Sign in with
Your question

Just to clear up something about current graphics cards.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 16, 2013 8:09:48 PM

On my old build, i had a nvidia geforce 8400gs (lol), it was pants, but it did the job running two analogue monitors.

Got my new build recently, and i knew i would have to get a converter to be able to use my two analogue monitors on a graphics card which only has 1 analogue output, the rest are digital. I have the EVGA GTX 660 SC, and it has 1 hdmi port, 1 displayport, 1 dvi-d and 1 dvi-i. Obviously i'm using the dvi-i at the moment with the adapter provided with my graphics card.

My friend said that it is impossible, with current graphics cards, to get multiple analogue displays, to get more than one monitor on my 660, he said i'd have to get digital ones.

Is this actually true or not? I am looking into getting two 22inch dvi-d monitors and i don't really wanna break the bank if i don't have to.

Thanks in advance :) 
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 16, 2013 9:05:53 PM

An active DisplayPort (DP) to VGA adapter would work for the 2nd VGA monitor on your card. Such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Cirago-DisplayPort-Active-Adapter...

There are much less expensive passive DP -> VGA adapters but I'm honestly not sure whether they would work for your card - maybe someone else knows for sure. But here's an example of a passive one super cheap: http://www.amazon.com/BestDealUSA-Displayport-Female-Ad...
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 16, 2013 9:16:45 PM

Your friend is wrong. You can use an Active DP to VGA adapter.
Heres the list of AMD approved DP to VGA adapter:
Accell B101B-003B
Accell B101B-003B-2
Bizlink KS10031-131

Heres the list of approved micro DP to VGA adapters (you card may have come with an mDP to DP adapter)
Accell B101B-002B
Bizlink KS30031-A31
Startech MDP2VGA
Wieson G9858C219-004

If you're really looking to get a new monitor then Newegg has the Dell St2220L for 120 which is a really good price for it. This sale ends tonight btw...
January 16, 2013 10:09:38 PM

Ok guys, thanks a lot for the feedback!
!