short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
August 23, 2004 10:24:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey

How many of each do you own?
How long have you owned each?
Do you skip commercials?
Do you share shows with others over broadband?
Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?
Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?
Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
amount of TV as before?

Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.

==
"Money will not make you happy, and happy will not make you money."
-- Groucho Marx
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 3:23:47 AM

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:24:16 -0700, Ablang wrote:

> How many of each do you own?

I own a single TiVo, so far. (More TiVos to come, I'm sure...)

> How long have you owned each?

11 months.

> Do you skip commercials?

Nigh-religiously. (IOW, "Yes")

> Do you share shows with others over broadband?

No.

> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

Yes, DVD.

> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

Yes, both.

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?

Overall, less.
Programs I _want_ to see? More. ;)

--
Lenroc
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Here in alt.video.ptv.replaytv,
Ablang <HilaryEverAfter08232004@ablang-duff.com> spake unto us, saying:

>short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
>How many of each do you own?

I own one (a ReplayTV 5040).

>How long have you owned each?

Roughly 14 months.

>Do you skip commercials?

Yes!!

>Do you share shows with others over broadband?

No.

>Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

No, but I plan to at some point.

>Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

Not yet. :-)

>Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
>amount of TV as before?

More. It's nice to have a bunch of stuff I *want* to watch on tap, and
I rarely miss important (to me) sporting events anymore.

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Ablang <HilaryEverAfter08232004@ablang-duff.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
>How many of each do you own?

Currently - 3 TiVos, 2 Series2 standalones and 1 Pioner 810H DVD-RW.
I also used to own a Philips Series1.

>How long have you owned each?

Hmm - I got one S2 when they first shipped, February 2002? I got the
S1 on eBay just after that. I replaced the S1 with the second S2 when
HMO MRV came out - late 2002 or early 2003? I forget. I got the 810H
around Xmas last year (2003).

>Do you skip commercials?

Yep.

>Do you share shows with others over broadband?

Nope. But I may when TiVo To Go is released.

>Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

Yes - hence owning the DVD burning TiVo.

>Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

One of the S2s and the S1, yes - larger drives.

>Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
>amount of TV as before?

Probably more shows, but in less time since I can skip 20 minutes of
an hour program. I used to turn the TV on in the background and just
try to find something non-annoying. Now I'll do it, but with stuff I
have some interest in but don't watch closely - like Iron Chef.

>Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.

What is this for anyway?

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:47:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> How many of each do you own?
2 Replay TV
> How long have you owned each?
Two years
> Do you skip commercials?
Absolutely
> Do you share shows with others over broadband?
No
> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?
Yes
> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?
Yes
> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?
Actually, less
> Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.
Greatest thing to happen to TV since color...

> ==
> "Money will not make you happy, and happy will not make you money."
> -- Groucho Marx
August 24, 2004 10:05:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?
3 Replay units - Panasonic Showstopper, Replay 3060, Replay 5504

> How long have you owned each?
Showstopper - 22 months; 3060 - 3-1/2 years; 5504 - 8 months

> Do you skip commercials?
Yes

> Do you share shows with others over broadband?
No

> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?
No - but may do so in the future

> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?
3060 is ready for an upgrade; no on the others

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?
Same amount (which is TOO MUCH!) -- but now on MY time (when it's convenient
for me)
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 12:13:51 PM

<HilaryEverAfter08232004@ablang-duff.com> wrote:

>short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
>How many of each do you own?

1 series 1

>How long have you owned each?

since about 10 minutes after it was released

>Do you skip commercials?

sometimes. and sometimes it's nice to refer to a useful commercial.
Like for a phone number

>Do you share shows with others over broadband?

Doesn't apply

>Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

no

>Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

yes

>Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
>amount of TV as before?

more

>Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.

I wouldn't want to go back to TV watching without TIVO. Other
companies DVRs are left wanting by the high standard set by TIVO.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:40:19 PM

Ablang wrote:

> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?
> How long have you owned each?
> Do you skip commercials?
> Do you share shows with others over broadband?
> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?
> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?
> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?
>
> Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.
>

> ==
> "Money will not make you happy, and happy will not make you money."
> -- Groucho Marx

1 Replay 5504 Two computers with DVarchive One is a laptop that
replaces a lot of video tape and VCR I used to haul into work with me
since I work a solo graveyard shift (So called cause it hastens your
trip to said location) I have saved one show to VCD and one to DVD just
to see if I could do it. I do save to DVD-RW as an augment of the HD on
the laptop (Burned as data in RTV format) The DVD-RW is used like a
video tape, (over and over again) It currently has about 400 Meg of
music files on it (Transferring back to the main computer which burns
CDs, course the burner I use here can burn CD's too)
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 6:24:04 PM

Ablang <HilaryEverAfter08232004@ablang-duff.com> writes:

>short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey

>How many of each do you own?

1 ( Tivo S1 )

>How long have you owned each?

4 years

>Do you skip commercials?

Yes

>Do you share shows with others over broadband?

No

>Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

Yes

>Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

Yes

>Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
>amount of TV as before?

About the same in terms of quantity of shows, but
definitely more watching of what I want to watch rather than just
what is on at the time.

>Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.

Thanks!

Charles

--
Charles R. Hunter
Director, Physics Computer Network

Lazarus Long <lazarus@removethiswi.rr.com> spake unto us, saying:

>I wouldn't want to go back to TV watching without TIVO. Other
>companies DVRs are left wanting by the high standard set by TIVO.

That all depends on the feature set you're interested in, of course.

While I really do like what I've seen on a friend's TIVO in terms of
its ability to show recording conflicts and such, my 5040's automatic
commercial skipping is something I couldn't live without, and I also
like the fact that my 5040 just dropped into my LAN out of the box.

Different strokes for different folks. :-)

--
-Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Eden Prairie, MN
Applications analyst/designer/developer (14 yrs) seeking employment.
See web site above for resume/CV and background.
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 12:53:06 AM

Ablang wrote:
> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?
4 5250
1 5525
2 3120
1 3080

> How long have you owned each?

2 mo to 3 yrs

> Do you skip commercials?

yes
> Do you share shows with others over broadband?

yes
> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?
yes
> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

all, but in Replay's case it could hardly be called a "hack"

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?

same
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 1:35:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:24:16 -0700, Ablang wrote:

> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?

1 Series 1 Tivo.

> How long have you owned each?

About 2 years.

> Do you skip commercials?

Of course.

> Do you share shows with others over broadband?

No.

> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

no.

> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

Rplaced original drive with larger drive.

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?

About the same, but in a shorter time.

August 25, 2004 1:35:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Anonymous
August 25, 2004 3:47:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

> That all depends on the feature set you're interested in, of course.
>
> While I really do like what I've seen on a friend's TIVO in terms of
> its ability to show recording conflicts and such,

And of course, DVArchive has a very elaborate conflict resolution
display. Nothing Tivo has or announced vaporware tops networked Replays
and DVArchive.
August 25, 2004 4:19:47 AM

* Ablang wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey

> How many of each do you own?

2 series 2 DTivo's

> How long have you owned each?

About a year.

> Do you skip commercials?

Most of them.

> Do you share shows with others over broadband?

Cant do it in their current state.

> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

Not yet but plans are in the works to do so.

> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

One has an additional 120 gig drive, the other is unhacked.

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?

More in less or about the same amount of time. Prior to Tivo I had to
make a choice which channel to watch, now I dont. I also dont watch
repeats now as there is always something else to watch.

--
David | AGM Favorites - http://tinyurl.com/loec
We'll cross that bridge when we come back to it later.

"Ablang" <HilaryEverAfter08232004@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?

One Panasonic Showstopper (ReplayTV)
Four ReplayTV 5000 series networked and with Internet access.

> How long have you owned each?

4, 3, 2, 1 years.

> Do you skip commercials?

Yes. Usually with Commercial Advance

> Do you share shows with others over broadband?

Yes, via poopli.com.

> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

Yes, a few dozen on DVD.

> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

Yes, all of them are upgraded with larger drives.

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?

About the same total time, but very different content and style. We never
watch live TV.

> Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.

Having ReplayTV units changes your life in pleasant relaxing ways. There is
never the concern to get home or miss some show. And there is always
something to watch.

> ==
> "Money will not make you happy, and happy will not make you money."
> -- Groucho Marx
August 25, 2004 7:56:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Ablang" <HilaryEverAfter08232004@ablang-duff.com> wrote in message
> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?

1 series 1 Tivo

> How long have you owned each?

almost four years

> Do you skip commercials?

yes, with the 30 second skip enabled

> Do you share shows with others over broadband?

No

> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

No

> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

No

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?

Less. I watch just as many tv shows, but spend a lot less time doing so.

> Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.

I let 5-10 minutes get buffered before watching "live" tv so that I can more
easily skip the commercials
I'd like to get a second Tivo (actually I'd like one for every cable channel
I watch)

KD
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 5:56:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <9s4li01kat5ge0e23uokcd1kvrj0n3rq2p@4ax.com>,
HilaryEverAfter08232004@ablang-duff.com says...
> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?
> How long have you owned each?
About a year
> Do you skip commercials?
Of course. I even did it years ago with commcial advance on my VCR,
> Do you share shows with others over broadband?
No.
> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?
No.
> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?
More. However, that might have to do with switching to DishNetwork, and
having so many movies to record and see.

> Add any questions or comments of your own if you can think of any.
I also have a DishNetwork DVR. The software on that unit is not as good
as on RTV.

--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey

Ablang wrote:
> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?
1 5160
1 5040 (with Western Digital 200 GB drive upgrade)
1 5532
> How long have you owned each?
2 years fir the 5160 and 5040 and just got the 5532
> Do you skip commercials?
what's a commercial?
> Do you share shows with others over broadband?
Haven't yet but if need be I would
> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?
Yes
> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?
Yes
> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?
More because I can record shows at all hours and therefore record the best
of the best and view them on my schedule. Always have quality programming
ready to watch.

--
Bill T.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 8:02:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:24:16 -0700, Ablang spoketh

>short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
>How many of each do you own?

>How long have you owned each?

About two years

>Do you skip commercials?

Of course!

>Do you share shows with others over broadband?

Yes, via poopli.com

>Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

Not yet.

>Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

No

>Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
>amount of TV as before?

Same

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
August 26, 2004 8:09:01 PM

Ablang wrote:

> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own?

> How long have you owned each?

3 years

> Do you skip commercials?

Always.

> Do you share shows with others over broadband?

No.

> Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?

Rarely although I do save them to my PC

> Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?

Yes, it's now a 120 hour unit

> Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
> amount of TV as before?

Probably about the same although I now get to watch much more of what I
want to see. Now that the Olympics are on I think I've found the
"kill-app" for RTV, there's just nothing like recording 60 hours of the
Olympics and skipping right to the events you want to see.

-Steve
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 11:18:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Ablang wrote:

How many of each do you own? How long have you owned each? Upgrade?

Sony 30 GB SA Tivo, March 2001. Added ethernet hardware and software, no disk.
Philips SA Tivo, August 2001. Added ethernet, TivoWeb, additional 80 GB disk.
Huges HD DirecTiVo, August 2004. No upgrade, no hacks.

Do you skip commercials? Always

Do you share shows with others over broadband? Only room to room.

Do you save any shows to CD or DVD? Yes

Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more? Yes.

-Joe
--
I love my TiVo - http://www.inwap.com/u/joe/tivo/
Anonymous

Ablang wrote:
> short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
> How many of each do you own? ** 1 Replay
> How long have you owned each? ** 1 year
> Do you skip commercials? ** Yes
> Do you share shows with others over broadband? ** I have not been able to
get that to work yet. I have to work on that.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 3:14:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.replaytv,alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:24:16 -0700, Ablang
<HilaryEverAfter08232004@ablang-duff.com> wrote:

>short ReplayTv and/or Tivo Survey
>
>How many of each do you own?
2 5040
2 upgraded 3000 series
>How long have you owned each?
the 3000's for three years (but we will give them to family)
the 5040 about 4/5 months
>Do you skip commercials?
automatically with CA
>Do you share shows with others over broadband?
Yes, it has saved my marriage a few times!
>Do you save any shows to CD or DVD?
Yes via DVArchive
>Have you upgraded or hacked your unit?
Yes, and will upgrade the 5040 the moment warranty expires
>Since owning a DVR, would you say you watch more, less, or the same
>amount of TV as before?
Less and much better

!