CD labels

Last response: in Home Audio
May 23, 2004 9:14:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough to
hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels and
have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with an all
white front like some of the cheaper ones.

thanks,

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"

More about : labels

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 2:27:44 AM

Ken Bouchard <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:
>anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough to
>hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels and
>have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with an all
>white front like some of the cheaper ones.

Taiyo Yudens and Mitsuis are both available with blank fronts.

Double labels seem like a bad idea to me. One of them is enough to screw
things up on cheaper players that have trouble with undersized motors.
--scott

May 24, 2004 3:20:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Buy blank top CDs or thermal white CDs are even better.This way you have no
brand name to show through.

Ken Bouchard <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough to
> hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels and
> have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with an
all
> white front like some of the cheaper ones.
>
> thanks,
>
> --
> 1st Class Restoration
> "Put your old music on CD"
> www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

May 24, 2004 3:33:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Yes, "unbranded" (nothing written on the cd) FujiFilm cd's are nowhere to be
found on the web. Even though I like Fuji, I'm going to try Mitsui silver
because like you said, they DO come "unbranded" and the quality looks good.

thanks,

--

> Ken Bouchard <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:
> >anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough to
> >hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels and
> >have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with an
all
> >white front like some of the cheaper ones.
>
> Taiyo Yudens and Mitsuis are both available with blank fronts.
>
> Double labels seem like a bad idea to me. One of them is enough to screw
> things up on cheaper players that have trouble with undersized motors.
> --scott

May 24, 2004 5:26:00 AM

kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:<c8rmj0$7s0$1@panix2.panix.com>...
> Ken Bouchard <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:
> >anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough to
> >hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels and
> >have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with an all
> >white front like some of the cheaper ones.
>
> Taiyo Yudens and Mitsuis are both available with blank fronts.
>
> Double labels seem like a bad idea to me. One of them is enough to screw
> things up on cheaper players that have trouble with undersized motors.
> --scott

One label is also enough to easily jam in car players, regardless of
player quality- typically get hung on the face on the way out from
being ejected. Hate 'em.
May 24, 2004 11:39:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Fuji CDs are made by Taiyo Yuden or at least they use to be.I think they
switched to another company recently.If you go with Taiyo Yuden or Mitsui
you will have no problems.

> Yes, "unbranded" (nothing written on the cd) FujiFilm cd's are nowhere to
be
> found on the web. Even though I like Fuji, I'm going to try Mitsui silver
> because like you said, they DO come "unbranded" and the quality looks
good.

> thanks,
>
> --
> 1st Class Restoration
> "Put your old music on CD"
> www.dvbaudiorestoration.com
>

> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> > Ken Bouchard <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > >anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough
> > >hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels
and
> > >have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with
an
> all
> > >white front like some of the cheaper ones.
> >
> > Taiyo Yudens and Mitsuis are both available with blank fronts.
> >
> > Double labels seem like a bad idea to me. One of them is enough to
screw
> > things up on cheaper players that have trouble with undersized motors.
> > --scott
> >
> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Anonymous
May 24, 2004 1:16:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

You might want to invest in a casio thermal CD printer instead. Paper
labels can wrinkle and may also damage the CD surface in addition to
other problems mentioned in this thread. The printers cost around $75
but the results look quite professional and the printing is durable.
The printer ribbons are fairly expensive (end cost is about the same
as paper labels) but the end results are worth the expense.

"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<s7OdnWD4mrryrSzdRVn-tw@adelphia.com>...
> anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough to
> hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels and
> have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with an all
> white front like some of the cheaper ones.
>
> thanks,
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 2:01:42 PM

ashley.powell@att.net (ap) wrote in message news:<de430161.0405240026.1c494d40@posting.google.com>...
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message news:<c8rmj0$7s0$1@panix2.panix.com>...
> > Ken Bouchard <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > >anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough to
> > >hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels and
> > >have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with an all
> > >white front like some of the cheaper ones.
> >
> > Taiyo Yudens and Mitsuis are both available with blank fronts.
> >
> > Double labels seem like a bad idea to me. One of them is enough to screw
> > things up on cheaper players that have trouble with undersized motors.
> > --scott
>
> One label is also enough to easily jam in car players, regardless of
> player quality- typically get hung on the face on the way out from
> being ejected. Hate 'em.
>>mrr <mrrgraphics@yahoo.com> wrote:

Try searching for cdr's on ebay. You can find some really great deals
on either plain silver faced blank, or white face labeled blank cdr's.
Neither of these should let anything come through the label.
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 5:30:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

ashley.powell@att.net (ap) wrote in
news:D e430161.0405240026.1c494d40@posting.google.com:

> One label is also enough to easily jam in car players,
> regardless of player quality- typically get hung on the
> face on the way out from being ejected. Hate 'em.

There are new CD burners which can write a label with the laser
itself. This looks to be the best solution.

May 26, 2004 11:45:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:

>anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough to
>hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels and
>have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with an all
>white front like some of the cheaper ones.

CD labels are usefull for short term labeling only. During a long term
storage the label my either absorb or emit water depending on the humidity
of the room where the CD is stored. This may cause the label to shrink or
expand and will in turn bend the CD. So the outer parts of a CD will no
longer be readable. There's no way to remove the label without completely
damaging the CD. This kind of problem will usually develop 4 years after
printing the label...

Norbert
May 27, 2004 8:02:21 AM

"ap" <ashley.powell@att.net> wrote in message
news:D e430161.0405240026.1c494d40@posting.google.com...
> kludge@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in message
> > Ken Bouchard <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > >anybody got a recommendation for blank CD labels that are thick enough
> > >hide the printing on the CD face. I'm currently using Memorex labels
and
> > >have to use two. I use Fuji Film CDR's and haven't yet found any with
an all
> > >white front like some of the cheaper ones.
> >
> > Taiyo Yudens and Mitsuis are both available with blank fronts.
> >
> > Double labels seem like a bad idea to me. One of them is enough to
screw
> > things up on cheaper players that have trouble with undersized motors.
> > --scott
>
> One label is also enough to easily jam in car players, regardless of
> player quality- typically get hung on the face on the way out from
> being ejected. Hate 'em.

There are inkjet printers which can print on the cd's. Some of them are
fairly cheap.
Personally, since my CDR's are now in the hundreds, I just use a pen, my
favorite being Copic .Too black.
http://copicmarker.com/home/cm1/smartlist/19/0
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 4:07:49 PM

Ken Bouchard wrote:
> Yes, "unbranded" (nothing written on the cd) FujiFilm cd's
> are nowhere to be found on the web. Even though I like Fuji,

Troy replied:
> Fuji CDs are made by Taiyo Yuden or at least they use to be.

http://www.rima.com <-- Taiyo Yuden 52X CD-R's, $0.28/ea

--Rick
Anonymous
May 31, 2004 1:51:20 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"carl" emitted :

>There are inkjet printers which can print on the cd's. Some of them are
>fairly cheap.

Epson R200.

--
S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t