Sign in with
Your question

HTPC - Graphics card for old machine

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 17, 2013 10:54:39 AM

Hi

I bought one of these http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/... secondhand a while back to basically use as a htpc extender for the bedroom. While its powerful enough for this purpose, the onboard graphics are not up to pushing xbmc/wmc smoothly (it will do it but its clunky) I bought a Radeon HD 5450 HyperMemory - HDMI - 512 MB GDDR3 - PCI-Express 2.0 but the machine did not not like it, presumably its not compatible with the motherboard.
Can anyone tell me what type of card I need and where I might be able to get my hands on one? many thanks.

Shane
a c 180 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 11:06:23 AM

Your pc i think has pci slot so you need pci based gpu.
a c 142 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 11:52:46 AM

It's going to depend on which type of system you have. Based in the link you provided, you either have 2 PCI slots (via riser) or 2 low-profile PCI slots and 1 low-profile PCI-Ex1 slot.

Which do you have?

Note that this image shows the model with the PCI-Ex1 slot (small black expansion slot above the two white PCI slots). If this is the same as your system, then you may have other options.

-Wolf sends
Related resources
January 17, 2013 12:28:13 PM

Thanks for the reply wolf. Don't have it front of me but from memory, it is as in the photo. As i say, i did try a Radeon HD 5450 (low profile) but the machine would not recognise it. Someone did mention to me that it was due to the age/typr of the motherboard, does this make any sense?
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 1:01:28 PM

In the duplicate post I said this motherboard only supports pci cards, not pcie. Look for a pci low profile card from your preferred vendor.
January 17, 2013 1:15:40 PM

Wolfshadw said:
It's going to depend on which type of system you have. Based in the link you provided, you either have 2 PCI slots (via riser) or 2 low-profile PCI slots and 1 low-profile PCI-Ex1 slot.

Which do you have?

Note that this image shows the model with the PCI-Ex1 slot (small black expansion slot above the two white PCI slots). If this is the same as your system, then you may have other options.

http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/professionalpc/ESPRIMO/Images/EsprimoE_int.jpg

-Wolf sends

If there's PCI-Ex1 slot available, feel free to choose one of these:
http://reviews.cnet.com/graphics-cards/?filter=500240_9...

Otherwise go to this for further options:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
January 17, 2013 1:27:27 PM

So just to clarify, why would the Radeon HD 5450 HyperMemory card not have worked? By 'didnt work' i mean it did fit on the board (so obviously i do havea pci-e slot) Could it be that the card is PCI-Express 2.0?? I cant remember exactly what the result was, but I think the machine just wouldnt boot with the card installed.
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 1:38:32 PM

It may be the pcie version (since it did have a pcie slot). It may be 1.0 which might not support the 5450. If that's the problem and you still want to do the upgrade, look for a card that will work in a pcie 1.0 slot or go for a pci card.
a c 142 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 1:42:02 PM

Your motherboard has two PCI slots (not PCI-E). The two are not compatible. This is why your graphics card did not fit into the white slot on the motherboard.

PCI-E slots come in three flavors/sizes:
1) PCI-Ex16 - This is the normal slot for graphic cards and is also the lengthiest
3) PCI-Ex4
4) PCI-Ex1 - This is the slot you have (the black slot in the image).

A PCI-Ex1 expansion card will work in a PCI-Ex4/8/16 slot, but a PCI-Ex16 will not work with a PCI-Ex1 slot.

Any of these cards would work for you.

-Wolf sends
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 1:43:56 PM

Good call, Wolf. I think you may have solved his problem!
January 17, 2013 3:06:11 PM

Ok, starting to make sense! does it make sense then that my Radeon HD 5450 ex2 card did fit in the slop but did not work?

Thanks again...
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 3:09:05 PM

Yes, the pcie x1 slots will accept a x16 card but it will not work.
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 3:31:30 PM

No, you need one specifically made for pcie x1 or go with the old pci interface. Your only choices....
January 17, 2013 5:16:18 PM

Hmm, struggling to find anything that won't cost more than what I paid for the pc, guess it doesn't pay to buy old hardware..
a c 142 U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 7:32:13 PM

You need to look at the bottom of the card and the number of gold pins (where it plugs into your motherboard expansion slot). With your first link, you can see that the card has pins running most of the length of the card. That's a PCI-Ex16 card. In your second link, it shows the pins only running a small length of the card. That's a PCI-Ex1 card.

Here is a card with a PCI-Ex1 interface:

Here is a card with a PCI-Ex16 interface:

Note the difference at the bottom of the card.

Yes, they do make the same graphics card model with different interfaces:

HIS Radeon HD5450 PCI-Ex1
HIS Radeon HD5450 PCI-Ex16

Hope this help you out.

-Wolf sends
January 17, 2013 7:36:22 PM

Gotcha, thanks for your patience!
a b U Graphics card
January 17, 2013 7:44:40 PM

Those are two different cards.
If you look at the pics the pcie connector for the first is X16 the second pic is X1
January 17, 2013 8:13:39 PM

Thanks for the info folks, really appreciate it. The cards you've mentioned seem to be scare in this part of the world and the p&p from the US might be prohibitive. I'll have another look though, at least I understand now what I'm looking for.
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2013 1:38:53 AM

Yes, they are pretty obscure. As a matter of fact, your whole rig is pretty poor for anything but web browsing and "Paint", haha. If I were you I'd keep saving and get a good rig when you can afford it.
February 28, 2013 4:33:57 AM

Casmo said:
Hi

I bought one of these http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/techsupport/... secondhand a while back to basically use as a htpc extender for the bedroom. While its powerful enough for this purpose, the onboard graphics are not up to pushing xbmc/wmc smoothly (it will do it but its clunky) I bought a Radeon HD 5450 HyperMemory - HDMI - 512 MB GDDR3 - PCI-Express 2.0 but the machine did not not like it, presumably its not compatible with the motherboard.
Can anyone tell me what type of card I need and where I might be able to get my hands on one? many thanks.

Shane

I think you should try Asus ATI Radeon HD6450 if you really want a powerful source. It is one of the <a href="http://www.***/best-htpc-graphics-card">new htpc graphics card</a> in the market. I hope this can help.:) 
!