Your question

$2,500 budget and no clue. Help build my PC please

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 6, 2013 10:00:02 PM

Hello, i was recently given a 5,000 (split to fall $2500 and spring $2500) dollar scholarship that i do not need. It is for "school purposes" only. I asked the committee if i can undergo a PC building project and they said that would be great. The scholarship program is for high school seniors that will be majoring in computer science. The problem is i do not know much about computers but chose that major because they interest me. I only know bare bones (if that) about computers such as GPU,RAM,Motherboards, CPU, Processors and what those devices are generally used for in computers. I'm asking you guys to help guide me through this experience because i really do feel i can learn alot from it and meet some of you who are pros on pc building.

Approximate Purchase Date: Starting project august 2013.

Budget Range: Preferably no more then 2,500 but up too 3,000 (funds disbursed in two payments 6 moths apart)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Visuals and modeling, gaming, school work

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade:

Do you need to buy OS: confused? Isnt it needed to run the computer?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Websites that are trusted and offer good service

Parts Preferences: What works best.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Dont know what this is

Your Monitor Resolution: Going to buy one. Please recommend

Additional Comments: Warn me about any things that are not compatible and common problems. If there's new better parts coming out in the next few months that i should wait for warn me.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am building in order to learn and for the experience. Plus i have to show my built computer once i start purchasing parts to the committee.

Thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated. And if you can make it simple enough where you just list all the parts cases,hardware, monitor, software and list the price that would be awesome. A link to the best builds with the list of parts would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks

More about : 500 budget clue build

March 6, 2013 10:42:33 PM

Quote:
Do you need to buy OS: confused? Isnt it needed to run the computer?

When you build your own the OS doesn't come with it and you will need to provide a disc for it.

Here's what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($569.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($227.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($369.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($143.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($21.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2449.35
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-06 19:41 EST-0500)

And then you can add a nice 2560 x 1440p display like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tempered-Glass-27-Yamakasi-...
m
l
March 6, 2013 11:03:36 PM

unit8000 said:

Approximate Purchase Date: Starting project august 2013.

Hi, there's no point in recommending anything now, since by then you'll have new cpus to choose from, the intel haswell cpus and the new motherboards for it, and more stuff coming, the parts that we might suggest now by then might be discontinued or more expensive than other parts by then.
Here's some recent new of the motherboards that will come :
http://www.techpowerup.com/181045/Trio-of-GIGABYTE-Z87-...
http://www.techpowerup.com/181026/First-ASRock-Socket-L...
New coolers :
http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/cooler_master_shows_tp...

More stuff will be shown :) 
m
l
March 8, 2013 2:16:38 AM

If your purchase date is Aug 2013 come back later as the industry changes very rapidly
m
l
!