SB Live! Locks up Athlon system

G

I recently upgraded my system from an Abit BX6 with Celeron 300a running at 450 Mhz to Athlon 1900+ on an Asus KG7A motherboard. The SB Live! (no suffix to the name - not a value, platinum, 5.1, or anything) worked great running in the overclocked Celeron system. BUT...

With the Athlon system at 133 mhz FSB (all settings at default for the 1900+), with the music on for either Civ III or Empire Earth, the system locks up and I have to use the reset button to reboot. When I back the FSB down to 100 mhz the system runs fine. Device manager says "no conflicts" with the SB resources. Creative just closed my question to support about this without even bothering to say "drop dead."

So... any ideas about what's happening? Drivers and all that are up-to-date. Is the Live! just so old that the Athlon outruns it?

Thanks for any help!

Mark B.

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
Just a simple test, try moving the card down a few slots away from PCI slot #1, towad the end of the PCI bus.

First uninstall the drivers in add remove programs, then in device manager remove the audio. Shut down and now move the card. When windows restarts PNP will recognize the card and prompt to reinstall the drivers.

Do this and see if this makes a difference.

<b><font color=red>Cast your vote with your $,</b></font color=red> <b><font color=blue>shed your pride with your opinion.</b></font color=blue>

G

When I turn the music off in the games, the system doesn't freeze. So it must be related to the SB somehow....