Single HD 7850 not powerfull enough

letrude

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello guys, I hope you all together could help me allot :)

Okey, so there is my last topic - http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/380518-13-graphic-card

Its very painfull that I need to change my graphics card so early after buying last one just few days ago ... but what can you do , I was dumb buying it ... i should check out more before buying it ...

I just want to run game like NFS: World (2012) at least without lags in lowest settings for now ...

So I im limited with my finances , but I can try to afford and im looking at this video card - Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD7950 3GB

Would it do it for me, is it worth it ?
And also later, buying another one card like that and putting them in crossfire would be enough to run games, in middle settings, whats are comming out in this year ?

And just one more question , can i over clock my graphics card safely using stock fans ? If yes, can some one assist me how to do it ?

TY for reading pals , and ty in advance !

i cant see why you had poor performance with your 7850? there is no reason why it should not get good fps in gtaIV. I got good fps with a single 6850 which is slower than your 7850. You should look into motherboard problem, Driver issues, OS installation or game installation issue. I think you might just be wasting your money to upgrade a perfectly good GPU, and might still end up with the same issue. There is no reason the 7850 shouldn't perform well in those titles.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I have a 6870 and I get probably twice the framerates you posted you are getting, there has to be another issue.. you should be getting the same if not a little better with the 7850.

Are you using the latest driver? (12.10 or 12.11 BETA). The Beta driver should actually increase your frames if you are on an older driver, except with my card I noticed there were some issues with certain games crashing while using it.

letrude

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Damnn guys how are you getting so good fps :O

GPU driver version : 2012.1202.303.5362 :) I guess its last one available ...

My all drivers should be up to date , but maybe not only M/B drivers, can they be making those problems ?

maybe your card is plugged into the wrong slot in your motherboard, or needs to be re-seated in the slot. Motherboard drivers no, but motherboard BIOS update would be a good idea. motherboard drivers rarely need updating, if ever, but it cant hurt to check for updated ones. Oh, and i just thought of something, did you install any LUCID MVP, or any other lucid software that came on your motherboard disk? If so, uninstall that crap ASAP and enjoy your gaming. It can cause huge frame rate problems.

letrude

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Maybe, I dont know, I plugged into first slot , witch one is more near to CPU ...
Okey will try BIOS update and let you know ...
Yes im using MVP, i thought its running better with it :O ... okey will try from now one turn if off ...

TY very much , you're very helpfull :)

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

What's your screen's resolution? The only obvious explanation that pops to mind is that you're trying to run a 7850 at an ultra-high resolution. Frame rates at different resolutions are not directly comparable, but yeah, my gut reaction is that your FPS is way too low for those games with the hardware you describe.

It's also possible that you're encountering a heat issue: if your card overheats, it will throttle itself. I doubt that's the problem, because you're running at stock speeds and the 7850 is extremely power and heat-efficient by design -- but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask. Have you tried monitoring your temperatures? If not, try HWMonitor.

And yeah, you should do your best to ensure that all of your chipset (motherboard) and graphics' drivers are up-to-date. Here's a link to the download page for your ASRock z77 pro 4: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?cat=Download&Model=Z77%20Pro4

Oh, and I guess it's also possible (though perhaps extremely unlikely) that your games are erroneously using your i7's integrated graphics. Do you have the Intel graphics enabled? Are you using the VirtuMVP that came with your motherboard? Personally, I use my 7850 to drive my primary monitor (and all graphics' intensive tasks), and my integrated graphics to drive my secondary monitor -- but on very very rare occasions, Steam will get confused about which to use in games.

(And like iam2thecrowe, I disable VirtuMVP. Seriously, it's not worth the hassle.)

Those are the only explanations I can think of, all of them long shots. I hope you can resolve your issues, because the 7850 is a perfectly good video card; it should be capable of running most currently available games very well at 1080p or lower. The rest of your system is on the higher end of the spectrum, so it might not be a terrible idea in principle to upgrade your mid-range video card for the future -- but you should be getting better performance out of the 7850 than you're reporting.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, that was a good suggestion by iam2thecrowe! The first slot beneath the CPU should be the correct one, though. In the picture below, it's the slot labeled with, "PCI Express 3.0."

Z77%20Pro4%28m%29.jpg

(Obviously, the picture shows the motherboard turned on its side, relative to the orientation you'd see in a standard ATX case.)

goldsauce

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I am running a single 7850 and let me say I have not come across any game where I could not play at High and I could play most games at Ultra with some exceptions.

letrude

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Screen resolution: 1920:1080 ... 27 inch screen

Screen shot of that prog. ... thats not running any game at the moment

About drivers, yea I know, but even since i got my PC, the downloads on ASRock web site is not working, so I used my CD what they gave me buying M/B ... will do it as soon as downloads will work again

I don't know, but i think i m running with my HD 7850 into games, because in GTA IV it showed me 2gb memory of GPU ...

Big thanks pal for those options, i really appreciate it !

letrude

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

I guess im using the right slot ... :)

But ty pal !

Lucid Virtu decreases GPU performance AFAIK
AMD zero core already saves tons of power so I disabled Luid in my baord.
I play 1080p in a 21.5" screen [higher pixel density :)]
I prertty much have all my games turend to either medium/high (since I accpet nothing but 60fps 100% of the time). High/ultra is definitely possible at 45+fps 100% of the time.
Check tha the card is running PCIE3 mode and not 2.0 mode (though 2.0 is eough for 7850).
What CPU are you susing since that that will inflcunce you fps.

just uninstal all lucid virtu or mvp software, it will cause problems, not disable it, uninstall it.