Cost vs performance

Hello,
in the next couple weeks im going to buy a video card for the gaming build i did for xmas i would like to play new games at nice settings on an 1080p monitor and hope to get something that remains expectable for a couple years

my problem is i am not sure what card to get fo the price range i am looking at
since the specs are only slightly different i would just want to buy the best card for its the price

these are the cards i was looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130810&cm_mmc=SNC-YouTube-_-NETV-_-uQUhfhVw-L4-_-14-130-810

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130834

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130812

if anyone could give recommendations that would be great
9 answers Last reply
More about cost performance
  1. robosheep said:
    Hello,
    in the next couple weeks im going to buy a video card for the gaming build i did for xmas i would like to play new games at nice settings on an 1080p monitor and hope to get something that remains expectable for a couple years

    my problem is i am not sure what card to get fo the price range i am looking at
    since the specs are only slightly different i would just want to buy the best card for its the price

    these are the cards i was looking at

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130810&cm_mmc=SNC-YouTube-_-NETV-_-uQUhfhVw-L4-_-14-130-810

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130834

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130812

    if anyone could give recommendations that would be great


    The 660 Ti forsure but all you really need is the 2gb version, well you could just buy the 3gb version for the extra $10 but you wont notice a increase in performance. Youll benefit from those extra gbs if you upgrade to dual or triple 1080p monitors. But as for Cost vs Peformance the Ti as the upperhand over the non Ti, its performance increase over it is worth the extra $ imo.
  2. What is your price range exactly? The cards you list are Mid-level cards. The better of the two of course is the 660Ti which competes with the 7950. It also is a dubbed down version of the 670 with a lower memory bit, lower mount of ROP's 24 with the 660/Ti and 32 with the 670/680. Your experience will be quiet similar with the 7950 with the Ti version of the 660 however when you move up to the 670 you and 7970 you get more of the top tier performance that you won't feel with the 660Ti. Also to note the 7950 will more then likely have a longer lifespan due to the memory bit lane. I'm providing you a link to the cards which somewhat fit your range of cards you have outlined as well as the higher tiered cards.

    Nvidia: GTX660, GTX660Ti, GTX670 AMD: HD7850, HD7950, HD7970.

    http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=114,113,101,81,71,70&r=3072,2048&sort=a5
  3. If you don't mind mail-ins... this is the card to get for that price range.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133452
  4. I've had awful luck with PNY they seem to be on sale ALL the time which leads me to believe they have improved over time. If you get a reference cooler you are better off with EVGA. If you are after a aftermarket cooling solution then I would take a look between MSI, and ASUS, and Sapphire (with AMD).
  5. bigshootr8 said:
    I've had awful luck with PNY they seem to be on sale ALL the time which leads me to believe they have improved over time. If you get a reference cooler you are better off with EVGA. If you are after a aftermarket cooling solution then I would take a look between MSI, and ASUS, and Sapphire (with AMD).


    Yes the only issue is going to EVGA 670 would add another $60-$100 and be way out of budget... The PNY 670 is better than the GTX 660 Ti's.
  6. Derza10 said:
    If you don't mind mail-ins... this is the card to get for that price range.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133452


    Holy **** a 670 for that price, thanks for showing my that I might upgrade mine to that.
  7. It is you are right however you are taking a chance with them. I wouldn't want to buy the cheapest 670 knowing the cooler was bunk either. It's really up to him though there pricing has me worried with there product of late.
  8. bigshootr8 said:
    It is you are right however you are taking a chance with them. I wouldn't want to buy the cheapest 670 knowing the cooler was bunk either. It's really up to him though there pricing has me worried with there product of late.

    You take a chance with all hardware you buy :) I mean it has a warranty if something does go wrong...
  9. That is true I think though for me I would want a decent cooler if not the customer support from EVGA a cooler from MSI or ASUS.
    MSI GTX670 PE (the fan is loud on boot because the fans rotate backwards for 30 seconds throwing dust off the card it slow down after)

    ASUS GTX670 DIRECTCUII (very silent, and very cool)


    and what a reference card like the PNY card would sound like
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Performance Graphics Product