Two Gameports with two Sidewinder is not working!!

Hi,

I tried to connect two MS Sidewinders into my computer at same time,
but I am having problems with Windows XP. I have two sound cards (one
onboard AC'97 and other Crystal Soundfusion), each one has one
gameport. One is connected to a Sidewinder Precision Pro and in the
other one a Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel. When I add one of them
thru [Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Add] it work fine, but when
I try connecting the second one, doesn't work. Doesn't matter which
I add first, only the first one works and never add the second one.
At the Game Controllers window I can choose which gameport I wanna use
to add, both always are available.
Anyone has Some clue if it is possible have both working at same time
and if is possible using both at same game?

Cheers,

Max

Nowadays wanting multipule controllers tends to demand USB devices. I'll
also add, don't expect many games to properly use all the attached devices
as you might expect. In fact, many problems arise when more than one is
attached at the same time. Makes USB hot-plugging more attractive and
gameport devices less so as they should not be "mucked with" with system
powered up. Said from person with 3 FF wheels, 2 dual-stick joysticks, PS2
controller (using adapter) all USB and 2 old 8 button joypads and even older
flight stick that use gameport.

I think you'll find the real problem is that both gameport's on the two
soundcards want to use to same IO range (memory seems to say 210...x). It
might be possible to setup one of the cards to use some alternate address,
check under it's Properties in device manager. I have no idea how/ if
Windows can use it. I do know it can use multipule sound cards (if that even
matters)so ...

"madmaax" <madmaax@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I tried to connect two MS Sidewinders into my computer at same time,
> but I am having problems with Windows XP. I have two sound cards (one
> onboard AC'97 and other Crystal Soundfusion), each one has one
> gameport. One is connected to a Sidewinder Precision Pro and in the
> other one a Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel. When I add one of them
> thru [Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Add] it work fine, but when
> I try connecting the second one, doesn't work. Doesn't matter which
> I add first, only the first one works and never add the second one.
> At the Game Controllers window I can choose which gameport I wanna use
> to add, both always are available.
> Anyone has Some clue if it is possible have both working at same time
> and if is possible using both at same game?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Max

The drivers for both these devices are probably going to want ID1. Since
they can't both have it only one or the other will work. Also, chances are
high that the Forces are not going to work as expected with 2 gameports in
the system.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Nowadays wanting multipule controllers tends to demand USB devices. I'll
> also add, don't expect many games to properly use all the attached devices
> as you might expect. In fact, many problems arise when more than one is
> attached at the same time. Makes USB hot-plugging more attractive and
> gameport devices less so as they should not be "mucked with" with system
> powered up. Said from person with 3 FF wheels, 2 dual-stick joysticks, PS2
> controller (using adapter) all USB and 2 old 8 button joypads and even
> older flight stick that use gameport.
>
> I think you'll find the real problem is that both gameport's on the two
> soundcards want to use to same IO range (memory seems to say 210...x). It
> might be possible to setup one of the cards to use some alternate address,
> check under it's Properties in device manager. I have no idea how/ if
> Windows can use it. I do know it can use multipule sound cards (if that
> even matters)so ...
>
> "madmaax" <madmaax@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to connect two MS Sidewinders into my computer at same time,
>> but I am having problems with Windows XP. I have two sound cards (one
>> onboard AC'97 and other Crystal Soundfusion), each one has one
>> gameport. One is connected to a Sidewinder Precision Pro and in the
>> other one a Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel. When I add one of them
>> thru [Control Panel -> Game Controllers -> Add] it work fine, but when
>> I try connecting the second one, doesn't work. Doesn't matter which
>> I add first, only the first one works and never add the second one.
>> At the Game Controllers window I can choose which gameport I wanna use
>> to add, both always are available.
>> Anyone has Some clue if it is possible have both working at same time
>> and if is possible using both at same game?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Max

Thanks guys,

Pjp, there is no IO conflict, (one gameport is using 0200 and the
other 0208) and they work fine even without restart machine. Look's
something related with the driver as Joshua said.

But, as I already owned both devices, there is a way to change de ID
for one of them and make both work? Even if Forces are not going to
work!

Max

Search for Joyids on Google. I wrote it so I know it'll allow assigning
id#'s to separate joysticks, allowing changing, loading presets etc. It
seemed to deal ok with two old 2 button gamepads on one gameport using a
splitter cable but that was under 98SE and not using two separate ports.

> Thanks guys,
>
> Pjp, there is no IO conflict, (one gameport is using 0200 and the
> other 0208) and they work fine even without restart machine. Look's
> something related with the driver as Joshua said.
>
> But, as I already owned both devices, there is a way to change de ID
> for one of them and make both work? Even if Forces are not going to
> work!
>
> Max

Unfortunatly probably not. The driver itself actually makes a check to see
if it is on ID1 and if it isn't it attempts to move itself. The forces issue
is that if there are 2 gameports sometimes the force data goes down the
wrong MIDI port and ends up at the wrong gameport.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

"madmaax" <madmaax@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks guys,
>
> Pjp, there is no IO conflict, (one gameport is using 0200 and the
> other 0208) and they work fine even without restart machine. Look's
> something related with the driver as Joshua said.
>
> But, as I already owned both devices, there is a way to change de ID
> for one of them and make both work? Even if Forces are not going to
> work!
>
> Max

XP has stopped supporting gameport devices. All we have are the default
drivers and not direct support.

"madmaax" <madmaax@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks guys,
>
> Pjp, there is no IO conflict, (one gameport is using 0200 and the
> other 0208) and they work fine even without restart machine. Look's
> something related with the driver as Joshua said.
>
> But, as I already owned both devices, there is a way to change de ID
> for one of them and make both work? Even if Forces are not going to
> work!
>
> Max

Windows XP still supports gameport devices. Many people use them just fine.
IHV's also have driver packages that install for Windows XP just fine.
Gameport support was removed for 64bit OS's and the upcoming Windows Vista.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----