Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What to Upgrade in my System

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 6, 2013 9:32:50 PM

Hi all, I've had my current system for almost 4 years now and I really want to upgrade it, but I am not entirely sure what. I have about $1000 to on upgrades but I am stuck on what to change.

My current system is:

i7 920
gtx 480
27" ASUS 1920 x 1200 monitor
6gb of ram
850 corsair PSU
500gb 7200rpm hdd
gigabyte x58 ud3r
antec 1200

I was thinking of buying a nicer monitor (like a 2560 x 1440 one), but I figured that I would probably also need a new video card.
I was also thinking of getting an SSD as well, but wasn't sure if it would be worth it on my older motherboard.

Any ideas would be much appreciated thanks!

More about : upgrade system

March 6, 2013 9:54:08 PM

Your system already looks pretty good. Do you find it performing poorly in a certain area, or do you just feel like spending some money? If you were to upgrade anything, I would stick in a second gtx 480, and get a second monitor.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 9:58:51 PM

wait for haswell to drop, then swap your mb/cpu/ram. with 1k you can do a SSD as well.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 6, 2013 10:08:04 PM

Chairman Ray said:
Your system already looks pretty good. Do you find it performing poorly in a certain area, or do you just feel like spending some money? If you were to upgrade anything, I would stick in a second gtx 480, and get a second monitor.


Well some games can't be played at the max settings, but overall the system is still pretty solid even by today's standards. I would buy a second gtx 480, but I put an after market cooler on my card it takes 3 slots so I have no space to place another card.
m
0
l
March 6, 2013 10:09:04 PM

daswilhelm said:
wait for haswell to drop, then swap your mb/cpu/ram. with 1k you can do a SSD as well.


I could always do a new build when haswell comes out, thats why I was thinking of upgrading my monitor.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 10:14:31 PM

sli-ing won't give you better cost effective performance. I'd get a gtx670. the architecture has changed in the cards and games demand more.

an ssd will make things snappier. get one big enough for your needs now and in the future. reformat and you're set.

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 6, 2013 10:22:01 PM

impaledmango said:
I could always do a new build when haswell comes out, thats why I was thinking of upgrading my monitor.


monitor is a good idea
m
0
l
March 6, 2013 10:26:44 PM

if you are one of the people who love great performance on games, then upgrade your graphics card to a better and new one, your ram is great, 8 is very high, but i'm wondering what is the GHz and which DDR of the ram?... your cpu is great.
in the end, if you upgrade, it's gonna be better :D 
m
0
l
!