Can anyone confirm this is coil whine please?

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
"Cant edit post"

But basicly i remember being told somewhere that the sound im hearing is a possible coil whine "or rattle of coils".

It only happens on high FPs games, and even more since my CPU got upgraded, it seems to be alot louder and more frequent now. Almost like the old CPU bottlenecked something.

Should it be of concern?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It really does sound like a fan issue, more than classic coil whine. I have listened to your linked recording several times now and it is hard to tell with the fan noise to rule out coil whine.

Is this fan you referred to a case fan or the fan on your video card?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Think of what happens when a ceiling fan is out of balance. At slow speeds it may wobble a bit, but it doesn't really affect its performance. At high speeds, it bounces all over the place and may actually damage something with all of the movement.

Open the case (powered down). Put your finger on the GPU fan to keep it from spinning. Power the system on. Any whine? Then release the fan and allow it to spin. Does the noise start again?

I had a Zalman CPU cooler a couple years ago that had a similar problem.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your GPU fan will spin up/down automatically to adjust for the heat it is producing. Gaming will require greater processing and will generate more heat, thus the fan will spin faster. When you stop gaming, the GPU processing requirements will lower and so will the fan speed. Really not a matter of affecting performance in this regard as long as the GPU stays at a safe temperature.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
I think it might be ok, it can get relatively loud even over headphones. But i can live with it, I haven't got any case coolers yet but that's next in for me. I was just a wee bit concerned because it only gets as loud as it does since I put a new CPU in. It did it before but not so much it's like the old CPU bottlenecked the gpu and the new one has released that and now the gpu is doing more without getting so hot. But I'm not too sure, for all I know it maybe the psu but I can't get in the case right now to check.