New gaming rig [Advice/Help]

Bandzai

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi, I've got four year old Alienware laptop, and it's time for upgrade. I need advice if I didn't miss anything, and if I did some unreasonable decisions.

Approximate Purchase Date: as soon as I've made up my mind on the parts. Not later than in 2 weeks.

Budget Range: ~1500Eur (at least that's what this rig adds up to).

System Usage: mainly gaming (Arma 2, Arma 3, WOT, Planet Side 2, CIV5 maybe Battlefield 3 etc.) maybe some screen recording and video editing.

Are you buying a monitor: Not at this moment. I've already got Dell U2312HM, but considering buying 27" 120Hz Yamakasi Catleap in near future (different budget).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Skytec.lt or 1a.lt

Overclocking: Yes, as much as hardware will allow.

SLI or Crossfire: SLI

Your Monitor Resolution:[/n] Currently 1920x1080. Catleap would be 2560x1440.

Additional Comments: No need for bling, would prefer as quite as possible.

That's what I've researched and picked so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($239.99 @ Newegg) (already have this in current laptop, will keep it for the build. Will buy HDD later if my old ones won't be enough).
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($18.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1710.90

Stuff bothering me:
1. Is this cooler enough, or do I really nead Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair H100i?
2. I've chosen this RAM to match mobo and not to be extra tall, but otherwise I have no clue what would be more appropriate. I want 8GB sticks (kind of future proof).
3. PSU seems to be old model. Should I be bothered, or 80+Gold is all I need to know. I'm a bit disappointed that it is single rail. Not very safe. Is it of appropriate size, or should I choose 750W instead? If I decide to go with single gfx card, I'd like to have an option to add another in the future without upgrading PSU.
4. Gfx - I want Nvidia, as Arma and Planet Side uses PhysiX. Would two of GV-N670OC-4GD fit on the motherboard? Would I need 4GB of VRAM for 2560x1440?
5. Would everything fit into the case?

Thank you in advance!

chulex67

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
1.- its enough to get a nice 4.3ghz overclock, i have heard really bad things about the H100i(leaks), the noctua its a great choice too.

2.- Yeah If you Are going to get the Coolermaster its good to have low profile sticks they always come handy.

3.- *** No, Old School Corsair Psus are the best, new ones have a lot of law restrictions and stuff like that, Old school corsair is a winner.

4.- yeah that motherboard have the space and the support for the Sli.

5.- YEP, http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1435/dsc0342g.jpg

zeyads3

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
very awesome, but don't get a SSD storage in first, get your self a HDD 1TB and 120 SSD, this would be better... very good unlocked cpu, i love this graphics card, if you only play games 8 ram is good, but if you render stuff, get 16, i like ASUS motherboards but gigabyte is also awesome, good luck btw :D

g-unit1111

Titan
Stuff bothering me:
1. Is this cooler enough, or do I really nead Noctua NH-D14 or Corsair H100i?
2. I've chosen this RAM to match mobo and not to be extra tall, but otherwise I have no clue what would be more appropriate. I want 8GB sticks (kind of future proof).
3. PSU seems to be old model. Should I be bothered, or 80+Gold is all I need to know. I'm a bit disappointed that it is single rail. Not very safe. Is it of appropriate size, or should I choose 750W instead? If I decide to go with single gfx card, I'd like to have an option to add another in the future without upgrading PSU.
4. Gfx - I want Nvidia, as Arma and Planet Side uses PhysiX. Would two of GV-N670OC-4GD fit on the motherboard? Would I need 4GB of VRAM for 2560x1440?
5. Would everything fit into the case?

1. Yes - you don't really need a D14 or H100. The 212 Evo will provide a mild sufficient overclock that will be more than enough for most games.

2. When planning for a rig, do not plan for the future. Plan for now. If you're going to buy now, buy now with the intent of evolving a build as you go - that's the only real way to ensure a system's longevity. If you're going to wait, keep waiting.

3. That doesn't really matter. What you need to take into account when purchasing a PSU is the quality of the OEM behind the unit and how the components rate. If you search sites like Jonnyguru and Hardware Secrets they are the PSU experts.

4. Depends on how many monitors you plan on running.

5. Yes, the Define R4 is a solid choice. What site are you buying from? That will help to suggest parts, if you don't know one check the link in my signature.

Bandzai

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Thanks for the comments. Is there any space left for a PCI card (in case I'd decide to get sound card in the future?), or tough luck?

Thx

Bandzai

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Well, I've already bought the SSD for my laptop, so I'm gonna keep it. It's going to be my system drive. I have some extarnal HDDs kind of not used on the shelf, so they will be for storage for now.

Bandzai

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Thanks for the answer. As I wrote in original post, I'm planning to buy from www.skytec.lt, or www.1a.lt (local shops just for the warranty sake). I've chekced your link. It seems Lithuania is not on the list.

I'll check out the suggested PSU expet sites. Thx!

Bandzai

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

I would gladly do so, if I found such feature. :) Where do I have to click?