Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Need Advice on GTX280 SC vs. GTX 650Ti 2GB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 16, 2013 7:49:13 PM

Hi to all!

I'm thinking about upgrading my graphics card. At the moment, I have a GTX 280 SC and, with the budget I have, the best one (I researched comparisons in Anandtech and videocardbenchmark.net) I found was the GTX 650Ti 2GB.

I want to upgrade it not so much as for a great boost in performance, but mostly because of DirectX 11 and other resources up-to-date graphics card have (and mine don't).

My doubt is: the GTX 280 has a whooping 512bit and the GTX 650 only a 128bit. In benchmarks I saw, the newer one wins pretty much everytime but will it be better in everything? I mean, regarding specific types of games. RTS, FPS and so on.

My current PC goes with a P8B75, 8gb DDR3 RAM Viper Corsair and a i3-3220 and I'm managing to play BF3 with mostly high settings. FarCry 3 it's everything on high with steady framerates. DoW2 is everything maxed out with framerates skyhigh. Will the 650 manage to do just as fine, maybe even better?

If the choice for the GTX 650Ti is a complete nonsense, what would you recommend? Keep in mind my budget is around the price of the 650.

Thanks!

p.s.: sorry for bad grammar, if any. English is not my native language.
p.s.²: it's hard to set a real budget because I live in Brazil and taxes are really high.
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 7:57:30 PM

That would be quite a good upgrade is Graphics Card
Score
0
Related resources

Best solution

a c 133 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 7:59:23 PM

The 650Ti's architecture is what will make it a upgrade over your old GTX280. It will handle DX11 games on playable settings it won't give you maxed out settings but it will do the job. Also, the card is quite a bit faster then the old GTX280. Also the 650Ti has quite a bit more CUDA cores then the GTX280 did. The only other opinions I would have for you are that if you can afford a GTX660 or a AMD 7850 2 gigabyte models they would be valid options as well.
Share
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 8:00:45 PM

bigshootr8 said:
The 650Ti's architecture is what will make it a upgrade over your old GTX280. It will handle DX11 games on playable settings it won't give you maxed out settings but it will do the job. Also, the card is quite a bit faster then the old GTX280. Also the 650Ti has quite a bit more CUDA cores then the GTX280 did. The only other opinions I would have for you are that if you can afford a GTX660 or a AMD 7850 2 gigabyte models they would be valid options as well.




Yeah my link is to a 2gb 7850
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 8:37:39 PM

He is in Brazil I'm not sure the eligibility would still be there. And Patrick that is a decently priced 7850 and I'm sure Amazon ships to Brazil.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 8:44:38 PM

7850 is your best bet...even the 1 gig version will do ok.
Score
0
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 8:46:26 PM

loops said:
7850 is your best bet...even the 1 gig version will do ok.


nobody in their right mind, gaming at 1600 resolution or above, would buy a 1gig card anymore.
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 8:50:54 PM

He never stated that he games at a 1600 resolution the OP that is.
Score
0
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 8:55:43 PM

I know he didn't. also should have provided more information, like a budget.

I think I also saw a 570 for about $180 at tigerdirect today. where that stands, charts need to be looked at.

also OP, FC3 will lay waste to a DX11 card. even the big ones.
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 9:13:14 PM

Well I know that two 570's are faster then a 680 I can tell you that. I would say that a 570 would be in the range of a 660 perhaps. Yea just as I thought a normal 660 non ti is about the same as a single 570.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=660
Score
0
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 9:27:42 PM

Your card is still good for any game, depending on the resolution and settings of course, as you stated if you can run those games well(Far cry 3, BF3), there's no point in "upgrading" for a 650ti, save some more, and then buy a real upgrade for your system, like the 660ti/670 gtx or who knows the new series cards from both brands that might come this year.
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 9:31:32 PM

Agreed if you play heavy first person shooters mid high/high end cards are the way to go.
Score
0
January 16, 2013 10:23:39 PM

Wow! Lots of answers in such short notice!

Ok, let's go by parts.

My first option WAS the GTX660. It's much superior to the GTX650Ti, BUT, like I said, my budget won't cut it.

Answering to some people, the reason I did not submit a budget is because I live in Brazil. Products like these, imported, will have almost 80% taxed over it. Just so you guys have an idea, the GTX660 here is almost double the price of the GTX650Ti, both being 2GB. I know, it's ridiculous. I won't even begin to talk about GTX570 or upper ones.

swifty_morgan said something about FC3 laying waste to DX11 cards. I'm not sure I follow... does this mean that on DX11, games require MORE 'power'? My GTX280 goes up to DX10, but most games run or either DX9 or DX11, so they end up running on DX9. My concern (and reason for upgrade) is that games will start to require at least DX11.

Ah, more info: I run games on a 1440x900 resolution (19" screen).

--

Concerning the 7850, the price is almost my budget, but I saw some benchmarks and the 1GB version seems to be almost inferior to my GTX280 (excluding the DX11 resource, of course).
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 10:26:29 PM

Far Cry 3 is one of those games right now that is really put cards to work is what he means. There are ways to play Far Cry 3 without all the bells and whistles with the ability to enjoy it if you were to play the game :)  At your resolution a 650Ti is fine. I'm sorry to hear about prices there in Brazil wish there was a computer shop in your country that had decently priced products.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 10:45:12 PM

Sorry to hear about the high taxes/prices =/

For a 1440x900 resolution, I think the gtx 650 ti will be just fine and you will be able to play on high settings with at least 30fps. Usually we like to assume you're going to be gaming on a 1920x1080 screen (thats what benchmarks are usually taken on). We should have asked you what resolution you were going to be playing on in the first place.
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 10:50:18 PM

Perhaps yea you are right Fud but its okay either way a 650Ti will fit the bill for playable settings on both resolutions maybe not balls to the wall but fairly good. Also I wanted to say earlier but forgot to your written english is quite good you shouldn't doubt yourself by telling people your grammar may be poor you do fine :) 
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 11:27:11 PM

imo, if budget permits for a 660Ti, my vote goes to 660ti.

a 650 should be fine now, games like crysis3 is round around the corner, we could all use the extra fps
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 16, 2013 11:48:43 PM

He's looking at a 650Ti because taxes in his country are unreal. He knows what card is better. He is looking for the card that fits the bill and the 650Ti is it. That or the 7770 honestly.
Score
0
January 17, 2013 12:23:17 AM

djangoringo said:
Your card is still good for any game, depending on the resolution and settings of course, as you stated if you can run those games well(Far cry 3, BF3), there's no point in "upgrading" for a 650ti, save some more, and then buy a real upgrade for your system, like the 660ti/670 gtx or who knows the new series cards from both brands that might come this year.

Honestly that GTX 280 is garbage and it's not even DX11.
Score
0
January 17, 2013 12:26:43 AM

Cons29 said:
imo, if budget permits for a 660Ti, my vote goes to 660ti.

a 650 should be fine now, games like crysis3 is round around the corner, we could all use the extra fps

IMO why go for a 660ti when you can get a 7950 for the same price. AMD Radeon has nvidia beat everywhere now in day as far as GPUs go.
Score
0
January 17, 2013 1:52:13 AM

djangoringo said:
Garbage ?
For it's time it wasn't bad,it was the best card, it can run any game at dx9, most of the games are console ports anyway, the 280 gtx still offers some decent performance in most games.
Here's some bench :

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Point_Of_View/GeForce_GTX_280...
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_650_Ti_Amp_...


In my opinion, he's better off saving for a better card, like the 660 gtx.

The GTX 280 is a slouch in old games I own one and it was replaced by a GTX 560 in short order.
Score
0
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 2:10:13 AM

A 560 gtx non ti, also wasn't that good anyway, a 560 ti or 570/580 gtx in the 500 series was the only good options.
And like i said, in dx9 games for his current resolution, it's a decent card, even for some recent games.
Of course like i said, it's better going with a new card, but i think it's probably save some more and get either a 7850 or the 660 gtx.
Score
0
January 17, 2013 2:22:25 AM

djangoringo said:
A 560 gtx non ti, also wasn't that good anyway, a 560 ti or 570/580 gtx in the 500 series was the only good options.
And like i said, in dx9 games for his current resolution, it's a decent card, even for some recent games.
Of course like i said, it's better going with a new card, but i think it's probably save some more and get either a 7850 or the 660 gtx.

What are you talking about the GTX 560 was a great mid range budget card and still is albeit the new options are of cource better.
Score
0
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 2:28:28 AM

The 560 ti yes, the 560 gtx, no, the 6870 was a better choice at that moment, the 560 ti yes it's a good card and worth the extra over the 560 gtx.
The 280 gtx is probably on the level with a 460 gtx minus dx11 capabilities.
Score
0
a c 105 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 2:41:37 AM

you guys can fight over this card or that card. he lives in Brazil. this ( GTX 650Ti 2GB ) is the card he posted and can afford to buy. no brainer......................
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 2:55:24 AM

lorgot said:
Wow! Lots of answers in such short notice!

Ok, let's go by parts.

My first option WAS the GTX660. It's much superior to the GTX650Ti, BUT, like I said, my budget won't cut it.

Answering to some people, the reason I did not submit a budget is because I live in Brazil. Products like these, imported, will have almost 80% taxed over it. Just so you guys have an idea, the GTX660 here is almost double the price of the GTX650Ti, both being 2GB. I know, it's ridiculous. I won't even begin to talk about GTX570 or upper ones.

swifty_morgan said something about FC3 laying waste to DX11 cards. I'm not sure I follow... does this mean that on DX11, games require MORE 'power'? My GTX280 goes up to DX10, but most games run or either DX9 or DX11, so they end up running on DX9. My concern (and reason for upgrade) is that games will start to require at least DX11.

Ah, more info: I run games on a 1440x900 resolution (19" screen).

--

Concerning the 7850, the price is almost my budget, but I saw some benchmarks and the 1GB version seems to be almost inferior to my GTX280 (excluding the DX11 resource, of course).


Agreed Swifty. I made this point earlier and I'll make it again. Please stop looking at what you would do but think about what the person who made the post will do or should do rather. The best option for you is the 650Ti 2 gigabyte at the moment. You realize what cards are better for you as evident through your posts in the thread.
Score
0
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 3:10:42 AM

lorgot said:
Concerning the 7850, the price is almost my budget, but I saw some benchmarks and the 1GB version seems to be almost inferior to my GTX280 (excluding the DX11 resource, of course).


So he might get the 7850...here's some bench with a 1GB card :

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7850_RoyalQueen/im...

Same performance as the 7850 2GB, for that resolution, the extra GB isn't needed.
Depending on how much is the price difference the 7850 might be worth it :

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_650_Ti_Direc...

It will prove a rather good upgrade.
Score
0
January 17, 2013 3:20:02 AM

djangoringo said:
The 560 ti yes, the 560 gtx, no, the 6870 was a better choice at that moment, the 560 ti yes it's a good card and worth the extra over the 560 gtx.
The 280 gtx is probably on the level with a 460 gtx minus dx11 capabilities.

What ev I paid $130 for it so great price/performance much better than 560ti at around $200
Score
0
a c 109 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 3:23:32 AM

Like you said for the 280 gtx, it's "garbage"...boom.
Score
0
January 17, 2013 3:56:31 AM

djangoringo said:
So he might get the 7850...here's some bench with a 1GB card :

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7850_RoyalQueen/im...

Same performance as the 7850 2GB, for that resolution, the extra GB isn't needed.
Depending on how much is the price difference the 7850 might be worth it :

http://tpucdn.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_650_Ti_Direc...

It will prove a rather good upgrade.

Agreed as 7850 is much better than the 650ti albeit at $20 more for the 1gb model.
Score
0
January 17, 2013 10:08:04 AM

Ok. Suppose I manage to save some to get the 7850 1GB. In a 1440x900, will it make a big difference getting a 1GB version instead a 2GB 650Ti? The amount of memory regards the resolution then? I thought that since I was upgrading, it made no sense not getting a card with more memory than the one I currently own. What do you guys think?

Also, are there brands I should avoid? Here in Brazil, the Zotac ones are way cheaper than Gigabyte, for instance. But I read in a forum that a guy bought a GTX560 Zotac and the PCB was of a 460. So, you can understand my hesitation. Regarding Radeons, there is Zotac, Gigabyte, XFX and Sapphire here. The Geforce ones are Gigabyte, EVGA and Zogis (the Zogis being the cheaper one). Which are the most trustworthy ones?

--

bigshootr8 - Thanks for the compliment on my English!

--

Also, just did some extra research and found out that the GTX460 1GB is on the same price range of the GTX650Ti (actually, the older one is cheaper). The GTX460 has a 256bit bus. Is it more worth it than the 650Ti? Both support DX11 but the 460 is quite older, I guess...
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 1:31:08 PM

bigshootr8 said:
Well I know that two 570's are faster then a 680 I can tell you that. I would say that a 570 would be in the range of a 660 perhaps. Yea just as I thought a normal 660 non ti is about the same as a single 570.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=660

I don't consider 15% slower to be about the same... but to each their own.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 1:39:09 PM

lorgot said:
Ok. Suppose I manage to save some to get the 7850 1GB. In a 1440x900, will it make a big difference getting a 1GB version instead a 2GB 650Ti? The amount of memory regards the resolution then? I thought that since I was upgrading, it made no sense not getting a card with more memory than the one I currently own. What do you guys think?

Also, are there brands I should avoid? Here in Brazil, the Zotac ones are way cheaper than Gigabyte, for instance. But I read in a forum that a guy bought a GTX560 Zotac and the PCB was of a 460. So, you can understand my hesitation. Regarding Radeons, there is Zotac, Gigabyte, XFX and Sapphire here. The Geforce ones are Gigabyte, EVGA and Zogis (the Zogis being the cheaper one). Which are the most trustworthy ones?

--

bigshootr8 - Thanks for the compliment on my English!

--

Also, just did some extra research and found out that the GTX460 1GB is on the same price range of the GTX650Ti (actually, the older one is cheaper). The GTX460 has a 256bit bus. Is it more worth it than the 650Ti? Both support DX11 but the 460 is quite older, I guess...

The 7850 1 gb will be fine for you at that resolution.. there might be a few games where you will need to turn the AA down but other than that should be good... As for the GTX 460 vs GTX 650 ti bus.... Although the 650 ti only has 128 bit bus... the memory clock is almost double that of the gtx 460 ... making the bandwidth nearly the same. GTX 650 TI > GTX 460 no doubt.
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 8:55:23 PM

Derza10 said:
I don't consider 15% slower to be about the same... but to each their own.



I don't like dealing with percents just by glancing at the frames and the comparisons between said frames I would say they are close enough to one another. A 570 to a 660. I would prefer a 660 though lower power, better handling with dx11.

And because of his budget its hard to recommend even a 1 gigabyte 7850 as there are 650Ti's with 1 gigabyte that are a bit more inexpensive. Even when you hit the 2 gigabyte mark the 650Ti is cheaper. And knowing what he will have to pay tax wise it just seems easier for the 650Ti to be the way to go.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=118,81&sort...
Score
0
January 18, 2013 9:16:42 AM

bigshootr8 said:
I don't like dealing with percents just by glancing at the frames and the comparisons between said frames I would say they are close enough to one another. A 570 to a 660. I would prefer a 660 though lower power, better handling with dx11.

And because of his budget its hard to recommend even a 1 gigabyte 7850 as there are 650Ti's with 1 gigabyte that are a bit more inexpensive. Even when you hit the 2 gigabyte mark the 650Ti is cheaper. And knowing what he will have to pay tax wise it just seems easier for the 650Ti to be the way to go.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=118,81&sort...


I just checked the link. Even though I know prices here are higher, let me make a comparison so you guys have an idea. I narrowed it down (in that link) to 650Ti's only and 2GB. So it left me with four different brands. The Gigabyte one costs $171,48, right? So I converted to BRL which is the same, at the moment, as a x2.03. Doubled the price: R$348,10. It would cost me that without taxes, but I looked for the same card but found only the EVGA one, which is cheaper. Here it costs R$760,90. If I pay cash, goes down to R$646,76, which is almost as double as much as you would pay there. And that's why my budget doesn't afford me to go for a better one.

Anyways, is there a brand I should avoid? There's Gigabyte, EVGA and Zogis to choose from.

Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:23:50 AM

Hmm, if your case has limited cooling I would say the EVGA card because the blower design will help with cases with limited airflow however if you do have airflow within your case then the gigabyte card if it is non reference. Meaning the cards with 2 fans on top rather then the fan at the end and a shroud over the top of the card.
Score
0
January 18, 2013 9:40:52 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Hmm, if your case has limited cooling I would say the EVGA card because the blower design will help with cases with limited airflow however if you do have airflow within your case then the gigabyte card if it is non reference. Meaning the cards with 2 fans on top rather then the fan at the end and a shroud over the top of the card.


My three options would be these:
http://www.kabum.com.br/produto/33075/vga-evga-geforce-...
http://www.kabum.com.br/produto/34166/vga-evga-geforce-...
http://www.kabum.com.br/produto/33790/vga-gigabyte-gefo...

--

My case has a 12cm cooler on the front, which sucks the air in and another one, smaller in the back which pushes out. There's also that tunnel at the side for the processor cooler. Also, there are several small holes at the side.
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 9:55:25 AM

Hmm well I would personally look at the gigabyte card the cooling situation is probably far superior. I really like how quiet and cool my gtx670 card runs with gigabytes windforce cooler so I would say go with that. Although if you are buying from Brazil then EVGA could be a good card to go with if you ever ended up with a issue or problem. EVGA has been the better company to deal with on that end so I'll leave that up to you. All cards are quite solid that you have there Gigabyte is probably the better performer where EVGA is the better insured.
Score
0
January 18, 2013 10:42:08 AM

Very well, then! Thanks for all the help everyone! Think I'll go with the 650Ti after all. Unless there's a sudden price drop, then I'll head for the 660.

bigshootr8: thanks for the clarifying on some subjects i.e cooling and such. You were very helpful!
Score
0
a c 133 U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 10:43:50 AM

Not a problem its always nice to know the in and outs of what you are buying :)  Hope the card is still sufficient for you prices over there are crazy! robbery. It's as if if you visited america you would come back with a computer that rich people dream about there :p 
Score
0
January 18, 2013 10:48:16 AM

Best answer selected by lorgot.
Score
0
January 18, 2013 10:54:51 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Not a problem its always nice to know the in and outs of what you are buying :)  Hope the card is still sufficient for you prices over there are crazy! robbery. It's as if if you visited america you would come back with a computer that rich people dream about there :p 


I know! Once I made a rig with parts in north american websites and I realized that I could either buy a computer here, with that money, or a car. It's quite ridiculous.
Score
0
January 18, 2013 10:58:26 AM

bigshootr8 said:
Not a problem its always nice to know the in and outs of what you are buying :)  Hope the card is still sufficient for you prices over there are crazy! robbery. It's as if if you visited america you would come back with a computer that rich people dream about there :p 


I know! Once I made a rig with parts in north american websites and I realized that I could either buy a computer here, with that money, or a car. It's quite ridiculous.
Score
0
!