Use laptop as main monitor for desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfg555

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
So I have a LCD Monitor but the problem is it is not widescreen. It displays at a 4:3 ratio. I have a Windows 7 Home Premium Laptop 1366x768 resolution and I want to use its monitor as my custom built desktop's monitor. I have a VGA cable. I have looked online and most of the result are hardware changes which I cannot do since I don't want to destroy my laptop, though I saw some posts about using remote desktop connection. I'm not familiar with remote desktop connection but can someone show me step by step on how to use my laptop's monitor for my desktop by using remote desktop connection?

Note: Both machines have remote desktop connection enabled
LAPTOP: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
DESKTOP: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Solution
Okay, seems like downloading the free edition of RealVNC has changed since last time I did it, but here goes:
1. Visit http://www.realvnc.com/
2. Click the red image with a shopping cart and "License VNC"
3. In the "Free" column, click the "Try" button.
4. Select "Free license only, without premium features", fill in your contact details and click continue
(I think it used to be possible to get RealVNC free edition without providing contact details, and I've already installed it on my own system, so I'm not doing it now. It should be fairly straightforward to get to downloading it. If you object to giving them your contact details, let me know, and I'll try to find some different VNC software for you; however, I'm less familiar with...
Win7 Home Premium only supports client mode of remote desktop connection. To do what you want, you need the desktop to be running a pro or better edition of Windows. Alternatively, you could use something else, like VNC, especially if you want to play fullscreen games. I think I can help with VNC.

dfg555

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2013
I don't know what VNC is but if you can help me I'd be so happy and grateful!

Okay, seems like downloading the free edition of RealVNC has changed since last time I did it, but here goes:
1. Visit http://www.realvnc.com/
2. Click the red image with a shopping cart and "License VNC"
3. In the "Free" column, click the "Try" button.
4. Select "Free license only, without premium features", fill in your contact details and click continue
(I think it used to be possible to get RealVNC free edition without providing contact details, and I've already installed it on my own system, so I'm not doing it now. It should be fairly straightforward to get to downloading it. If you object to giving them your contact details, let me know, and I'll try to find some different VNC software for you; however, I'm less familiar with others)
5. Install the software on both computers (you can use a usb memory stick to copy the installer between them) - on the desktop, make sure server mode is enabled in the install options; on the laptop, make sure client mode is enabled.

For what to do after installing, the RealVNC website already has steps:
http://www.realvnc.com/products/vnc/documentation/latest/guides/user/Chapter2.html
I might not be able to help you as much with that part as I thought, because the computer I normally connect to with VNC hasn't yet been transferred over to the new office my company moved to.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.