Gaming rig first build advice

Rodian_1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hi all. My first time on a forum so i hope i give you all the right info.

I am looking to build my first gaming PC, thought id run my choice of components by all of you seasoned builders out there to see if i have it all right or if i made a total **** up.

After a couple of months research on various forums and sites this is what i have come up with:

Case: Fractal Design Define r4
Psu: Corsair builders series 600w v2
CPU: i5 3570k
Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro
Ram: Corsair vengance 8gb
Gpu: Gigabyte gtx 670
Hard drives: Western digital caviar black 1tb (media & music storage)
: Samsung 840 256GB ssd (os and games storage)
Screen: Acer g226hqlBbd (21.5 inch full hd back lit lcd)
Optical drive: asus drw-24b5stx24
Additional case fans: Fractal design silent series r2 x2
cpu cooler: 212 evo

I will be using the PC mainly for gaming, some Photoshop editing (nothing major), video streaming and downloading and general home pc stuff. I would also like to overclock the rig (once i have dome more research into how its done) to around 4.5ghz if possible/if its worth doing for gaming?

I would like to be able to play pretty much any game on maxed out settings or there about, would this setup do it?

I intend to set up the fans to have 2 at the front pulling air in, one at the back and one at the top to pull air out. is this a good setup?

Basicly any advice if im doing this right or not would be greatly appreciated. If i have missed out any info let me know.

Thanks in advance (sorry for the long winded questions)

Rodian_1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
If anyone can recommend a site to order parts from as well that would be great! thanks..........such a noob

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi Rodian_1!

That's a nice build, the only thing that I probably would want you to take longer look would be the OS you're choosing. IMO, Windows 7 is much better. I suggest taking a look at video reviews of how Windows 8 looks like.

Overclocking is definitely worth it, provided you have done your research thoroughly and you have chosen an efficient cpu cooler. The 212 Evo is a great choice, and another great alternative, albeit more a expensive one, would be the NH-D14.

If you're going to play at 1080p (which is the native resolution of your monitor), the GTX 670 should be able to max out most games out now on the market. The 5 ms response time of the monitor is adequate, though if you can find a monitor with 2 ms response time, it would be fantastic. However, this is not a big issue, since most people report no difference visually between a 5 ms and 2 ms response time.

Your fan configuration is great. If you can squeeze in a fan for the side, it would be great boost, as it would provide fresh air to your video card.

Enjoy your new rig!

//Edit: Where are you from? I couldn't post a site without knowing your place of residence.

barto

Expert
Ambassador

Go here (pcpartpicker.com) and put your parts in there. PCPartPicker will find the cheapest prices for your parts. Take note though, if the cheapest price is at MicroCenter, that deal may be a in-store discount only.

Rodian_1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for the reply's guys.

barto: As i should have said in the description im in the uk, is that site a uk one?

scragnoff: Thanks for the detailed reply. i did consider windows 7 but thought might as well go with 8 as its a new build. i have seen some vids on how the new layout looks. still something i will consider again. Is there much in the way of noticeable differences between 7 and 8?

I am from uk so if you do know of any sites apart from the one barto mentioned would be great.

I am trying to keep to a budget as much as possible so i would probably stick with the evo 212. I wont be going mad with the overclocking so hope the evo can keep my temps down enough.

I will add another fan to the side panel as you said, cant be a bad choice and the fans are cheap enough.

Will keep looking at monitors as well. If i can find a 2ms one for a good price i will go for it.

barto

Expert
Ambassador
Rodian_1 go to the top right on PCPartPicker and change the location to the UK. Done.

Also, like Arich5 said, you can't buy parts from PcPartPicker. It will just find parts/prices. You will have to purchase parts from the sites individually or in groups. More time but you'll save money.

scragnoff

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Barto suggested a great site, and you should try it. It can help you greatly in choosing the right store with the right price. Although, if taxes are an issue, you might have to register at the pcpartpicker site and manually change the tax rate.

Windows 7 over Windows 8 is really an aesthetic choice for me (as opposed to others). I just don't like how they "force" us rather than give us a choice. This rant is of course about the touch screen. Although some 3rd party applications have made it more manageable for a mouse and keyboard, I just feel slighted that they did not include that choice in the system.

That said, I'll probably eventually go over to the dark side, I mean, to using touch screen.

Glutting

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
I did my first build recently and overclocking was easy with my motherboard.. I have an i5 2500k and a Biostar tz77b motherboard, All I did was change the cpu core speed to 45 and the motherboard did the rest automatically for me. Check it out! http://i.imgur.com/qsovmVR.jpg . EDIT: Maybe perhaps you can use my cpu/mobo combo and use the money you saved for a higher end graphics card?

Rodian_1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks to all of you who replied. I have gone through PCpartpicker and ordered all my parts. Took a bit of time but made a saving so very happy!

I ended up going for windows 8 after many you tube videos and comparisons. Also went with a 2 ms screen as well.

Im looking forward to the build and oc'ing now! (will probably come back to tom's forum if i get stuck. lol)

Again thanks for all the help :D