Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless router to switch to another wireless router?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 15, 2012 6:29:50 AM

I am just curious if this is possible, in our living room there lies our desktop with a modem which i believe is in bridged mode hooked up to a 4 port router that provides wireless connection as well but is sort of old and brand is from CD-R king,then from that router all the way to my bedroom is connected to a switch via a 25 meter Ethernet cable providing wired connection to my personal desktop and 1 laptop(wanted 100Mbps than 54.0Mbps plus less chance of getting intermittent connection to the laptop and we play LAN games with me on desktop and bro on laptop), and i was wondering, just CURIOUS , if i hook up a router to my switch will it also be possible to provide wireless connection to that as well?
February 15, 2012 11:38:52 PM

I've read it! thank you soooo much! So you mean to say that in order to get this up and running there is no need to change the settings of the main router? :D 

I have also read that the static ip you set for the access point router must not be between the main router's DHCP range and the main router's range is from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253, main router's ip address is 192.168.1.254 which is also the DNS server for all of the computers in our network in case there is a need in giving a static ip address for any device connected to the network, I can't use 192.168.1.255 given that it is the broadcast IIRC, so what address should I set my access point(2nd router) to?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

February 16, 2012 12:29:13 AM

just assign 192.168.1.253 to the second router since you main router will start handing out IP starting at 1 and you will have to have over 252 devices connected to you network before you run in to trouble
February 16, 2012 1:00:29 AM

That was what i was thinking seeing that we only have like 2 desktops,max of 4 laptops(one from my brother and the other from my sister but they are both away so what's left is mine and my dad's)and a PSP so we barely even touched the 192.168.1.8 -th mark, but I just had to make sure because I just read this: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics... (your first answer actually stimulated my eagerness to learn even better, researched some more which led me to that article)

And it said to make sure that the ip address you are assigning to your 2nd router must be outside the DHCP range your main router is giving, but all thanks to you and your confirmation that I can just use any ip address within the range just as long as it has a huge probability of being unused :na:  ,in my case, the range between 192.168.10 to 192.168.1.253 , is my understanding correct? :o 
m
l
!