GPU Draws too much power?

Generationz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013
Recently got a complete overhaul on my computer(due to old motherboard being defective) and now when I play games (World of Warcraft) my cpu locks up, and a low pitch buzzing noise comes from my speakers(VERY LOUD). I've looked around online, and spoken to some friends, and we've come to the conclusion it's my gpu not getting enough power, and that I would want to get a new psu. Now, I don't have the cash to afford one at this time, so my question is if there is away way I could lower, or lock the amount of power my video card draws? using CCC maybe?
Set up
Asus P6X58D-E motherboard
Intel Core i7 930 cpu
6gb Ram DDR3 (2gb)Tri-Channeled.
HIS Radeon HD 7850
and a 500w psu...not really sure on much else there.

Now, I'm not a super..smart tech guy, but I know a little here and there, so any help would be great. :)

nadim615

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
i7's just a power hog, period. Anyways, you can probably download some GPU overclocking software from AMD (I have an Nvidia card so I'm not sure what it would be for AMD), and just use that to underclock your card a bit, and that should draw less power.. For future, do your research before you upgrade :)

If it's your PSU, there's really nothing you can do in SOFTWARE. You simply need a new PSU.

If your graphics card weren't getting enough power you'd likely see screen issues or your PC would crash.

You may need to do further troubleshooting because there's no guarantee it's your PSU.

Troubleshooting:
1. try headphones or different speakers
2. disable onboard audio and use an addon sound card instead
3. Borrow a different PSU.
4. Verify no loose/grounded wires

*Your problem sounds more like a serious GROUNDING issue then anything else. Your PSU, motherboard, speakers or a loose wire could be causing this.

Generationz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013

CCC has a power control option for my gpu, but im not sure if its safe to just drop my gpu's power. I've never overclocked or underclocked ( Never had a reason to) so I don't know any other steps that may be in there to safely underclock my card. Unless....dropping to power IS safe...and IS the only step. then I'm just being silly.

Generationz

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2013

Thats what I started to do, First the game would only lock up while it was on max settings, but now I had the game lock up on me when I had the graphics down a bit.