Sign in with
Your question

First PC Build - Budget: ~$1000

Last response: in Systems
March 7, 2013 12:31:02 AM

Hello,

I am wanting to build my first PC. I have been using laptop's up to this point, and so I am not sure exactly what to get. I want to keep the computer to around $1000, including the 13% tax.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next couple of weeks

Budget Range: Around $1000 CAD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, video playback

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, AMD GPU

Overclocking: No necessary

SLI or Crossfire: Not now

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

I have looked through and picked out some parts that seems to be suggested often. That setup can be seen here. I will be purchasing most parts locally if possible, others I will order.

This current build is within the budget, but I was wondering if anyone would suggest different parts. In particular, I am not sure the difference between some of the motherboards, and wondered if that one is a decent board.

Thanks in advance for any help,
albertfish

More about : build budget 1000

March 7, 2013 12:37:49 AM

Do you plan to overclock? You can't with the CPU you have.

Do you want a better cooler over the stock one? There are quieter and better coolers out there you may wish to consider.

Do you have an OS you can use?
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2013 12:44:25 AM

Don't get the Thermaltake CPU, it is a pretty poor quality one... Assuming you want to keep the option of crossfiring in the future, I'd get something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The motherboard you chose is fine but you can go cheaper with Asrock if you wanted to.

Edit: omaroma, we can't see that build you have to copy-paste permalink
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:45:47 AM

Hi, that psu isn't that good, the xfx is a quality psu, more important than the watts is the quality itself, the xfx 550 will be more than sufficient, included a ssd, better case, cheaper h77 motherboard, it's also a good one ;) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: MSI H77MA-G43 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Canada Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($116.72 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($26.05 @ DirectCanada)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($61.72 @ DirectCanada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.06 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $956.29
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:47:29 AM

I don't think that I will need to overclock my CPU. I choose that chip so it will save a bit of money. As for cooling, I may be getting a corsair H60 from a friend. As far a OSes, I have a copy of Windows 7 Professional 64bit to use.
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:49:05 AM

Buy from NCIX, you can do in storee pick up if you live close and they will pricematch anything they have in stock so you can order in one place
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:49:14 AM

I don't know your exact budget but this is less than the $1000 you listed.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/I2QW

If you aren't like 100% positive you are not going to overclock, you can buy the i5-3570 without being unlocked and use the intel heatsink and save around $50 more. If oyu like you could get the ssd or better graphics card though or psu.
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:54:20 AM

Your build is reasonable, but I would make some changes:

1. Thermaltake TR2 is a tier 5(not recommended, replace asap) unit on this list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
A 7950 needs only a 500w psu, so a 600w unit would be plenty.
Stick to known quality psu's like Seasonic. For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2. If you are spending $200 for a 3570, you might as well spend $220 for a 3570K. The extra 10% in cost stands to buy you 25% more cpu power.
You will need a Z77 based motherboard. Most any will do, pick your favorite brand. Look at M-ATX sizes too, they are usually cheaper.
Here is one for $90: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3. I will never again build a pc without using a SSD for at least the os and a few games.
120gb is sufficient. If you buy a 240gb unit, you may never even need a hard drive. At least, defer the hard drive until you need more room for storage.
Samsung or Intel would be my preferred brands. Ignore synthetic benchmarks; performance among all modern ssd's is remarkably similar.

4. Add a $30 tower type cooler like the cm hyper212. It will run quieter and cooler. It is easier for the novice to install; the Intel pushpins are tricky.

5. High ram heat spreaders are not necessary with 1.5v ram. They are bad because they can interfere with cpu coolers.
Here is one such kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

----------------- sorry, I see you are from Canada, I should have done newegg.ca links-------------------
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:55:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. I have heard about NCIX, I might end up ordering from there. I was a bit worried that the PSU would not be the best, so thanks for those suggestions.
As far as the ASRock motherboard, I don't think I need an mother board that advanced since I am not planning to overclock the CPU. I have read into that board a bit and it seems to be one of the more popular boards, but I think I can save some money by choosing a less feature filled board.
m
l
March 7, 2013 12:57:47 AM

Hi, so far i'd seen, ncix only offers the psu, hdd and gpu cheaper there, you might try to price match the rest if they got the parts ;) 
m
l
March 7, 2013 1:04:52 AM

properbuilds said:
Hi, so far i'd seen, ncix only offers the psu, hdd and gpu cheaper there, you might try to price match the rest if they got the parts ;) 

I have found most parts at Canada Computers, which has a store near my house.
m
l
March 7, 2013 1:07:56 AM

Hi, well for the list, direct canada and memory express has more cheaper parts.
m
l
March 7, 2013 1:09:45 AM

Alright awesome! Thanks for the responses everybody.
m
l
March 7, 2013 1:11:14 AM

Have fun with it, gotta love finding a fellow Canadian on this site eh :p  :) 
m
l
!