UDMA, ultra ata-100, wtf?

G

could someone please explain or point me in the direction of a straight forward definition of UDMA, ultra ata-100, and the difference between the two, what they do, etc?
i've tried reading the storagereview.com reference, but every paragraph leads me to a link of a definition that has links to definitions within the definition and it never ends...
I have a soyo dragon + mobo, which supports udma and ultra ata 100, and i just got an IBM 41 gig 60gxp HDD, and am not exactly sure what sort of cable i need/should use with it to get optimal performance.
thanks for helping out the layman!
-sh33p

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
To give you the answer to your last question, you are going to want an 80 wire 40 pin Ultra cable. A shielded cable that will provide the best data integrity.

UDMA (Ultra-ATA)= An enhanced version of the IDE interface that transfers data at 33, 66, 100, 133 MB/per second. These enhancements are also called DMA, Ultra DMA, ATA33, ATA66, ATA100, ATA133, DMA33, DMA66, DMA100, and DMA133.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ATA is the protocol IDE drives use. DMA stands for Direct Memory Addressing and has been used for a few years on most hard drives and a couple years on most CD-ROMS. So UDMA100 and ATA100 are the same thing. OH, and EIDE, that's just part of the ATA protocol also.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
These are some old definitions.Some have changed slightly through the years.
IDE=Integrated Drive Electronics
EIDE=Enhanced Integrated Drive Electronics
RAID=Redundent Array of Inexpensive(Independent)Devices
DMA=Direct Memory Access(Adressing)
ISA =Industry Standard Architecture
.......Hope this is of some benefit....:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.