Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

2nd 7970 or 3 monitors first?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 17, 2013 12:45:02 AM

Ok, so I been working on a build and just purchased my new graphics card for Christmas.

Stats:
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
MSI GD-65 z77 Mobo
2x8gb G.Skill Ares Ram
Gigabyte 7970 OC'd Edition 3gb Vram
Corsair H100
Thermaltake 850w Black Widow
128gb SSD
500gb HDD



So my question is, I been set on crossfire 7970's which I will do for sure, but I also will be investing in 3 monitor displays, preferably 24" displays.

The money I have can yield me either or right now, which is the first route to go?


I game mostly FFXIV, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, and a large list of classic from N64 up to Wii on emulator setups.

Obviously the only demanding part on emulators is the Wii and Ps2.

More about : 2nd 7970 monitors

January 17, 2013 1:09:34 AM

blank316 said:
Ok, so I been working on a build and just purchased my new graphics card for Christmas.

Stats:
Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
MSI GD-65 z77 Mobo
2x8gb G.Skill Ares Ram
Gigabyte 7970 OC'd Edition 3gb Vram
Corsair H100
Thermaltake 850w Black Widow
128gb SSD
500gb HDD



So my question is, I been set on crossfire 7970's which I will do for sure, but I also will be investing in 3 monitor displays, preferably 24" displays.

The money I have can yield me either or right now, which is the first route to go?


I game mostly FFXIV, Guild Wars 2, Skyrim, and a large list of classic from N64 up to Wii on emulator setups.

Obviously the only demanding part on emulators is the Wii and Ps2.


Well let me help you out there since I have both.

Now, let me ask you first are the 3 monitors you intend to purchase going to be 3d or 120hz monitors?

The only reason I ask is due to the 3d on 3 screens requiring at least 3 displayport outputs on a card.

If you are not doing that then do not worry.

I'd still go with the 3 monitors first since the games you mentioned aren't necessarily too demanding compared to other games, don't get me wrong though it's due to the fact that the 7970 is a powerful card. If you had something like a 7750 I'd say they are pretty demanding for you then on 3 screens.

I feel that the result of 3 screens is much more enjoyable now since you can as always tone down the settings in whatever you like and still play on 3 screens no-matter the game with that card.

Also, I really doubt you'd need the second card with those games. I've played Guild Wars 2 and I'd say you could max everything even with eyefinity and play fine. Now, if you go into say Crysis 2 you would not want to expect the same result.

If you need any further help let me know, but have fun gaming on 3 screens! I will always go out on a limb to play on the 3 screens of mine whenever I can.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 1:37:17 AM

Warsaw said:
Well let me help you out there since I have both.

Now, let me ask you first are the 3 monitors you intend to purchase going to be 3d or 120hz monitors?

The only reason I ask is due to the 3d on 3 screens requiring at least 3 displayport outputs on a card.

If you are not doing that then do not worry.

I'd still go with the 3 monitors first since the games you mentioned aren't necessarily too demanding compared to other games, don't get me wrong though it's due to the fact that the 7970 is a powerful card. If you had something like a 7750 I'd say they are pretty demanding for you then on 3 screens.

I feel that the result of 3 screens is much more enjoyable now since you can as always tone down the settings in whatever you like and still play on 3 screens no-matter the game with that card.

Also, I really doubt you'd need the second card with those games. I've played Guild Wars 2 and I'd say you could max everything even with eyefinity and play fine. Now, if you go into say Crysis 2 you would not want to expect the same result.

If you need any further help let me know, but have fun gaming on 3 screens! I will always go out on a limb to play on the 3 screens of mine whenever I can.





No it will not be 3d monitors, the refresh rate will most likely be a regular 60hz refresh unless more then that should be something I need to look into.

FFXIV 2.0 is releasing soon, and I really dont know when I can afford my second card again if I go with the monitors. I just do not want to experience a loss in power even though I do realize how much power my card alone has.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 2:07:54 AM

blank316 said:
No it will not be 3d monitors, the refresh rate will most likely be a regular 60hz refresh unless more then that should be something I need to look into.

FFXIV 2.0 is releasing soon, and I really dont know when I can afford my second card again if I go with the monitors. I just do not want to experience a loss in power even though I do realize how much power my card alone has.

I have not played FFXIV (well, more correctly I played for exactly 1 minute before I got booted out of the beta and then could not log on again so I decided to not play). So I could not necessarily tell you one way or another on FFXIV 2.0, but I don't see it using that much power.

Look at it this way, if you go with two cards I can almost guarantee you will not use nearly that much power. If you go with three screens and the game is too demanding you can always use your 1 monitor.

Also, you really should look into 120hz, I only say so due to the fact I also use it. I swear that I will never go back to a 60hz panel, the smoothness is too worth it for me. Even if you just get 1 monitor due to funding, I'd almost say 120hz is better to have. It's hard to describe in words as well, but after using it you'll notice the difference (think back to CRT smoothness).
m
0
l
!