC with the best possible components and make it as future-proof as possible. I was mainly hoping to make sure all of the components are compatible, or if maybe there is a much better choice for some of the components. I could conceivably up the CPU to a 3930K and the motherboard to a x79 one, but I'm pretty sure that is power that I will never really use, and I don't want to get to excessive. Thanks in advance,

More about : homebuilt advice

a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 4:25:12 PM

Attempting to future proof is a huge waste of money. Keep in mind that in 2 years there will be a $400 gpu that kills the titan. That said, what resolution are you going to game on? I can't really recommend anything without knowing that.
March 6, 2013 4:37:25 PM

Most likely at 2560x1600 - unless the performance is to bad, then I can drop down to 1080. I understand the GTX 690 is more powerful at the same price, but I'd sacrifice that in order to get lower heat, noise and compatibility issues that apparently arise from dual gpu's.

I know that future-proofing is impossible, but that's the case with all components, so I might as well go with the best option available right now.
Related resources
March 6, 2013 4:39:03 PM

Hi shaego950!

I agree with wanderer11 that futureproofing will always be futile. Better to buy what you need now than what you think you may need a year later.

That said, what would you be using your build for? If it's for games, I'd go and suggest bringing down the Ram to 8 GB. Although since Ram is so cheap nowadays, and you have the budget, why not?

If you're really going for extreme, then I suggest getting 2 Titans in SLI!
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 4:40:01 PM

My input would be:
- get 2x 8GB - same amount, more room between the sticks for airflow
- what is the use case behind the velociraptor? your OS, all apps, and a LOT of games will fit on the SSD - that leave the HDD for media (photos, videos, docs) which launch and stream just fine from even a lowly 5400rpm drive - you'd do fine with any standard 7200rpm model
- OCZ has come a long way, but might consider a Samsung 840 Pro instead
- are you going to be burning a lot of movies? if not, an external 1TB backup drive is far more time and cost effective
March 6, 2013 5:00:47 PM

-Good point, though I've heard quad-channel gives marginally better performance
-I've thought of that - it probably is a bit of an overkill, especially considering the price
-I understand there is little difference between SSD makes, and I went with the OCZ because it was the most popular on Newegg out of the more top-end SSDs
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 6:47:00 PM

- Z77 is two sets of dual channel, not quad channel (for that you need an X79-level board)
- OCZ's reputation was tarnished for a long time by some of their older drives - should be OK but time will tell
!