Sign in with
Your question

Does the brand of your power supply matter?

Last response: in Components
February 26, 2002 2:34:59 AM

I'm wondering if it matters getting a generic 400w PSU or a name brand. And if so, what are the best brands?

<i><font color=blue>If wishes were fishes we'd all cast nets.</font color=blue></i>
February 26, 2002 4:17:36 AM

Yes a name brand PSU is more reliable than generic. Enermax and PC Power and Cooling both make great PSU.
February 26, 2002 4:24:53 AM

Agree with upec.

:smile: <font color=blue>You get what you pay for....<b>a</b>ll advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:
Related resources
February 26, 2002 9:50:13 PM

Quote:
Does the brand of your power supply matter?

Imagine the word "Yes!" about 50 feet tall, in flashing red, a foot in front of you. There's your answer.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
Don't step in the sarcasm!
February 27, 2002 1:17:20 AM

Trust me, generic = bad. Unless you have a barebones system, a generic PSU will leave your computer unstable at best and even shorten the life of your components in some cases.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
February 27, 2002 4:26:16 AM

I will never understand why people put the best hardware in their systems and
skimp on the PSU.

Kind of like a Doctor saying they need a heart transplant and they ask for
the cheapest he can find.

:smile: <font color=blue>You get what you pay for....<b>a</b>ll advice here is free.</font color=blue> :smile:
February 28, 2002 5:22:51 PM

When I build a pc, I put extra money into cooling and other important areas. Now, why worry about spending a few extra dollars on a good power supply? The minimum that I'm using at this point is a 330w Enermax unit and I use the 365w as well. They are well worth the additional cost.
March 1, 2002 4:18:26 AM

Your smart! If I had a smart medal, I would award it to you. :smile:

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:
March 1, 2002 3:49:32 PM

heres a scenario for you, i had been having problems with my computer lately, some times when i try to access my dvd rom my computer reboots, some times i go to turn it on and nothing happens, fans come on but nothing else, as time went on, i could no longer boot into win xp or 98, it would get so far then reboot. i replaced the generic psu with an enermax (both were 300 watt) and now all those problems are gone.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
March 1, 2002 9:12:52 PM

Quote:
I will never understand why people put the best hardware in their systems and
skimp on the PSU.

Kind of like a Doctor saying they need a heart transplant and they ask for
the cheapest he can find. [/qoute]

Oldbear, I couldnt have put it any better myself. I hope you dont mind if I quote you on that, that enaligy is one that deserves to be re-used.

I dont know if I'd use for my Enermax whisper though. Having a good quality heart thats so quiet you cant hear it might cause some problems for the person getting it, ;) 
March 2, 2002 5:45:26 AM

Use it all you want. Maybe it will keep someone from making a big mistake.

:smile: <font color=blue><b>You get what you pay for...all advice here is free.</b></font color=blue> :smile:
!